Sudden problems 2012 R2 Server / Clients / RDS

r00k

2[H]4U
Here's the situation:

I have a client with a 2012 R2 Standard Domain Controller
It was installed around August this year
It runs a single Hyper-V instance of 2012 R2 Standard, configured as a member server on the domain, and set up for RDS so that they can remote in and work on their software.
Clients in the office are all Windows 7 and 8 Pro and joined to the domain
There are 8 mapped network drives.
The only changes made were on Wednesday, where I installed Licensing for RDS and the accompanying user CAL's.

Yesterday, i was contacted and told that remote desktop was not functioning. Any attempts by domain user accounts get this error:

I can log in via the local administrator account.

In addition, on an internal workstation, none of the mapped network drives function, instead prompting for a user name / password. It appears that updating a password at the PDC does not affect access, nor does it update the required credentials at the workstation: they appear to be using the cached login. When attempting to log in with a different user account on the same workstation, i get "the logon server is unavailable".

The DC is pointing to itself for DNS.

The DC can be pinged from the workstation.

Changing the firewall on the DC does not help.

The member server is pointing to the DC for DNS.

Last night the issue seemed resolved when i changed the domain policy to Require use of specific security layer for remote (RDP) connections / RDP

The issue seems to have come back with a vengeance.

I have been scouring the web for several hours and not getting very far. Anyone have some suggestions?

I'd work on just the mapped drives/user logon first.
Any gpo set on the users ou or PC ou?
Dcdiag comes back clean?
Clear the DHCP entries, dns entries and see if a PC getting a new IP helps after a reboot?

dcdiag comes clean.
dhcp is served from the comcast router, with dns issued to point to the pdc.

an NSLOOKUP on a client workstation appears to be contacting a forward lookup server first though.. hmmmm.

pinging the FQDN of the server returns negative. pinging the host name returns positive.

Is move DHCP to the server, never liked routers to do DHCP in office domains, just my 2 cents

(guessing the dc will have to nslookup for each DNS request)

OK, finally had a breakthrough:

when i disabled IPv6 on the client machines, suddenly everything works.

Now to work backwards from the fix: what the F*(% happened?

Ipv6 on the router .... Is that via DHCP or via the isp?
Sounds like it wasn't set to use the dc ipv6 for DNS

/glad its working

Back