Still getting System Sentinel, any further suggestions?

zg75

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, 7 months after my last build I started getting the dread nV system sentinel message and I'm not sure what to try next. Here's the basics:

ASUS A8N-SLI
2x 7800GT cards (nVidia reference, bought through a special deal between
nVidia and EA (where my brother works))
Antec TruePower II-550
2gb of patriot DDR
Athlon 64 3200+
2x Seagate S/ATA drives
Benq DVD-RW

And here's what I've tried:

Tried putting the 7800s in one at a time and tried both pci-e
6pin leads. No joy.

Tried a 4pin to 6pin y adapter. No joy.

Went through hell getting Antec to talk to me about the problem and then they
RMA'd it after sitting on it for a week. So I throw in the
new/refurb/whatever TPII-550 and no joy.

Seeing that Newegg has open box A8N-SLI boards, I order one to give it a shot. No joy/same sentinel messages.

Should also mention I've tried moving this box to a different circuit in the house, driver cleaner (first thing I tried), and even a quick n' dirty parallel XP install to see if the message still haunted me and, yep, it does.

Have both of my cards fallen ill at once? Seems not terribly likely...

What I haven't tried - flash the video BIOS 'cause I don't have access to the
vanilla reference BIOS download (They are nV reference 7800GTs directly from nV).

Is it still a power issue after getting the PSU RMA'd? Maybe, but I don't know where to go with it, short of getting out the multimeter, which I guess should be my next step.

Normally I would've been able to rule things out much more quickly, but I recently moved halfway across the country and I don't have a local network of fellow hardware freaks in the new area yet.

Have you tried a stronger power supply? 600W or more? I don't think it should be neceassary, but that would be the next thing I tried.

Well, the 550 (which is SLI certified) should be enough for just 7800GTs and it did work for 7 months before I had any issues. Also it has been RMA'd just in case.

zg75 said:
Well, the 550 (which is SLI certified) should be enough for just 7800GTs and it did work for 7 months before I had any issues. Also it has been RMA'd just in case.

I understand...It just strikes me as the next thing to try. Maybe a friend with a burlier power supply might consent to helping you test...

Yeah, unfortunately I just moved halfway across the country and I don't know anyone locally who is a hardware junkie.

Well crap. I dunno then. What are did you move to? Maybe there are some [H]'ers nearby that would be willing to help.

I know the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard manual says SLI requires 600W power supply... not sure what your manual says, but I would try the stronger power supply.

HaMMerHeD - Just moved to Jersey near the PA border, little town called Lambertville. If anyone nearby wants to help out, PM me and thanks!

NTJedi - SLIZone/nVidia say the PSU I have is certified for dual 7800s and again, it worked just great for 7 months of heavy gaming.

Back