SteelSeries Unveils World's First True 1-To-1 Tracking Mice

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
SteelSeries has redesigned its Sensei and Rival gaming mice with an exclusive new optical sensor, the TrueMove 3, which they claim is the first to offer "true 1-to-1 tracking," up to 3500 CPI (counts per inch, or the number of pixels your mouse moves in a single inch). From 3,500 to 12,000 CPI, the sensor uses a new and advanced jitter reduction technology, while its SROM reduces response time and increases accuracy.

"1-to-1 tracking was pretty big for us, to make sure that as we worked with pro gamers and they move their mouse from point A to point B, there's going to be no artificial delays or jitter that's going to be introduced," Christian explained. "And also increasing what we call true 1-to-1 up to 3500 CPI, where some of the sensors we track, like even the 3360, will only go up to about 2100 CPI, in our findings, of what we call real 1-to-1 tracking, before some kind of jitter reduction sometimes is introduced. So we have the widest range of 1-to-1 tracking, up to 3500 CPI, of any mouse on the market right now."

Sadly Steelseries RMA isnt very good.
They refused warranty on my Sensei when the cable developed a fault unless I shipped it international to them which would not have been cheap.
Eventually they sent me another mouse that looked brand new boxed.
After a few months 3 of the switches were terrible so I decided to try and mix the 2 mice together.
Thats when I found the feet had been removed before and had kink points, it wasnt a new mouse.
They had shipped me a quality control failed mouse or a return, made to look like new.

They lost a customer to Corsair.

Sounds like PMW336X variant, considering pmw 3366 and 3389 was better than 3360 all that's different in srom

I feel like the problem with these ultra high DPI/CPI mice is that you end up having to put your in game sensitivity to like .0005 if it even lets you go below 1

I feel like the problem with these ultra high DPI/CPI mice is that you end up having to put your in game sensitivity to like .0005 if it even lets you go below 1
Which is why I think polling rate is much more important. I run my mouse at 400 DPI and 1000 Hz at 2560x1440, even though it can go up to 8,000 DPI. At 4K I'll only go up to 600-800 DPI depending on what I'm doing. At these settings I find I don't usually have to change any mouse settings in games that support raw input. Though I'd prefer high DPI/low sensitivity.

Which is why I think polling rate is much more important. I run my mouse at 400 DPI and 1000 Hz at 2560x1440, even though it can go up to 8,000 DPI. At 4K I'll only go up to 600-800 DPI depending on what I'm doing. At these settings I find I don't usually have to change any mouse settings in games that support raw input. Though I'd prefer high DPI/low sensitivity.

I do the exact same thing. I'm running a 4k monitor and I think I usually use 800dpi and then I just copy the exact same FPS profile on my logitech software between games and adjust the sensitivity in the game using one of those game sensitivity converter websites.

Shannon's law
plays a role here though... more dpi is actually better in all rights.

Take overwatch anything over 2(default is 10) may skip pixels depending on your resolution and fov, 2 is slower than molasses unless you bump up your dpi

Last edited:
That had to have been one of the worst product launch trailers I had ever seen.

Ive owned about 4 SS mice. All have stopped working in one way or another, 3 days - 1 yr max. RMA tried to send me a different product for one. I use logitech g-pro now.

The competition ONLY goes up to 2100?! That's terrible, I can't even...

Sheesh, I'm a master ranked OW player and have been using $10 disposable mice from Staples for the last couple of years just because I liked the contours. Decided to start maining hitscan and realized something had to be done about my accuracy, bought a simple Logitech Pro gaming mouse and oh my god. Went from around 40% accuracy to 55+ on avg (which is exponentially huge when dealing with headshots) and brought all my hitscan hero winrates from around 35% winrate up to over 50% now and climbing. Plus my wrist finally stopped hurting after games and I can play much longer now. This stuff is important folks, get a good mouse :)

I use to really like Steel Series stuff, but I feel like they let quality slide.

Since when? Just wondering since my 6Gv2 and Sensei MLG from 2012 still work perfectly fine. That said, stay away from their headsets, the microphones are absolute shit and always break.

I use to really like Steel Series stuff, but I feel like they let quality slide.
I bought a mousepad of theirs from BestBuy that lasted maybe 6 months before becoming all warped and furled. Got a razer instead.

Can't use over 800 or 1600 dpi otherwise can't lower sensitivity low enough in game. I have a Razer Taipan that has been perfect in every sense and I use the dpi adjustment buttons constantly. Lowest setting for games, 2 clicks up for desktop, windows sensitivity is at like 40%.

