Suggestion: Summary Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethk

2[H]4U
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'll ask anyways - any chance we could get a summary post added to threads? This is a post that's editable by the community (maybe limited to more senior forum members only?) and locked near the top of a thread (similar to what FatWallet has), summarizing the most useful information in the thread.

Sometimes, the original poster will maintain a long-running thread's first post, but in most cases, they don't, and you are forced to read through the entire thread, culling out information, and in threads with bad/out-of-date information, it's hard to find the 'right' answer to a question. Some benefits:
  • Long running threads can be summarized at the start of a thread, whether the OP updates it or not
  • Solves the issue of popular threads with an inactive or banned thread creator
  • Reduces forum resources being used on searches
  • Reduces thread clutter from the same questions repeated over and over, answers posted over (and sometimes incorrectly) and bickering over repeated questions
  • Puts the most up to date information front and center, reducing bad information

In some sub-forums like the display subforum, where there's a decent attempt to maintain one thread per model (not always successful) this would be a god-send. If there are some objections to providing this functionality across the board, even limiting it's use to something that moderators can enable when warranted (i.e. long-running/popular threads with inactive/banned thread creators) would be a good compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back