Sugo SG01/SG02 Owners... Case Mods?

antaholics

Weaksauce
I'm thinking of building a SFF PC with a SG02 (maybe SG01 if budget allows).. but I don't like how it doesn't have any windows.

I'm interested to see what kind of mods (windows, fans, paint, and others) Sugo owners have done for their case

Please post!

I was getting tired of having that *hot spot* under my PSU where the CPU HSF is located, its just mostly dead air, definentely not ideal since i'm OC. Until I get my SG04 case, I managed to cram a 80mm fan on the side to help feed some fresh air to the HSF and drop my temps. Simple and effective.

sidecool.jpg

wow, that looks like a tight fit...

did you do this with the case off? or did you also cut a fan opening in the case?

How much did it help with temperatures?

wow, that looks like a tight fit...

did you do this with the case off? or did you also cut a fan opening in the case?

How much did it help with temperatures?

Nope, it just slide right in with barely enough room to fit. I didn't cut a hole in the panel as i'm probably gonna sell the case in the near future.

Definently helped with my temps, before an overnight prime95 burn at 3.4oc, it jumped to 75c at one point! With the fan installed at 3.6ghz on prime 95, it reached only 62c. Not bad for just moving a fan around :cool:

So do you leave the side panel off then? From your judgement, how plausible is it to mod a fan hole on the side of the case?

Wanna sell me the case? =P

Well, the case has holes in it so cutting shouldn't be needed.
Personally, I flipped the HD mount cage around, as it was trying to suck hot air from my receiver. It was a HUGE pain, as it's not supposed to be moved. I had to flex the case a bit to get it out, and not all of the mounting screws line up afterwards. Made a difference though, as the hot air off of the HD's exhausts down near the VGA slot, and therefore not near the CPU...

So do you leave the side panel off then? From your judgement, how plausible is it to mod a fan hole on the side of the case?

Wanna sell me the case? =P

Lol, with my cat around? Hell no! The side panel is on all the time.

did you replace your hdd cage fan as well? what fans are they?

thanks

Yeah, the stock Silverstone ones were a bit noisy for my taste, I had some LED 80mms I had lying around for years that are a bit quieter but I also use a fan controller in front to keep the speed/noise down. No idea what make/model they are

blackice.jpg

I'm looking for some LED fans (probably 3x 80mm)... any suggestions on inexpensive, high cfm and "quiet enough" (not sounding like a jet engine) fans? I hope they do exist :D

did anyone do a window mod on their sugo case? I'm really interested to see how they turn out and where are good spots to place windows. If it's not too hard, I'd like to add one or two more case fans as well :D

wow that is REALLY impressive! :eek:

This being my first attempt to mod, I think I will stay more on the tame side :p

btw, I read your thread... how much did silverstone charge you for the windowed casing?

Lol, thanks man!

I think I only paid about $20 for the casing. However, I asked for one without the windows, as I was making my own. They were great to deal with, btw.

Lol, thanks man!

I think I only paid about $20 for the casing. However, I asked for one without the windows, as I was making my own. They were great to deal with, btw.

how much did you spend for the whole project? :) and are you planning to sell that rig?

how much did you spend for the whole project? :) and are you planning to sell that rig?

I think I only spent around $2000 on it. I don't recall anymore, as it's been a while already. I've already sold off most of the parts. I tell you what, I really miss the rig, and wish I had kept it together.

aww all that beautiful work and you took it all apart and sell it have you ever tried to build a bigger rig i wonder what would it be like and how much you can put into there :O. What happen to the R.O.G.U.E is that one sold as well? i have the same sugo case as yours but not as good as yours thought..lol maybe i should post it up when i can :)

Well, the Rogue could be considered a bigger rig. Lol, actually bigger in every way. I still have it, but the MSI motherboard took a dump on me. I've not got it replaced yet.

I'm currently planning a new project called Duality, as well as working on a Qmicra project for a friend. I've also started sketching what could be considered a Losias version 2...

I think I only spent around $2000 on it. I don't recall anymore, as it's been a while already. I've already sold off most of the parts. I tell you what, I really miss the rig, and wish I had kept it together.

Hey Bro! Glad to see you are still modding away!

You wouldn't still happen to have that working EVGA NF-44 SLI MB I sold you to use for that project??? I would love to get one for sentimental value and put it in my old Fragbox :D

Hey Bro! Glad to see you are still modding away!

You wouldn't still happen to have that working EVGA NF-44 SLI MB I sold you to use for that project??? I would love to get one for sentimental value and put it in my old Fragbox :D

Yeah, I'm still modding. In fact, I've found that I've got more ideas than my budget allows. Lol.

I don't have the NF-44 any longer. I sold it to a good home last spring. I do however have my original, that technically still works. It's got a ghetto repair job on a bad trace though...

Losias 2?!?1 :O will that be in a sugo case again? thats gonna be crazyy

Yeah, version 2... Although in this case, it will be a scratch build. There isn't a current case on the market that can accommodate the small form factor I'm looking for. It will have all the features of the Rogue, with the exception of peltier cooling (but still have water), in a package about 1/3 of the size.

