Suggestions on new Purchases

Ozymandias

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm about to purchase all the parts for my first water cooling system from www.directron.com . Here's what I'm about to order:
-Maze 4 Socket A water block (1/2" fittings)
-Hydor L20 water pump (185 GPH, 50" head)
-Swiftech RAD676 radiator (fits 2 120mm fans)
-2 Thermaltake 120mm Smart Case Fans
-Artic Silver 5
-Redline Water Wetter

I plan to pick up all the tubing, clamps, and the T-line at Home Depot. Is this tubing OK for watercooling? (If the link doesn't work, it's the Toro 1/2" drip irrigation tubing- 50ft for $6.90!) Obviously, I'm trying to keep this system as cheap as possible at this point.

Anyway, here are my questions:
--Is the Maze 4 still considered a good, budget WB, especially for $36?
-Will the Hydor L20 pump enough water for this system? Should I move up to a Hydor L30?
-Is the Swiftech radiator any good? It came as part of the 22501 Extreme water cooling kit from Swiftech. It's basically the biggest and cheapest radiator that directron sells, and I plan to mount it at the top of my midtower. I can't buy a heatercore from Autozone, because I don't know how to solder :( .

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Is the Maze 4 still considered a good, budget WB, especially for $36?

Yep, I had it, worked really nicely. Got it for not $36 though :-/

-Will the Hydor L20 pump enough water for this system? Should I move up to a Hydor L30?

I have a L20 and it works great. An L30 would be overkill for that loop.

-Is the Swiftech radiator any good? It came as part of the 22501 Extreme water cooling kit from Swiftech. It's basically the biggest and cheapest radiator that directron sells, and I plan to mount it at the top of my midtower. I can't buy a heatercore from Autozone, because I don't know how to solder

Probabily not. Youre better off getting the dual fan heatercore from Dangerden, it coems with the barbs presoldered on and all. I bought the heatercore from Autozone and JB Welded it on, basically I just cut the pipes so they were a lot shorter and put this stuff on like glue, then around the outside to make sure it was watertight. has worked great.

Thanks kronchev!

Are there any heater cores where I can just slip and clamp the tubing on, without any modification?

Unfortunately, I do not have a credit card (I'm only 17). My parents also don't like the idea of their credit card 3s "floating around on the Internet," or the idea of me spending my money on something frivolous like the computer. :rolleyes:

That's why I found an online retailer that accepts wire transfers :D .

kronchev said:
the thing about those is they only hold one fan. the double heatercore @ DD holds two. thats why I recommended it :)

Ah, right, I missed that he wanted a Dual 120 heatercore... My bad... :p

Ozymandias said:
Unfortunately, I do not have a credit card (I'm only 17). My parents also don't like the idea of their credit card 3s "floating around on the Internet," or the idea of me spending my money on something frivolous like the computer. :rolleyes:

That's why I found an online retailer that accepts wire transfers :D .

What about Paypal? Can you do that? I know FrozenCPU takes paypal. I believe theres some others too, I just can't remember at the moment.

I can't really use Paypal either, since I'm too lazy to put money in the ole bank account. I've been reading reviews of the Swifttech kit that the RAD676 is a part of, and everything I've read has been positive. I decided to go with the Swifttech radiator and the Hydor L30 pump (only $14 more than the L20) in the end. I'll probably get good temps, and more importantly, those 120mm fans will be quiet!

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Back