Streaming music from home?

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
I am interested in streaming music from my house so i can listen to it from work. I am wondering if i can stream music from winamp and also what ports does it require to stream the music so i can configure my router accordingly. Also, is there a way to secure the session over the internet or make it such that only i can listen to the music so i do not get random listeners hogging my bandwidth? What programs do you all use to do this or are there any tutorials out there? Thanks.

If you use shoutcast, you need the server and the shoutcast winamp plugin. It's pretty easy. I forward port 8000 to my server and everything is fine. If you do not want to get listed on shoutcast.com, just don't fill out the genre, station title, etc. You can also limit the number of users and change the encoding rate.

I personally use remote desktop connection.

Just minimize the window and play the song...pretty easy

Tha's a pretty good idea, do you know how much bandwidth that takes up? Quality of the audio?

Do you have a spare computer? If so load up linux and install one of the many mp3 streaming solutions. Many have the ability to stream over HTTP connection so if you use IE at work it will stream through windows media player, or winamp or anything else that allows http streaming.

Back