Streaming Help

Azuresnow

n00b
Hi [H],
I am currently trying to improve my streaming quality.
My current webcam sucks, so i will be replacing that shorty.
What I wanted to ask is if anyone knows a quality streaming program thats free. I am currently using Open Broadcast Software and my stream becomes a little choppy.

Specs on my computer:
i7 3770K (not OC'd)
MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming
G.Skill Trident X series 2400mhz
EVGA GTX 760 4g
PNY XLR8 240G SSD

OBS is the only free supported software set . As far as streaming, what does your internet connection look like?

Also, what settings are you streaming at? Bitrate? Resolution?

Most streamers just do 720p.

I play in 1440p, but I stream at 720p with zero issues or choppiness with the rig in my signature.

My internet is 50down/5up. The upload is the most important. Anything under 3.5-5 upload and 720p struggles.

I have 18Mbps/6Mbps U-verse DSL.

Streaming at 720p or 1080p works fine without stuttering or delays. It really depends on a couple factors:
  1. Your internet connection, primarily the "upstream" speed.
  2. Streaming software settings.
  3. Your processor since the encoding is done in real-time.
With either OBS or XSplit, I've noticed 720p streaming uses 20-25% of the CPU on an i5 2400. More cores and the faster it is, the better the stream will be. On my i7 3770 now, streaming is actually better.

I recommend streaming at no higher than 720p unless you have a high upstream speed for 1080p. 4Mbps upstream is probably the bare minimum I will recommend for 720p video streaming to Twitch, Youtube, or Ustream. 6Mbps I highly recommend over anything lower.

1080p video streaming on the other hand I can barely do that smooth enough on my connection, and I'd probably need the next DSL speed tier from U-verse to do so.

This is a video I made regarding OBS last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXqbNiaPQuE
There isn't much of a difference between Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) and Xsplit. At 1280x720 resolution, 128k AAC HQ audio, and 2000 kbps bitrate, CPU usage still hovers between 20% to 25% on an Intel Core i5 processor. Performance may improve with a better processor but I have not seen CPU usage higher than 25% with either streaming software.

Your system seems fine, what's your bandwidth? This is likely your problem, but could also be your settings in OBS. I'm not a fan of OBS, I use xsplit and I'm happy with that. I've tried OBS and always seemed like if it wasn't one thing it was another and I already had a 3 year license for xsplit so that ended my testing of OBS.

Here's an album of my configuration: http://imgur.com/a/0PtYu

I have 5 MB/s upload, for reference.

If you would like additional assistance or should you have questions, please let me know and I would be happy to assist!

Edit: *!* In my experience *!* OBS is far superior to all streaming competition on the market right now, when also considering plug-in compatibility and streaming quality:bitrate ratio.

Last edited:
Your system seems fine, what's your bandwidth? This is likely your problem, but could also be your settings in OBS. I'm not a fan of OBS, I use xsplit and I'm happy with that. I've tried OBS and always seemed like if it wasn't one thing it was another and I already had a 3 year license for xsplit so that ended my testing of OBS.

Last I remember Xsplit does have some edges over the free streaming solutions, but there is always a penalty elsewhere. OBS seems lighter on resources, but somewhat limited in comparisons to XSplit, while XSplit can rape your resources. Doesn't help the devs really stepped on the community with their licensing model and forced web login that seems to be as big of an issue going down as Steam is when you're trying to play games.

Bandwidth seems like the logical explanation given people often times underestimate how much bandwidth is consumed when streaming.

if your stream is choppy reduce the upload bitrate in obs. it's not your hardware.

Yeah I did! Sorry for the late reply, I just lowered the bitrate in OBS, and it looks smoother!

Back