STUPID Write Protection

All-Or-Nothing

Weaksauce
Workers at my house shut off my Livingroom power with out warning me and now one of my hard drives has the STUPID write protection enabled.

I did the DISKPART process and it said successful but write protection is still there. (did it about 10 times).

I also tried the REGEDIT but write protection value won't change to decimal. It already has zero for the value.

Any other suggestions I could try besides kicking a cat...LOL

I

Is this an external drive (and would it be a WD?) What version of Windows are you running? Which diskpart command did you use? Have you checked that the permissions didn't get screwed and you have full controll?

Is this an external drive (and would it be a WD?) What version of Windows are you running? Which diskpart command did you use? Have you checked that the permissions didn't get screwed and you have full controll?

It is a 3TB Seagate external (3000M001). I am running Windows Vista 32bit. I used

attributes disk clear readonly
attributes volume clear readonly

Have you tried this Registry Fix as well..
Also check the security Tab of the Drive to ensure you have Full Access rights, or Owner Access.
I have seen this work for systems where the registry key was missing and should persist after a reboot as well.

Navigate to the following registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Click on StorageDevicePolicies and on the right-hand side there should be a DWORD value labelled "WriteProtect". If there isn't one, create it. Either way, make sure it has a value of 0. Double-click it to change it.

Do the same with the following two locations (creating any non-existent keys/values along the way):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control

What I always do in such cases is to boot a recent Linux Live-CD and look at the kernel log.

Back