Steam Winter Sale 2011

So they gave me counter strike source for free.. i wonde rif its limited to valve games?

client updated, TF2 tab shows items but steam tab doesnt and portal tab is missing, so it's only half broken now.

Valve has dozens of servers all over the world all running pretty fast connections. There are over 4 MILLION people on Steam right now, a good portion of them probably downloading stuff. Name me one service that can handle millions of people downloading without some intensive slowdown.

Origin. :eek: ...

... :p

1000 users will get the entire Valve catalog
100 users will get 5 games from their wishlist
50 users will get 10 games from their wishlist
1 grand winner will get THE ENTIRE CATALOG of games on Steam.:eek:

Considering that Steam has 2-4 million users logged in at any one time and that there are probably millions more users, the odds of winning any of this stuff are low, even if only a small percentage of people will actually play the challenges.

It's different if you already own all the games needed to complete the challenges, but paying cold hard cash to buy games you don't need/want/or wouldn't by at that pricepoint just to compete is meh imho.

Just be grateful you don't get the shopping cart bug. That one is horrific. I was getting that the Thanksgiving weekend sale...bought about 10-15 different things including specific DLCs on one of the sale days...each time I would add one more to cart it would bomb out and empty my whole cart and I would have to start all over from scratch...I was doing that for close to 2 hours trying to buy games. LOL. It was almost like a game within a game. Although I could've just waited until later on in the day. :eek:

So do we get a gift for every achievement we get? Or do we have to get all of the achievements for that day to unlock another gift? lol.

So i got the Orcs Must Die! achievement, but I did not receive anything for it in my inventory. Does it take a bit to get there?

Just thought I'd point out that The Oddboxx (all four Oddworld games, including the two that were on the Xbox and recently were ported to PC) is $3.74.

The individual games themselves are pretty cheap. For example, Abe's Oddysee is 62 cents.

Picked up Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Portal 2, and Orcs Must Die on the first day of the sale. :)

Overall pretty good so far.

Picked up nothing so far. A couple titles I'd grab given the right price, but I don't plan to buy a lot this year.

Did Bunch of Heroes achievement last night with another friend and 2 randoms and none of us got the achievement so that's broken as well. Won't have time to re-try that before the deals expire today since they end before I get home from work.

Not very pleased so far this has been a fairly large cock up by valve, they should have independently tested that achievements were obtainable before they used them as part of the holiday bonuses.

Messed around in a couple of games, doing the achievements for the slim chance of getting a free copy of Portal 2. Got a few redundant coupons, a lumb of coal... and a Valve Complete Pack.

I already have most of the games in it, so I should probably trade it

Skyrim
Battlefield 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

And uh.. can't think of anything else.

Oh god, I hope BF3 makes it to Steam. Oh please lord, PLEASE.
Think Skyrim will go on sale????

Oh god, I hope BF3 makes it to Steam. Oh please lord, PLEASE.
Think Skyrim will go on sale????

Skyrim technically already is on sale, and has been for months! (theres 10% off the full price! :D Just like dead island...which has always had some kind of "offer".)

Considering that Steam has 2-4 million users logged in at any one time and that there are probably millions more users, the odds of winning any of this stuff are low, even if only a small percentage of people will actually play the challenges.

It's different if you already own all the games needed to complete the challenges, but paying cold hard cash to buy games you don't need/want/or wouldn't by at that pricepoint just to compete is meh imho.

Yeah, I do agree with this. If we can get a non-game related task each day to complete, chances are many users will have the "coal" entry ticket for the final draw so the pool of users will be so huge any additional ticket a user put in would not make any difference.

There's really no reason to buy games just to compete.

Scanning around, I saw a couple that interest me. How are:
  • Dirt 3 (I liked 2)
  • Driver: San Francisco
  • Borderlands (do I *have* to play MP to enjoy it?)

Scanning around, I saw a couple that interest me. How are:
  • Dirt 3 (I liked 2)
  • Driver: San Francisco
  • Borderlands (do I *have* to play MP to enjoy it?)

I get extremely bored playing Borderlands single player, but almost all of my near 100 hours in the game are co-op. Some people enjoy playing it single player, but good co-op partners makes it many times better.

[*]Borderlands (do I *have* to play MP to enjoy it?)
[/LIST]
Hard to say, really just depends on you. Some people (like me) are just mentally wired to get enjoyment out of loot grabs, regardless of whether it involves co-op with someone else. I've put about 180 hours into Borderlands SP.

I might give it a try at $9. The GOTY version is $15 - I'm guessing just includes expansion packs. For a newbie, are those worthwhile?

I might give it a try at $9. The GOTY version is $15 - I'm guessing just includes expansion packs. For a newbie, are those worthwhile?

Yes they are. Mad Moxxi's kind of sucks, but the other three are pretty good. They increase the level cap as well.

Yes they are. Mad Moxxi's kind of sucks, but the other three are pretty good. They increase the level cap as well.

Cool. One last question about Borderlands. Does it support the 360 pad? After Skyrim, Rage, and Batman, I've gotten into "slack on the couch" mode.

Bought Rage for 20$ and Portal 2... YES I BOUGHT RAGE... Imho from playing about 30 minutes this morning that game looks good. Some people need to lay off the trigger of 'IT LOOK LIKE CRAP' anyway..

Bit for Portal 2.... :D

Good move... my wife and I played the hell out of it over the last couple of months. Co-op is a blast and adds many more hours to the game.

I've been considering GTA IV for PC, since I played it on 360 when it was first released. I don't touch consoles anymore, but it was a fantastic game. I cant even count the amount of hours I logged. Wondering how it would run on my system.

Still any serious performance/control issues with GTA IV?

Need more things to hold me over until the first of the next wave of big titles is released (Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, GTA V etc).

Or I could just keep playing TF2 until I go insane. Maybe reinstall Borderlands or go through Saints Row: The Third with my wife again, though don't feel much incentive to do so. It's a lot of fun, but feels "played out" after beating it once.

If I buy Portal 2, the chances of Steam gifting it to me goes up a bunch, I bet.

Sacred / Sacred 2 worth it?
I haven't played Sacred 2, but Sacred 1 is a pretty standard and unremarkable pure Diablo-clone. It does not have randomly generated dungeons if I recall. I hesitate to recommend it because I sort of remember it not looking very good at modern resolutions, and Titan Quest is better in every way, and still looks very good.

Back