Storage Appliance Software: QuantaStor, NexentaStor

parityboy

Limp Gawd
I've been researching storage and virtualisation options for an SME environment, and I've come across NexentaStor and QuantaStor. The former is based on OpenSolaris, with the latter built off of Ubuntu Server.

Has anyone here had any experience with these products in a production NAS or SAN environment? How do they hold up?

Many thanks for the replies. :)

Hmmm played with quantastor for a bit. Some issues for me: I don't care about 4TB CE limitation. I DID care about raid10 being disallowed. Also, docs claim all kinds of neat snapshot capability, but apparently snapshots only work for btrfs volumes, not xfs or ext4 (and btrfs is beta). It tells me to use clones instead, but you can't clone a volume with an iscsi session active, which is the whole point. Hmmmm..

The real question is

ZFS/Solaris or others (some have also ZFS),
the UI is secondary to the used OS/ filesystem/storage technology.

Well, I'd be willing to use something other than ZFS - and quantastor claimed to have snapshots, clones, raid levels, etc. But, like I said, the CE version seems to be gimped.

@danschwartz

I've been having a play with their Community Edition; how long did it take for the license key to arrive, because mine hasn't turned up yet. Also, when you say RAID 10 was disallowed, was it not available for selection? It is in the version I downloaded - 3.0.x Technology Preview.

Regarding QuantaStor, the RAID10 support is available in the 2.6 release and they finally added automated key management so you get your license key email within a minute or two.

Back