Street Fighter 6

After reading that, unlocking costumes is pretty much the only thing I'll finish up for single player. Gief modern controls lose some range thank god so you can bait into trying it and punish on whiff. A lot of modern gief players have been mashing it so doing the footsie out of range game really tricks them up. I've spent the last week turning my sf4 fight stick into a hit box setup as my left arm just isn't joystick friendly anymore since breaking it in 2 spots years ago.

I still have yet to run into a truly good player using modern controls. It's a scary prospect, IMO, but once that might not exist outside of random encounters with Japanese pros. I know a few of them are experimenting with it. In general, it feels like I'm only seeing like 1/2 the cast. I have yet to play a Blanka. I've only run into 2 Hondas and 2 Dhalsims, too. That's with several hundred matches. Blanka and Honda are apparently holy terrors with online latency, so I guess I'm glad. I've come to expect bad Wi-Fi connections and obscure flags whenever I see Ken and Dee Jay...which is pretty often.

Not sure if anyone else has tried playing Avatar matches, but they don't have any level scaling. If you aren't within 5-10 levels of someone you're going to straight up get bodied off attrition alone. That doesn't even factor in outfit boosts and items that raise your stats permanently. I don't know how much of that stuff comes into play, but your life bar absolutely does.

Dhalsim is like rare as hell to see players use. Outside of occasional pro video play that shows on my feed, they are low use. Honda and Blanka have use in the sense they have some broken safe charge attacks, but once you figure the timing of them or just how to straight deal with that the mind game just about wrecks them. The upper tier blankas are turning into shit fest though with him tossing his dolls around and using safe moves to knock you into the corner then a few punishes to wreck you.

My hit box conversion. For a step drill, amazon cheap bits are a waste of time. I picked up a impact milwaukee step drill bit with 1/16 sized steps and had the holes drilled in 10min. 15/16 will get you to 23.82mm, while 1 1/8 will get you to 28.5mm A bit of creative use of thr step drill got me the final amount. I had to cut the bracket on the back side where the left and right buttons go. Thankfully the bracket is redundant and the portion used as a joystick bracket can remain. if you want to revert. Wire harness to use buttons is made by brook and I got it on amazon.
20230619_134550.jpg
20230619_134133.jpg
20230618_120746.jpg
signal-2023-06-16-19-08-39-260.jpg

That's pretty damn cool. I've never been much for sticks or hitboxes, but I appreciate the DIY nature of the scene when it comes to both. I'm just rocking a PS5 pad. I miss my SPD's more than I'd like (I've been using the Xbox analog stick for years), but it's otherwise fantastic.

Me too. It's my go to game for unwinding after a long day of work. Beating the shit out of idiots with Zangief is dope af.

I think it's great. There are some elements that I don't necessarily like (drive impact and corner chaos = just too prevalent), but my opinions might change over time. After SF5, it's wonderful.

Single player is a weird effort, but it's a decent effort. The core game is pretty good. I finally understand why I had weird slow downs mid fight and it turns out my 7800x3d tells the game it's fast, but still not quite there yet. I turned on shader warmup after seeing the video talk about that. I did notice my 5800x3d box popped that on when I went to sit down for a session on the couch and big TV. Being able to just fire it up on a htpc with no configuration (short of the shader compile is nice).

After a month, it seems like strategies have solidified. In tournaments, most players are just blowing all their meter on extended (and high damage) drive rush combos. Drive impacts are used here and there, but maybe only once per round. Some players/characters rely on them more and some never at all. Parries and drive reversals have been seemingly abandoned. Initially perfect parries felt like they could be a game changer, but they scale the damage back so horribly that they're barely worth doing. The single most powerful move in the game, Zangief's critical art, hurts less than a normal light SPD after a perfect parry. The more hits you do, the worse the scaling is, too.
I wouldn't be surprised if they make tweaks to how much meter things like drive rush and drive impact use. Damage scaling, too. Nothing big, but an extra bar here and there and more/less scaling can go a long way.

Character-wise, most of the cast is seeing action at high-levels. Most people think Lilly is the worst character and Zangief isn't great, either. They can still hang in most matches, though. I do think Lilly will probably get some buffs soon, though. She has a couple moves that feel like Capcom forgot about (her non-invincible EXDP and slow Level 1) that could make her more viable instantly. On the higher end of things, it seems like 1/2 the cast is thought to be really strong if the not the best, so that's a good thing. We've seen quite a few characters winning or placing top 3 in major events, too.

