Suggestion for monopod and tripod

Stereodude

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a new tripod and a monopod. I'd like a tripod that has an arm, or the capability for an arm to be mounted on the top of it for macro and other uses.

They both need to be able to hold a Canon 10D + Sigma 100-300 EX F4 APO (790g/27.9oz for body + 1480g/52.2oz lens = 2270g/80.1oz)

Any suggestions?

Well I bought a cheap Wal-Mart tripod for my A70, but that ways a little less that your set-up.

Your best bet is Bogen. That is what everyone will say. Try your local camera shop, its better to check them first.

I think you should mention a price range if you want to get worthwhile answers :)

Suggestions. Seems like those legs would be your best bet, then one of those heads for $90ish and then for the monopod something like this and all that should put you right around your $250 mark, though you'd have to switch heads between the tripod and monopod.

I was looking at the Bogen / Manfrotto 3001 Pro (black), the 3021 Pro (black), and the the Giottos MT 9160 for tripod legs. I think I'm leaning towards the Giottos from what I've see of the features. I like the extra flexibility of the of the center column and it's more versatile lateral arm capability.

I was thinking a Bogen / Manfrotto 679B / 3216 Monopod.

I'm still pretty clueless on heads. Can the same head work on both well, or do I need a different head for each to get good results? I presume I need a ball head for the monopod. I tend to favor a 3 way pan/tilt head for a tripod though.

You can use one head easily on both, it just screws on. Personally I use a ballhead on both monopod and tripod since I feel it offers more flexibility, but they both have their advantages of course. I'd say go to a Ritz Camera or local camera shop and mess around with the heads they have there and see if you'd like a ball or pan/tilt more.

I was thinking of these heads.

Bogen / Manfrotto 3030 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head
Bogen / Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head

Of course like all good projects this exceeds the budget. :D

At B&H:

Bogen / Manfrotto 3030 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head - $57.40
Bogen / Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head - $58.20
Bogen / Manfrotto 3216 3 Section Monopod (Black) - $37.20
Giottos MT-9160 3-Section Tripod Legs - $124.95

Total before shipping: $277.75

I'll have to see if I can find all these parts locally to try them out (and buy if the pricing is reasonable).

Back