Streaming Video to an Xbox 360?

Crispy002

[H]ard|Gawd
I knew my xbox 360 supported this capability for a long time, but I never had a windows media center edition OS to play with...until now. Unfortunately, the xbox seems overly rigid in supported formats and deliver method. Has anyone had much success streaming video to their 360?

I have a bunch of .avi files I wanted to test it out on, windows media center will not play .avi files so using that to deliver won't be happening. I had some minor success using nero mediahome. I was able to recode in real time and stream to my xbox 360 at standard definition. The .avi was originally in divx format with .ac3 audio. However, the connection seemed weak at best, the xbox would only play the video once, if you navigated to another screen and came back, it would read wrong codec unless I completely restarted the windows media center connection on the xbox. Also, the video had some slight stuttering and the audio dropped off after the first 20 seconds or so. I believe this is due to my xbox being connected to a 10mbps hub instead of being directly connected to the 100mbps router, though it could be the limits of nero mediahome.

If anyone has some experience with this it'd be awfully helpful, I'm hoping to get HD streaming functional eventually, if possible.

Oh, and I found this chart, so I know there's at least some evidence of .avi support.
table.jpg

If the HD video you want to eventually play is in MKV containers, look to further then XenonMKV.

Even that chart doesn't know the difference between codecs and containers...

If the HD video you want to eventually play is in MKV containers, look to further then XenonMKV.

Even that chart doesn't know the difference between codecs and containers...

Sorry forgot to mention, the fall 2007 update gave the xbox 360 xvid and aac support. The xbox 360 does not support .mkv that I know of. I just found the way to tap the xvid/aac capability though. Instead of using the windows media center portal to handle the .avi files, the xbox can utilize a pretty basic tool: file sharing. I feel kinda nub now, enabling file sharing to the xbox 360 through windows media player 11 and then on the xbox going to the my videos section and navigating to the file on my computer brought success. No stuttering, no recoding, works perfect. Looks like it's limited to stereo instead of 5.1, I'll have to play around with the movies and codecs I have to see if I can fix that, but it's a start.

Back