Omionous11

Weaksauce
Hey guy's,

I am looking for a new PSU for my future upgrades. I currently running:

i5 4670k OC at 4.4GHz
corsair h75i water cooling
8 case fans
980 ti OC at +250MHz

I'm planning next year to get a second 980 ti and probably go with a water cool build.

Looking for a white PSU if possible but black is fine. Also I was quickly browsing PSU and notice some have a hybrid mode, what exactly is that ?? I'll spend up too $250ish Canadian.

White? Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W? Seems right up your alley...

Hard to go wrong with Seasonic really, a year ago I was aiming for a 1000W unit myself (for the CF R9 290 not listed in sig) and just ended up with a Seasonic X-1250 because it was cheaper than the Platinum 1000W at the time.

Probably overkill once GPUs start focusing on efficiency again but ehh...

Man I really need to update that sig, might as well wait until I'm done with the Skylake build tho! :D

I know it seems like a big price difference, but wouldn't the Snow Silent be closer to the 1000W Platinum in performance than the X-1050? The latter's the oldest of the three, hence the cheapest, and probably the least efficient (relatively speaking, still a Gold rated unit for whatever's that worth).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151105

Mind you, there's still a decent price difference even vs the Platinum, more so after MIR. But yeah, Seasonic ends up competing with itself all the time, that's the very reason I ended up with an X-1250. Didn't have any trouble with the MIR either.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone !!

Hmm I'm loving the look of the SeaSonic Snow Silent-1050w plus it platinum certified which is nice ! However for the same price the SeaSonic X-1250 has more wattage which would be overkill but I wouldn't need another PSU tell it died lol.

Also it comes "Certified Haswell Ready for 4th gen CPU" I'm running a haswell chip, how would this benefit me ?

Hmm I'm loving the look of the SeaSonic Snow Silent-1050w plus it platinum certified which is nice ! However for the same price the SeaSonic X-1250 has more wattage which would be overkill but I wouldn't need another PSU tell it died lol.

Also it comes "Certified Haswell Ready for 4th gen CPU" I'm running a haswell chip, how would this benefit me ?

According to the reviews, both models are Haswell-ready.

(I'm not talking about the older XM version of the X-1250, but the new XM2 one:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/SS-1250XM2/
The most interesting things on this side are the badges that depict the unit's 80 Plus Gold, Nvidia SLI, ErP Lot 6 2013, and Intell Haswell ready certifications.
)

Huh, didn't even realize there was an older version... The XM2 has been around quite a while tho, that review is from August of last year, I bought mine in July 2014, so I imagine the older one is all but gone.

I wasn't even advocating for the X-1250 mind you, I think it's overkill, but if it's still cheaper than the Platinum 1K units then I guess it's still tempting, as it was for me... Unless the X-1050 can be had for even less. :D

If it weren't for my power hog R9 290s I would've gone 1,000W for sure. Shoot if it wasn't for them I might still have my AX750, kinda regret not getting the AX850 way back when as that might've sufficed if I didn't OC the GPUs.

For your usage, literally just useless marketing. What it means is that it won't shut down when system load is very low, like sub 75 watts or so; for enthusiast dual GPU computers, literally the only scenario where this occurs is with AMD's zero core combined with Haswell's low power sleep states.

Ok thanks for the clarification :) both PSU are the same price or within 5 dollars of each other. So I think I might just go with the Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W. It's white which is a bonus but it going to run silent and it's platinum rated which is awesome. I don't think I'll ever need 1200 watts so the overkill would just be a waste.

Back