suggestions for either a switch or wireless access point.

Visable-assassin

I <3 Hybrids
Currently my network here at the house is based around a D-Link DGL-4300.
I will be adding a network drop to one of my living rooms and I want to add either a switch or a wireless access point with no less than 4 ports. The access point isnt a must...it is a want, as i want to expand the range of my network through out the house. I do not care if it is 54mb or 108mb it doesnt matter. If D-link doesnt make a wireless access point with 4 ports for wired connections then please suggest an AP that wont give me any issues on my network.
If it will work (be compatible with my setup Ive got my eye on this Linksys WET200 unit.
Now for a regular old switch I am looking at the D-Link DGS-2205 it does gigabit and has 5 ports which is pretty much all that I need.

Now networking is not my forte but I should be able to just run my network drop and plug up the switch then connect my 360, blu-ray player and what not and be off to the races correct?

suggestions please guys..I only wanna do this one time :)

or if all else fails I could get the switch and at a later time add the access point to the switch and be good to go right?

You plan to run a wire to your living room and wish to have more than one port there, hence the switch. And you want to extend the range of your wireless network to other rooms of your house, correct?

If that's the case then the bridge you have picked out is not what you need. Bridge devices are used when you want to use wireless instead of a wire - for instance if you wanted to offer network access to an outbuilding (garage) without having to run a wire out there.

The switch you picked out however is fine -- I'd maybe get the 8-port since the two are so close in price, but meh.

Back to the wireless -- you have a couple of options:

1) Add a wireless range extender device or a more powerful external antenna to your DGL-4300.

2) Turn off the wireless in your DGL-4300 and stand up a new AP in a more centralized location where it can reach more of your home.

3) Upgrade your router to a higher powered model such as the DIR-655 or DGL-4500.

4) Add an AP with a different SSID on a different channel and switch between them based upon which 'zone' of your house you are in.

The first two options are probably your best bet; get a range extender such as this one.
For $35 you can probably afford to add a couple around the house.

Hope that helps.

You plan to run a wire to your living room and wish to have more than one port there, hence the switch. And you want to extend the range of your wireless network to other rooms of your house, correct?

If that's the case then the bridge you have picked out is not what you need. Bridge devices are used when you want to use wireless instead of a wire - for instance if you wanted to offer network access to an outbuilding (garage) without having to run a wire out there.

The switch you picked out however is fine -- I'd maybe get the 8-port since the two are so close in price, but meh.

Back to the wireless -- you have a couple of options:

1) Add a wireless range extender device or a more powerful external antenna to your DGL-4300.

2) Turn off the wireless in your DGL-4300 and stand up a new AP in a more centralized location where it can reach more of your home.

3) Upgrade your router to a higher powered model such as the DIR-655 or DGL-4500.

4) Add an AP with a different SSID on a different channel and switch between them based upon which 'zone' of your house you are in.

The first two options are probably your best bet; get a range extender such as this one.
For $35 you can probably afford to add a couple around the house.

Hope that helps.

If i add the switch can the wireless range extender be added to the switch? or will it require another line to be run?
Ill be up in the attic this weekend which is why im asking.

If i add the switch can the wireless range extender be added to the switch? or will it require another line to be run?
Ill be up in the attic this weekend which is why im asking.
The range extender feeds off of your wireless signal so you don't really need to plug it in - that said, I'd recommend you plug directly into your desktop or laptop in order to configure it before letting it go on its own. Just to make sure it's extending the correct wireless signal. :)

Why setup two different SSIDs? For that matter just get another wireless router, turn off the WAN port, plug one port on the "switch" side into your current router, give the new router an IP on the same subnet, setup default gateway and DNS to the old router, setup wireless with same settings as your current router. There you go.

There is no need to get a wireless repeater or range extender, they just cause problems IMO. What you want to do can be easily accomplished with just buying another Wireless router or a switch and a dedicated WAP.

Why setup two different SSIDs? For that matter just get another wireless router, turn off the WAN port, plug one port on the "switch" side into your current router, give the new router an IP on the same subnet, setup default gateway and DNS to the old router, setup wireless with same settings as your current router. There you go.
It wasn't an ideal situation, hence why it was low on the list - but I didn't suggest configuring them exactly the same because I honestly think that causes more problems in the long run. If they are out of range of one another then it's not too big of a deal but if they overlap it can cause them to fight (constant switching channels, etc.)
There is no need to get a wireless repeater or range extender, they just cause problems IMO. What you want to do can be easily accomplished with just buying another Wireless router or a switch and a dedicated WAP.
I'll have to politely disagree but that's just because my experience has been opposite of yours. Some repeaters can cause more headaches than they are worth but that's why getting one with a good track record is important. Still no guarantees -- but that's why you try things out and find what works best in your individual situation.

OP, you can definitely accomplish your goal in a variety of manners. Experiment and see what works best for you. Try and buy local if you can that way you can always return what doesn't work for you.

Back