stubborn pc on domain, logs in somehow

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
user needs to get into her profile with username that is valid for domain. she signs on and it takes her to another desktop, even though she signed in with the account that matches the local user (with the actual desktop/doc files). this "strange" account originally had no documents. i copied settings over manually but it will not due do to some mapped network drive configurations.

rename the local profile while on another admin account then have the user login?

are there any profile helper tools?

I'm not quite getting this. She's trying to access a domain account, or a local account (they are separate) ?

The second part of your post sounds like a corrupted profile issue - when windows will create a "temp" replacement - in which case to corrupted one will need to be deleted after recovering the documents. You could try to repair the profile, but it's easier and faster to create a new one with the recovered documents.

See : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

in theory...

1. rename current profile lets say bob
to bob1, when logged on as admin

2. have bob login... creating new profile (since its from the domain)

3. copy files over from bob1 to bob?

4. im worried if i manually add user it will have the same issue

in theory...

1. rename current profile lets say bob
to bob1, when logged on as admin

2. have bob login... creating new profile (since its from the domain)

3. copy files over from bob1 to bob?
Yup.

4. im worried if i manually add user it will have the same issue
Yea, just let AD create the profile at next logon.

As long as you back up the original profile directory theres no reason to be nervous.

Hell, if you back up the profile directory (c:\users\<username> or c:\documents and settings\<user name>), you can even right-click My Computer, go to Properties, then Advanced (Advanced System Properties, then Advanced in Vista and Win7), then Settings under User Profile. Highlight the offending account and delete it.

Reboot the computer and the log in and the profile will be recreated.

Then you take your documents out of your backed up profile folder and put them in your new profile.

If you make a local account the same as a domain account then that could be your problem. Unless I misread what you said you shouldn't have the machine set up this way.

ideally it isnt... my guess is the profile is hosed... not sure what happened to this one i didnt follow it up

ok frustrated again.

machines are on domain "blah.com", state at login windows screen "domain is not available" .

normally to fix this we have to login as admin: change it to a workgroup, restart pc, and change it back to the domain.

this just doesnt seem right is there an easier way?

only way to login is to log on to the pc (as the domain name, instead of the domain) as a local admin. to do this.
-before its completed network users cannot login

What steps have you taken?

First check the physical connection.
Check IP settings.
If possible, plug into a different port on your switch.

Usually its a network layer issue not an application layer

issue is always only 1 pc out of many at a building... ip settings/switch etc dont have issues once you do this
-this is all over phone/gta/vnc

these commands fixed it not sure why: (maybe your right about network/ip issues)
route -f
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

arp -d *

nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset reset.log
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Back