Steelseries 5L + Razer Deathadder

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
I just picked up a Deathadder paired with an original Ratpadz that is many years old now. I find the combo not be that great, and would like to try something larger. I also am kinda tired of hard plastic pads but I don't want a flimsy cloth pad, the plastic coated cloth of the 5L sounds like what I'm after.

Has anyone used this combo, if so what are your impressions? Is there anything else comparable on the market?

My DeathAdder works great on my 5 year old Ratpadz. I use teflon tape on my mouse feet though and barely put any weight on it when I move the mouse. I'm thinking about buying the Ratpadz XT and use my GS just for my notebook.

I just bought some "boogie bug XL" thing because my icemat's on its last legs. It's sitting under my keyboard and sticking out of the side, which is nice as I no longer have to fight my mousemat and keyboard, and it tracks well. It's cloth, but closer to neoprene than what you'd expect. I like it, and it works very well.

I wanna try this: http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3&products_id=80

My DeathAdder scrapes my Ratpad in some areas now. It's weird.

Deathadders are known to have issues with scraping. Some Hyperglide mouse feet will remedy this.

I'd like to try the Destructor as well. Apparently it really made a tracking difference for the Lachesis (some review I read, can't remember where). I use as eXactMat right now and like it, but I'd like it to be just a little bit larger, and I think the Destructor is a bit bigger.

I have this combo. Works fine for me. Mouse pad is smooth, almost too smooth, you might miss the ruff feeling of the ratpad. Its all personal preference though. I do have a Razor control pad as well, and I prefer the 5L to that. 5L is just the right size, and I feel no scratching using the deathadder on it. Also no tracking problems at all.

My favorite pads are still Funcpads. They were the original popular hard plastic gaming pads, and still the best IMO.

www.func.net

Great price and performance.

The Destructor looks interesting, I'll have to consider it. I wonder when they will be in stock.

I purchased the 5L about 2 months ago, and I'm using it with a Diamondback 3G (same sensor as the Deathadder). The combination works perfect. Zero skipping or negative acceleration. The 3G is an amazing mouse.

I'm a huge fan of cloth mouse pads. It's all I've ever used during my many years of competitive fps'ing. My previous pad was a QcK+, which is awesome in its own right, but I thought I'd try out the 5L - despite it being too gdamn expensive. It has a great feel to it, and while certainly smaller than the QcK+, it's still big enough for my movements (although I wouldn't want to go any smaller than this).

After a couple months now, it's getting to the point where I'll have to clean it soon, and I'm curious to see how well it does with that. Despite the thin 'plastic' coating on top, it does still absorb water. I'm also concerned about the plastic coating wearing off over time, and creating uneven surface friction. But as of yet, I've seen no such indication of that.

Out of the box it's an excellent pad with an insanely smooth cloth-like feel. But over time it starts to get dirty and looses a bit of that sheen feel - as all cloth pads do. The only difference with this one is that it's too expensive to replace on a regular basis.

I tried that Steelpad 5L, too. It felt just like one of those hard surfaces like the Ratzpad, to me. I'm a cloth pad guy and have been using the Steelseries QcK. I wish Razer made a smaller version of their big Mantis cloth pads.

I wish Razer made a smaller version of their big Mantis cloth pads.

Scissors, friend! Honestly, I cut down all my QcK+ mats when I buy them. I turn the square shape into a horizontal rectangle - as I don't need nearly that much vertical movement.

Just an update, my Ratpad wasn't cutting it anymore. It was scraping due to the small feet on the Deathadder and it had a few smooth spots from years of use that caused tracking issues during slow movement, so it was time to move on. I ended up ordering a 5L, but it was backordered so I have yet to receive it.

When I was ordering I noticed the QCK was on sale for $8, so I ordered it as well just to see what a cloth pad is like. So far it is great, the mouse doesn't scrape (obviously), movement feels slick with just a bit of drag, and it tracks perfectly at any movement. It's really hard to find a fault with it, especially at it's low price point. My only complaint is that it is kind of thin, but the QCK Heavy for a bit more would solve that issue.

I'll still keep the 5L when it arrives, but I'm not sure it will be worth the $30 extra that I paid for it.

I have that combo. Got tired of the ratzpad also. I got the huge steelseries one and couldn't be happier.

Just an update, my Ratpad wasn't cutting it anymore. It was scraping due to the small feet on the Deathadder and it had a few smooth spots from years of use that caused tracking issues during slow movement, so it was time to move on. I ended up ordering a 5L, but it was backordered so I have yet to receive it.

When I was ordering I noticed the QCK was on sale for $8, so I ordered it as well just to see what a cloth pad is like. So far it is great, the mouse doesn't scrape (obviously), movement feels slick with just a bit of drag, and it tracks perfectly at any movement. It's really hard to find a fault with it, especially at it's low price point. My only complaint is that it is kind of thin, but the QCK Heavy for a bit more would solve that issue.

I'll still keep the 5L when it arrives, but I'm not sure it will be worth the $30 extra that I paid for it.

Where did you order it for 8 bucks? No skipping at all? I think I want to get the QCK Heavy.

Where did you order it for 8 bucks? No skipping at all? I think I want to get the QCK Heavy.

Sorry, it was 8.99 CAD + shipping, but since I was going to get the 5L anyway I don't think the shipping cost increase much. It was through ncix.com's weekly sale here in Canada. They have a US site but I'm not sure if the sale applies there as well. Also they don't carry the Heavy for some reason, and only the QCK Mini/Regular/+ were on sale.

I have the deathadder + 5L, still using stock mousefeet, they haven't worn out yet. It's fantastic...

Back