Suggestions on new pump/res combo

DogsofJune

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have a box that spends a lot of time on, and the room stays fairly cool, but I'm working with a 14700k , Thermal right Peerless Assassin in a Lian Li Lancool II mesh.
The box also has a RTX 3090 in it.

My thoughts are to get the CPU/GPU under water. I have a 360mm and a 420mm rads. The 360 in the front of the case and the 420 on top. Or vice versa depending on fit.
I have a Heat killer water block and am still looking for a block for the MSI 3090.

I am looking for a pump res combo. I have a Swiftech variable D5 with a separate res, but I'm thinking it'd look cleaner as a combo.

A little overwhelmed with choices as it's been a day or two since I last went shopping for pumps. The D5 is new in box, but has been sitting for a few years.

Thoughts on a pump/res combo and perhaps a block for the GPU?

And yes, I am the real Doj and I shall stand up...

This is super vague. When it comes to pump and res combos, it depends on what you want to deal with for mounting and what kind of look you are going for. Distro plates are nice, but don't exist for every case. Most of the pumps are there are D5 or DDC variants. One of them has higher head pressure but the other one technically has greater flow rates or something to that effect. I don't recall which is which on that. Frankly, it only matters in very specific circumstances which would favor one design over the other. The type of res also has a lot to do with which kind you'll see. The D5 is physically larger as I recall.

As for the water block it really depends on what card you have. That will determine what your options are. Love them or hate them, often EKWB is the only company that makes waterblocks for certain AIB models of graphics cards. Where as with reference designs or NVIDIA's Founder's Edition, you have a lot more choices.

Well the reason I posted is the conflicting things you can read on the net. I was looking at a Corsair unit, but some have said the efficiency of the pump was diminished by Corsairs design...
Not sure exactly what that entails as Corsairs stuff is usually rebranding. However I came across some fellas that tested the Corsair Hydro X and found it not pulling enough gph.

Then there is Thermaltake and questions on bad QC, EK and their sorted history.

My thoughts are to find a solution that sits all in one area. No pump here, res over there and a bunch of crisscrossing octopus anime fetish looking aesthetics. Plus finding something that will push through GPU, CPU, large rads.

I'm overthinking this perhaps

3090 is the MSI Ventus OC I believe. Will confirm when I get home, and a pic of the pump I currently have. The inlet outlet placement, to me, will not look as clean in the case I feel.

The case is white. Aesthetics people.....

1704215113033.png

Last edited:
You have a swiftech d5 vario, that is fine and reliable unless you want to control the speed through the motherboard. In that case you would need to buy a pwm D5 like this https://www.amazon.com/Aquacomputer-41105-D5-Pump-PWM/dp/B00ZXY94KU
Using a D5 combo res will indeed be simple and easier than having them seperate. Your GPU block will really come down to which one you like the look of. GPU blocks will all, generally, perform well if installed correctly.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I was kidding about the aesthetic, this box sits on the floor under a table. Couldn't care less about the looks of the block as long as it performs.

At least I mean the only aesthetic that concerns me is not having tubing all over to make all the bends.

If it hasn't already been mentioned. You just need a res top for your pump. Your pump is solid. Swiftech d5 pumps are Laing built and virtually bulletproof. Remove (it unscrews from the top) the stock d5 top and install the pump head onto the res of your choice. Bitspower, EK and Alphacool (to name a few) still make several res tops that will screw right onto your pump. You only need to figure out how tall you need it. Check out titanrig, modmymods or perfermance-pcs. If you need help finding something specific we'll help you get it sorted.

If it hasn't already been mentioned. You just need a res top for your pump. Your pump is solid. Swiftech d5 pumps are Laing built and virtually bulletproof. Remove (it unscrews from the top) the stock d5 top and install the pump head onto the res of your choice. Bitspower, EK and Alphacool (to name a few) still make several res tops that will screw right onto your pump. You only need to figure out how tall you need it. Check out titanrig, modmymods or perfermance-pcs. If you need help finding something specific we'll help you get it sorted.
That's a good suggestion. I forgot you could do that with these pumps. I have three of these swiftech pumps, one that has been in service since 2005/2006, and it never dawned on me to find a res for it. Not that I intend to use the one that is that old.
It's probably me that's old, not remembering you can swap parts on it.

Thanks, now to collect the last GPU block and get this show on the road.

After reading what a beast the 14700k is, I can't wait to flog it.....

Yes, sarcasm

That's a good suggestion. I forgot you could do that with these pumps. I have three of these swiftech pumps, one that has been in service since 2005/2006, and it never dawned on me to find a res for it. Not that I intend to use the one that is that old.
It's probably me that's old, not remembering you can swap parts on it.

Thanks, now to collect the last GPU block and get this show on the road.

After reading what a beast the 14700k is, I can't wait to flog it.....

Yes, sarcasm
Glad to help!
Haha, I hear ya bud. I swear my memory gets worse by the day. I'm sure my wife would agree with that sentiment 🤣
You can never have enough spare DDCs and or D5s lying around. It's always nice to have a pump or two in the parts bin just in case. I caught a sweet deal on several Koolance d5s when FrozenCPU went out of business. Didn't need em but it was one of those, too good to pass up situations. You just never know when inspiration may strike and that aircooled back up rig comes calling for some watercooled goodness.

Goodluck with the new loop/build!

Of the two combos I have, I like the Heatkiller better but it isn't installed yet. The Alphacool is a tick tall for my rig, I went with the Heatkiller 150mm to make clearance for a longer video card down the road.
https://modmymods.com/alphacool-eis...glas-250mm-with-d5-vpp655-pwm-pump-13514.html vs https://modmymods.com/watercool-heatkiller-tube-150-d5-mp-30214.html
I have to make the mounts for the 180x360mm rad (180mm spacing), the shorter res will move the bottom up higher on the Heatkiller. Alphacool 13514 shown.

Attachments

• preliminary2.jpg
    preliminary2.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 0
Back