The game is absolutely dope. I am finally understanding how to play the damn thing. However, as you progress on ranked match, there are some people who can combo the shit out of your sorry ass so fast it isn't funny. Still Iron 3 with Zangief lol. That Bronze seems very far away.

learning to play hitbox style has been interesting for me. I'm learning to try to consistently do combos and recognize good punish moments. The training mode has been good on evaluating which combos I should do to be efficient, but I keep falling on good old combos for damage. The juggle combos that require strict timing still eludes me. I can do them in the combo training more of a fluke than being consistent.

Personally, I still struggle in the corner. Zangief's damage all relies on meter so it's like I'm constantly in or near burnout. He also has no reversal options, so he's pretty much boned once things reach the edges.
On the combo side of things, he really doesn't have all that much. A few basic drive rush sequences, but (again) those quickly lead to burnout if you actually follow through all the way. I find that the triple chop is the best option since it knocks down and you can do it immediately to avoid burning out your whole gauge. I can do this long and involved 3 headbutt sequence that drains everything...or I can do the chop and do 70% of that damage and use very little...hmmmm.

IMO they need to tweak his level 1 super to grab at different heights. You have 1/2 the cast firing off their supers after literally any hit while Gief is stuck waiting for a perfect jump arc to even attempt his. It's the biggest reason everyone hates his level 3. Gief players seemingly always get one because levels 1 and 2 are so damn situational.

The game is absolutely dope. I am finally understanding how to play the damn thing. However, as you progress on ranked match, there are some people who can combo the shit out of your sorry ass so fast it isn't funny. Still Iron 3 with Zangief lol. That Bronze seems very far away.
Wait till you get to platinum!

The game is so unforgiving on timing of moves to buffer in, I want to do a crouch hp into a qc motion in like 10 frames else it doesn't register as a jinrai and I end up just standing there looking pretty on a blocked uppercut. I can get this on maybe 70% of attempts online

Arslan Ash is playing.

About 4 years ago, he was a breakout Tekken star and won both Evo Japan and Evo America, in the same year. His first time competing at Evo.

Wait till you get to platinum!

Honestly, I doubt I'll ever even bother with ranking up. You can play anyone you want in Battle Hub and I've found some of the biggest killers on there have 0 rank at all. The few times I played on Fighting Ground, I straight up bodied a pair of platinum players. Plus, it's just quicker to find matches that way.

Arslan Ash is playing.

About 4 years ago, he was a breakout Tekken star and won both Evo Japan and Evo America, in the same year. His first time competing at Evo.

Ash is like the Justin Wong of the Tekken world. He's never out there busting out crazy Sako combos or psychological warfare like Punk. He's just masterful at ranges, working the basics, and having ice in his veins. He's still the man to beat in Tekken IMO. Even when he doesn't win, he's the guy people are scared of the most.

Juri players are giving me trouble. It's like they have unlimited pressure and I can't do much unless they whiff something.

Juri players are giving me trouble. It's like they have unlimited pressure and I can't do much unless they whiff something.

Same. She's like Cammy, only her special moves are all safe, too. Like 90% of Juri players suck and I can Tundra Storm them into Bolivia, but the good ones are absolutely beastly. Never-ending pressure, no recovery, and gigantic damage if anything ever lands. She can actually punish drive reversals off her medium attacks, too. IMO, Juri is probably the #1 character right now. If not her, maybe JP. Dude can take 50% of your health from anywhere onscreen. I still think people might figure him out, though.

Street Fighter 6 downloadable content character Rashid will launch on July 24, Capcom announced. Rashid will be unlocked for owners of the Deluxe Edition, Ultimate Edition, or Year 1 Character Pass. Players can also try out Rashid for free for one hour with one Rental Fighter ticket, obtainable via the in-game Fighting Pass.

Rashid storms onto the scene with new and classic moves characterized by parkour and lightning quick movements, including:
  • Arabian Cyclone – A new special move that performs a spinning kick and conjures up a whirlwind; can be used as a standalone blow, or transitioned into Rolling Assault or Wing Stroke.
  • Arabian Skyhigh – A new double jump move that keeps opponents guessing on where Rashid will land from the air.
  • Super Rashid Kick – Level 1 Super Art that unloads a devastating kick while soaring forward and up through the air.
  • Ysaar – Previously Rashid’s V-Trigger move in Street Fighter V, this Level 2 Super Art summons a slow-moving whirlwind projectile that can be used to pressure opponents.
  • Altair – Rashid’s Level 3 Super Art calls forth a tempest that lifts opponents before he rains down on them with a monsoon of powerful blows.

When they giving us Oni?
Started playing as Cammy and I am getting better with her. Still suck ass with Ryu which wasn't a problem before but I can't seem to land most of his stuff correctly.
Must. Practice. More.