In fact, I've adapted the meaning of LOSIAS. It originally stood for Lots Of Stuff In A Sugo, now it stands for Lots Of Stuff In A System. Rigs packed with hardware is my specialty now. Even the Qmicra I'm building will be packed full of goodies. Dual 120.2 radiators without sacrificing motherboard slots, is something I haven't seen before... :D

oh my god...does your SFF modded case ever get dusty? god i wish i had those hand on talent skill lol it would be sooo nice doing mods like yours.by any chance your not an electrician are you? cause it seems like you know alot about circuit board and such lol...

here it is my case could have add another radiator and i am planning to update to either a qx6850 or a Q9550 with crossfire of 4870 512mb or just one 4870 1g what would you guys recommended. And I also need to add another northbridge to the motherboard as well what would be the best choice of a NB cooler?

Okay here is a noob SOG1 question........ I picked up a used evolution a year or two ago and just now got around to "evaluating" it for a build. Was looking at the difference between that and the "F" model. It appears all they did was reverse and move the hdd cage to may way for the 12" GPUs.

1. Is that true......and
2. Anyone move the cage in an Evolution......and
3. If yes, was it hard?

Love my MicroFlys (original and MX6) but can't do a full coverage gpu water cooler because of where they located the PSU. It looks like my Evolution has enough room for the "on top" connectors for a said cooler ( http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaq88gt.html ) :D

Okay here is a noob SOG1 question........ I picked up a used evolution a year or two ago and just now got around to "evaluating" it for a build. Was looking at the difference between that and the "F" model. It appears all they did was reverse and move the hdd cage to may way for the 12" GPUs.

1. Is that true......and
2. Anyone move the cage in an Evolution......and
3. If yes, was it hard?

Love my MicroFlys (original and MX6) but can't do a full coverage gpu water cooler because of where they located the PSU. It looks like my Evolution has enough room for the "on top" connectors for a said cooler ( http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaq88gt.html ) :D

1. Yep, thats pretty much the difference besides using a steel chassis vs aluminum
2. I haven't
3. You can, but its a real PITA i'ver heard and be prepared to get that dremel out

1. Yep, thats pretty much the difference besides using a steel chassis vs aluminum
2. I haven't
3. You can, but its a real PITA i'ver heard and be prepared to get that dremel out

Finally took a real close look at it and yes it would be a PITA so will just be happy with the 8800GT (G92)! :D

Currently waiting on the gpuwc block to come in before doing anything "for real"! ;)

Right now I got a 80mm fan on the side (see second pic) and a 120mm fan on top, both intake. The Zalman 8700LED is blowing down on the CPU, and I flipped the PSU fan to blow down as well. Case temps are a bit high (taken from exhaust at the back of the case, about +4C to +10C from ambient), but that's the best I can do at the moment.

Because of the 120MM fan on top, I can't close the case right now, or load temps go up about 6-7C and case temps go way up. I'm probably going to cut a hole on top and put a metal fan grill over the fan... but I can't secure the fan to the case because it has no room to move (can't slide case back to take it off)...

I'm planning on getting side windows, but I'm not sure how to design them for airflow yet. I'll probably put a bunch of holes in it like LOSIAS in the first page... but other than that, I don't know if the acrylic will fit on the inside, or will I be forced to screw-mount it on the outside? Any suggestions?

rrrxif.jpg

zurvvb.jpg

I have tried to mount a "custom window on the inside but it is a tight fit because of the frame. I basically took what someone had started and I finished it. If you do one make sure you use .100" or thinner (if you can find it!) lexan as it is easier to cut and drill. The chassis part that is giving me the most trouble is the back vertical piece. I may have to try and grind down the area to make it easier to slide on and off. You can see that to the left and top of the window (fan brace). Also as mine is the Evolution the HDD fan is on the left side.

DCv3Window.jpg
DCv3Window3-4.jpg
DCv3WindowLargeHolesClose.jpg

The factory window is on the outside and that is more than likely why craigbru mounted his on the outside!

Right now I trying to work out the water cooling loop inside! :p

I have tried to mount a "custom window on the inside but it is a tight fit because of the frame. I basically took what someone had started and I finished it. If you do one make sure you use .100" or thinner (if you can find it!) lexan as it is easier to cut and drill. The chassis part that is giving me the most trouble is the back vertical piece. I may have to try and grind down the area to make it easier to slide on and off. You can see that to the left and top of the window (fan brace). Also as mine is the Evolution the HDD fan is on the left side.

// Image removed

The factory window is on the outside and that is more than likely why craigbru mounted his on the outside!

Right now I trying to work out the water cooling loop inside! :p

wow that actually looks really nice! How did you make the cuts? I'm thinking of making a design and having a machining place laser cut it for me, but I don't know how much that might cost x.x...

I was thinking of using 0.3mm acrylic, probably from home depot... but I'm not sure if it will fit on properly. Can you take a picture of how you mounted it on the inside?

What would be an easy yet secure way to mount the window on the outside?

I bought the case cover with handle from CraigBru. Wish I can say I put it to good use but I just havent had time to mod the sg01 I was going to use it with. Have two mods I want to work with but dont have time to start either right now.