Sounds interesting but this ambidextrous Razer Taipan has been so good and feels perfect to me that I'll probably just get another one of these. I hate logitech mice unless they have ambidextrous ones I haven't tried.... Those ergonomics don't equal precision for me.

Since when? Just wondering since my 6Gv2 and Sensei MLG from 2012 still work perfectly fine. That said, stay away from their headsets, the microphones are absolute shit and always break.

Hah, ya its the headsets i've had from them, the Siberia ones, first one was great, 2nd and 3rd fell apart on me, switched to Astro.

...doesnt it sound like a sales tactic instead of some real improvement? Every mouse I have ever owned had a 1 to 1 tracking. I move mouse: cursor or gun moves proportional to my mouse. Can be set in control panel to accelerate if wanted. Maybe I should click the link to understand whaaat they are pointing out (pun intended).

The sensors in modern mice are fine. The real issue is that most of them use horribly uncomfortable non-ergonomic designs. Logitech might be the worst offender. Why do mice need to have razor sharp edges and look like F117 stealth fighters? Who actually finds a mouse like this comfortable? Whatever happened to smooth, curvy mice like the MS Intellimouse or MX518 that were comfortable to use for long periods of time? BenQ/Zowie seem to be the only ones still making mice like this, with their EC and FK series. Also, bloated, clunky mouse drivers need to go die in a fire. Plug and play FTW.

Seriously, who the fuck finds this shit comfortable? Probaby designed by some Chinese engineer who's never played a game in his life to target the gamer demographic.

g502-rgb-tunable-gaming-mouse.png

Funny thing is no pro CSGO players use mice like this. They pretty much all use Zowie mice.

Also make mice for people with big hands. Again BenQ/Zowie seem to be the only ones who get it and are doing this.

Last edited:
The sensors in modern mice are fine. The real issue is that most of them use horribly uncomfortable non-ergonomic designs. Logitech might be the worst offender. Why do mice need to have razor sharp edges and look like F117 stealth fighters? Who actually finds a mouse like this comfortable? Whatever happened to smooth, curvy mice like the MS Intellimouse or MX518 that were comfortable to use for long periods of time? BenQ/Zowie seem to be the only ones still making mice like this, with their EC and FK series. Also, bloated, clunky mouse drivers need to go die in a fire. Plug and play FTW.

Seriously, who the fuck finds this shit comfortable? Probaby designed by some Chinese engineer who's never played a game in his life to target the gamer demographic.

g502-rgb-tunable-gaming-mouse.png

Funny thing is no pro CSGO players use mice like this. They pretty much all use Zowie mice.

Also make mice for people with big hands. Again BenQ/Zowie seem to be the only ones who get it and are doing this.

I agree with you, to a point (pun). I like the comfortable well designed mice of microsoft and some the multi buttoned mice of today. Retorical as your comment, when something needs a simple design to be perfectly functional, there is no way that years will go by without an attempt for a better mousetrap or wheel.

Today's mice are the concept cars of tomorrow. Still wont buy a $100 one................unless its a Lamboughini :)

The sensors in modern mice are fine. The real issue is that most of them use horribly uncomfortable non-ergonomic designs. Logitech might be the worst offender. Why do mice need to have razor sharp edges and look like F117 stealth fighters? Who actually finds a mouse like this comfortable? Whatever happened to smooth, curvy mice like the MS Intellimouse or MX518 that were comfortable to use for long periods of time?

In fairness I have the G502 you pictured, and it replaced a MX518. I've got like 5 other mice in a drawer that I tried and it was the most comfortable and I do find it '518-like' but it does look stupid. I like the little thumb rest (though my pinky is never comfortable) and the rest is not bad. Bit annoying having the DPI button where it is when you have shovels for hands like I do as it makes a 'three finger hold' hard but that's about it.

You do name 2 all time classics though, it's not a coincidence the Zowie EC is a straight rip of the gen 1 MS Optical shape <3

I miss having decent stores where you could go and try mice out. I'm starting to itch for a new one but it's always a crap shoot as to whether it will be more comfortable. If only there wasn't 25 years PC gaming muscle memory keeping me in claw grip, that'd help, but then my accuracy would be shit.

I do know one pro gamer that uses a Steelseries mouse, Dignitas though, so it's free :)

i mus admit i never like steelsereis stuff. when it came out i was working as a techrma guy for a IT retail chain. and the levels of RMA we would get on those units just made me never give the brand any value to ever want to touch them.
however that is many years ago now.

Back