Last edited:
When they giving us Oni?

Probably not any time soon. The first set of DLC characters are definitely Rashid, Ed, AKI (a new character), and Akuma. With Akuma inbound, you have to imagine Oni immediately goes to the backburner. Wild guess, I bet they start looking at Abel, Sodom, Necro, Remy, Makoto, Yun/Yang, and maybe even Hakan next. They could have a season of mostly/all new characters, too.

Personally, I'm now interested to see what their first balance patch ends up being like. Are they going to weaken drive rush and YOLO Ken and Juri? Are Gief and Lilly going to get buffs? Is perfect parry damage scaling going to be tweaked?

For the life of me I cannot seem to get the timing of the Ken corner crazy kicks down. I've seen people ex and light juggle 4 crazy kicks, but I can only get the first set to connect, let alone do this in online properly. I've got a good grip on Ken high damage combos and am slowly opening up to different ways to open a combo. I am missing a ton of DI counter opportunities and need to make it second nature to mash my DI button when someone opens themselves to be crushed. I also need to work on following up a Ken standing high kick knockback and converting it into a drive run combo. In a lot of my matches I don't find myself as dominated as I did in previous sf games and even feel like I have a chance versus master players for once, though I know it's just local master players near me. I find I am not recognizing throw opportunities as much either so I need to learn to sneak them in more often rather than just rely on damage combos.

I don't think drive rush needs to be weakened at all and Ken and Juri can find themselves punished just as badly as they can punish opponents. It's just knowing when to take your turn and not messing the timing or being goaded into a predictable choice.

Last edited:
Here is a nub question, how do you do the quick dash w/ art? (blue green version instead of the red black version).
Xbox controls preferred with classic or modern scheme. I have tried a few things and I can't still for the life of me get this right whereas, idiots are spamming me all the time. Thanks to my soft dick punch I can stop them most of the time or if I am near just grab and throw them but that art move pisses me off since I can't do it myself lol.

Here is a nub question, how do you do the quick dash w/ art? (blue green version instead of the red black version).
Xbox controls preferred with classic or modern scheme. I have tried a few things and I can't still for the life of me get this right whereas, idiots are spamming me all the time. Thanks to my soft dick punch I can stop them most of the time or if I am near just grab and throw them but that art move pisses me off since I can't do it myself lol.

There are 2 ways to do the dash, aka. the drive rush. The first way is to press and hold whatever you have set to parry (medium punch + kick on classic controls) and then tap forward twice. Technically you can tap forward, parry, then forward again to do an even better version (that uses a hair less gauge) but the timing takes some getting used to.
The second way is to actually interrupt certain moves by tapping forward twice. An example is Ryu's low medium punch. If you tap forward twice while he's doing it, you'll interrupt your own move and you do additional combos that aren't normally possible. I don't know what moves can be cancelled for which characters, but you can play around in training mode to find some.

So, apparently they're actually about to allow alternate inputs for drive rush. It might be as simple as pressing forward + parry starting this weekend. Not sure about the cancel version, though. That kinda makes me think they want people to go ham with it.

EDIT: Apparently that relates to the cancel version. Basically, when you do an attack that can be canceled into a drive rush, you will now press MP/MK to automatically cancel that attack into a drive rush. I can see that making some of those long-ass combos a bit easier. The one thing this will do is potentially allow me to go back to playing with an analog stick. All the crazy tapping in SF6 made me bail on it. That might just make it more feasible. I don't struggle with the occasional dash, but it made some of those cancels pretty much impossible. Yet I never miss SPD's with the analog and I do botch it on the d-pad. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Most normal moves can be drive rush cancelled, ie on hit confirm just mash forward until the dash happens. To do a drive rush run, I've been doing forward + parry, forward. Normal way is to parry forward forward, but this is more frames to do and telegraphs your intent.

The qol change should make it easier for you to do a drive rush cancel now. It makes having dedicated parry button useful.

The changes just less than a few weeks before evo is kinda sketch. BW Rashid and a drive rush cancel, it's going to mess with a lot of people. Here I am still struggling vs good Lily players lol

Last edited:
Nub question 2. Which is the parry button? I keep hitting parry accidentally but still don't know wtf causes it.
Yes, I am novice at this game. But am able to own some nubs w/ Gief and Cammy.

The parry button location depends on your controller. It is assigned as L2 (PS controller), or the Left Trigger. It is the macro key mp + mk. On a fight stick it would be more or less out of the way as the 4th column button bottom so I have to really try to hit it on my setup.