I just took measurements on the sides of the case... on the left side, as long as I stay clear of the fan mount bar thing, and leave about 1cm clearance in the back, (as noted by jedihobbit), I will have lots of room to mount 3mm acrylic on the inside of the case

However, on the right side, the big horizontal piece (see my second picture above) guarding the PSU leaves me about 1~1.5mm on the inside of the case, which is clearly not enough.

If I only do window on one side, that would be fine, but if I do both sides, I will have to mount them outside. Can anyone tell me how to mount them outside so I can explore my options?

Thanks!

.......I was thinking of using 0.3mm acrylic, probably from home depot... but I'm not sure if it will fit on properly. Can you take a picture of how you mounted it on the inside?

What would be an easy yet secure way to mount the window on the outside?

Here is a couple of reasons NOT to source your window material from HD, Lowes, or any other hardware store.

WhyPre-Engineering2.jpg
HDDCoolingHolesinWindow.jpg

Go to a lockal glass shop and pick up a piece of lexan as regular plexiglass is too brittle to drill and cut easily.

If mounted on the out side I would use nuts and bolts....

thanks for the tip.. how much was the lexan? did you cut it yourself? I was thinking about getting acrylic and having it laser cut, but I don't know how much that might cost yet.

Is there any guides or tips online on how to mount windows on the outside with nuts/bolts? (what size/kind to use, etc so they dont look rough and ugly)

What you would do if you go my route is figure the size you want and have the glass shop cut for you. Believe my piece was 15ish and I drilled the holes. As far as a shop laser cutting I couldn't tell you as the technology has changed alot since I last looked.

As far as quides I haven't a clue, but would be willing to make suggestions as time allows. :D I would pm craigbru to see what he says.

What you would do if you go my route is figure the size you want and have the glass shop cut for you. Believe my piece was 15ish and I drilled the holes. As far as a shop laser cutting I couldn't tell you as the technology has changed alot since I last looked.

As far as quides I haven't a clue, but would be willing to make suggestions as time allows. :D I would pm craigbru to see what he says.

Thanks for the tips... I sent a pm to craigbru, hopefully I can get my plan in motion (design) this weekend. I'll probably start with the 120mm hole on the top first though. Maybe I'll find out how much lexan will cost as well

Just a few points of clarification:

- the first pics you posted are self-drilled lexan, yes?
- the second set of pics is HD acrylic self drilled?
- 15ish is in... USD?
- how hard is it to drill into the lexan and make everything look so clean?

also, if you could post a quick pic of how its mounted on the inside, that would be really helpful :)

Just a few points of clarification:

1 - the first pics you posted are self-drilled lexan, yes?
2 - the second set of pics is HD acrylic self drilled?
3 - 15ish is in... USD?
4 - how hard is it to drill into the lexan and make everything look so clean?

also, if you could post a quick pic of how its mounted on the inside, that would be really helpful :)

1. - yes the first set with the cleaner looking hole is with the lexan
2. - yes the second set shows what happened when I tried to drill "regular" plex that one would get from a hardware store
3. - yes as in $$
4. - it isn't all that hard, just wish I had had a drill press available when I did it. Do all of you marking and drill with the release paper in place. I had "C-clamped" the lex and a thin piece of wood to a workbench with the idea of drilling into the wood and not my bench. The biggest issue I had was that wood shavings would build up and not allow the material to rest flat on the wood. I used a cordless drill as they don't have as much torque as a "standard" one which gave me a bit more control. Also used a spring loaded center punch to locate the centers for the drill. You will still have some "rough" edges around the holes that I used a window scraper blade to clean up. It looks better in the pics than really is.

FanHolesStarted.jpg
FanHolesPattern.jpg

its a tip from Freezebyte in the first page of this thread. It's not mounted, just stuck there. It fits just perfect (0.5cm wiggle room on left/right, none up/down) w/ the P5E-vm :)

It seems my last entry may have been "lost in the mail"! :p

As of right now the window is temporarily held in place with blue “painters tape”. Haven’t permanently mounted it until I get the rubbing/binding issue figured out.

As far as suggestions on mounting an exterior window thing I’d down size the screw to either #8s or #6s with the finest thread possible (-42 unc?). BTW I believe I have at least one of the factory windows that may become available.

It seems my last entry may have been "lost in the mail"! :p

As of right now the window is temporarily held in place with blue “painters tape”. Haven’t permanently mounted it until I get the rubbing/binding issue figured out.

As far as suggestions on mounting an exterior window thing I’d down size the screw to either #8s or #6s with the finest thread possible (-42 unc?). BTW I believe I have at least one of the factory windows that may become available.

funny, I remember seeing your post lol.

What do you mean factory window? I am looking at using the "8/32 Thread, 5/8" Length
Stainless Socket Cap Screw & Nut Set" from http://www.mnpctech.com/thumbscrew.html... but they are a tad expensive. Where can I find these? :D

Alternately, I can mount lexan on the PCI side and modders mesh on the inside on the CPU side (a big 24" by 12" piece costs me $7 :D). It's still cutting it tight though.. what do you think? Will it fit? :p

Back