On my custom hitbox setup, I installed a button to the left of light punch which I was trying to use as my throw button, but with the qol change coming up, I will be reassigning it as parry since I can easily sync light punches and that button to get a drive cancel to trigger though drive cancel light was already easy to me as I could buffer forward perfectly using a hitbox.

Current setup of my controller. I have a reactionary drive impact button for the flat of my hand and what was the throw button next to light punch. I'll have to mess with it after patch to see if throw or parry fits that spot. I converted l2 as my Ken run 2 kicks button to make corner carries with Ken easier to do though I have not incorporated the tactic into my gameplay yet.

20230711_184338.jpg

With so many functions just using 2 side-by-side buttons, the only macros buttons I have setup are punch x 2 and kick x 2 on my triggers. That's mostly out of habit since I've been using those for EX moves forever. Things like grabs, parries, and DI's are convenient enough for me with the standard control setup. I appreciate that since they could have made things pretty messy. With modern controls, it's clear they're trying to keep execution barriers to a minimum so they clearly don't want to limit people. There do seem to be more frame-specific combos this time around, though. It definitely isn't SF5 where you can mash like mad and still execute and/or stay safe.

2x punch and 2x kick have different moves depending on if light + med or med + hard.

Cammy's roll into a drop kick hits high in 1 version and low with the other set which can link into combos. Ken's run if you mash the 2 buttons will trigger overhead in one set or front kick in the other set. To lower physical timing penalty of having to change finger positions, I decide if I'm doing an overhead or front kick (or stop) of a run before I do the run in order to do my intended move faster. I'm sure other characters have variations of all their ex moves too where it'll alter your target location or change a specific moves positioning.

I learned parry lol. It's just MP + MK which was easy enough since on XB controller it is next to throw. Nice.
I still can't do rush art even if my life depended on it. FFS. Probably because I am using a stick and not d-pad.

Still doing well with Cammy but when Gief shows up she gets boned fast.

I learned parry lol. It's just MP + MK which was easy enough since on XB controller it is next to throw. Nice.
I still can't do rush art even if my life depended on it. FFS. Probably because I am using a stick and not d-pad.

Still doing well with Cammy but when Gief shows up she gets boned fast.

The best tip I can offer for Cammy is don't be afraid to play super lame/safe. That's kinda how she rolls. She isn't one of those characters that can just "do moves" and win. Her specials typically have to be spaced well or she's vulnerable. She's at her best just walking around, using single normal moves, and reacting based upon what opponents do. Don't go wild hitting buttons or you'll get DI'd, but you can safely poke with her medium and light buttons all day. You can also convert those safe buttons into damage and even supers if they land. If things get hairy, her EXDP is a great reversal and it will get you out of danger, too. Her walking speed is quick, so you have the freedom to grab people a lot. The general goal seems to be to annoy people into getting tilted. VS. Zangief, you're basically only really concerned with a couple things and the main one is the SPD. Use lots of vertical jumps or even jump totally over him. He has minimal tools to deal with that. At close range, basically none. Be careful using standing kicks since Tundra Storm actually works well on Cammy. Luckily her punch pokes are basically just as good.

Cammy is fast and you need to take advantage of her ability to get in and out quickly. You can swap between quick pressure and bait for moves defensive faster than almost anyone save for DeeJay and his weird steps and Juri. You need to be careful on spacing when doing the baiting, especially gief due to spd. On my hitbox, I've learned to buffer forward while doing pokes so on hit confirm I'm doing a drive rush cancel. Just be cautious on just randomly spamming pokes. If you are predictable, a timed sweep on a poke miss is bad and you can be down hp quick on just a few of those misses. I beat quite a few people spamming light pokes by simply sweeping them to death the whole round. Always consider what you plan to follow up a whiff poke/block poke/hit confirm poke when goading a reaction from an opponent.

The qol change next week will allow drive rush cancel with parry input. I would also suggest some time in the combo trial room to practice some of the drive rush combos so you know what you can do after a hit confirm poke to drive rush.

I've somehow made it to platinum and it's basically just kens, juri's, and cammy's with an occasional ryu. I really miss Sakura, Akuma, and Goken.

I haven't even really touched the ranked or unranked modes (no real reason to), but in Battle Hub it's mostly Ken, Juri, Cammy, and Marisa. I actually seek out the people playing the oddballs even if they are bad matches for me. At least they're something different. I've kinda grown to enjoy the JP and Dhalsim matches just because they're so unique. With most of the cast it's very player specific. No matter who they're using, you can tell who is behind the wheel. With those two, that's not really an option.

Back