Steam Summer Sales 2011 - unofficial Thread

Does anyone have universe sandbox and want to try to explain what this is exactly?

Damn thanks a lot, will do once I get home. Also, I was several beers in and not really feeling reading a bunch of different ReadMes...I'll start over and see where that gets me then hit you up.

I'm going to throw a guess out here that some of the mods probably require FOSE (fallout script extender) and you might be missing this.

Tried that. :( I was using whatever log program to show where you are getting errors in loading, and one of the default texture packs seemed to be causing the issue. I can't recall which, Fallout3.wtf, after trying several different things I had Steam repair the install, which basically re-d/l'ed the whole game for several hours at which point I walked away. Anyway, sry for the thread hijack I'll hit up QBZ if I can't get it to work the 2nd time around being much more anal following install instructions.

Tried that. :( I was using whatever log program to show where you are getting errors in loading, and one of the default texture packs seemed to be causing the issue. I can't recall which, Fallout3.wtf, after trying several different things I had Steam repair the install, which basically re-d/l'ed the whole game for several hours at which point I walked away. Anyway, sry for the thread hijack I'll hit up QBZ if I can't get it to work the 2nd time around being much more anal following install instructions.

PM sent. Make sure Archive Invalidation is one. Either in the .ini file where it says bInvalidateOlderFiles have it set to 1 otherwise preferably in Fallout Mod Manager. You need FOSE or no mods for you in Fallout 3. Same goes for NVSE in New Vegas.

Standard Final Fantasy Clone. Seems alright very pretty. If you don't like the current final fantasy series 8-12 then Id skip it. The PC version is strangely much more cleaned up than the xbox360 version which apparently was buggy.

Huh. For $10 that may not be half bad. I haven't played a FF since 10. I just kind of lost interest.

Oh man what a day. Do I get Mass Effect 2, mafia 2,splinter cell conviction, fallout 3, or amnesia, I dont really need any of those games since I still have a backlog and could wait for the next steam sale..

Oh man what a day. Do I get Mass Effect 2, mafia 2,splinter cell conviction, fallout 3, or amnesia, I dont really need any of those games since I still have a backlog and could wait for the next steam sale..

Are you kidding? You buy them all of course. ;) It's a long, hot summer. :)

This sale sucks for anyone who has been a part of the sales from the last 2 years. Nothing on my wishlist was a MUST HAVE buy. I forced myself to buy a few games I probably will never touch at meh pricing. I wanna see Wolfenstein at $10 or less. :mad:

Ditto... I have around 210 games on Steam from previous sales. Only bought 2 so far during this sale. Deals have been pretty ho-hum, especially on the Capcom offerings.

Picked up Fallout 3 and Splinter Cell Conviction. Been waiting for a while on these. Saw my mates playing Splinter Cell on the PS3 and looked really fun.

Would I be missing much if I got Mass Effect 2 but not #1? Never played either...

Empires GOTY looks tempting...

Would I be missing much if I got Mass Effect 2 but not #1? Never played either...

Empires GOTY looks tempting...

It's a direct sequel so yes. Even stuff from the ME1 save game influences events in ME2. I suppose you could always read up on the plot from a wiki or something. Personally though I'd recommend playing ME1.

if you miss ME1 you still get the same experience in ME2. you can go back to it someday and play it as a prequel in your mind.

Picked up Fallout 3 and Splinter Cell Conviction. Been waiting for a while on these. Saw my mates playing Splinter Cell on the PS3 and looked really fun.

Excellent choices. I bought Conviction at almost full price and was very happy with it. The DRM thing has basically been addressed and I really would love them to put out some more Deniable Ops content for it at least.

I played ME2 first as I got it free with DA2 and had never touched the series. That being said, play ME1 first. You'll get the full experience, and you won't be as frustrated with how crappy the combat is in ME1 vs ME2 since you haven't played the 2nd one yet. ;)

How is Amnesia? This one interests me @ $5 but I've not heard much about it.

Thanks

RF:A is a lot like the first two games rather than Guerrilla since it's a linear experience instead of GTA in Mars, so it depends on which game you preferred.

Fallout 3. I never played it. Ya or Na?

I like scary games and I know someone asked already. How is Amnesia?

Amnesia must be played as instructed (completely dark room) to get the full effect.

It is very creepy, well worth 5 bucks if that kinda thing interests you.

Well to put it simply, it's a competent third-person shooter with a lot of physics-based combat. Most of the environments can be destroyed. It's also a great port.

Well to put it simply, it's a competent third-person shooter with a lot of physics-based combat. Most of the environments can be destroyed. It's also a great port.

I like all the Red Faction games so based on what you're saying maybe I should consider it.

Everyone should try Amnesia, especially that cheap. That kind of effort deserves our support. Don't cheat. Follow the instructions and prepare for a VERY immersive and compelling experience.

How is Amnesia? This one interests me @ $5 but I've not heard much about it.

Thanks

Good. Especially for that price. Survival horror, no attacking or monster fragging. Just puzzling and trying not to get messed up.

mafia 2 + dlc worth the price? I have maybe 100hrs logged on GTAIV on the ps3 and like another 40 on on the pc.

I picked up Mass Effect 1&2 so I'm happy. Universe Sandbox was also picked up cause it looks interesting.

So 58$ total spent on the sale, 2 more days to go and a max of 40$ I'm willing to spend.

Just The Last Remnant for me today. Which is good because my wallet needed the break :p

Nothing for me today thank god. Just looked at my bank statement and I've spent $230.90. :eek:

Nothing for me today thank god. Just looked at my bank statement and I've spent $230.90. :eek:

On this sale alone? Damn dude, I'm up to about $60 myself.

Today's purchases put my steam account over $1k in total

God you guys suck. I blame this all on you. Each day I look at the sales and go, "Meh" I don't know any of these games. Then I log on here and here about how awesome half of them are and end up buying 3-4. Today was Worms, Amnesia, Universe Builder wtfever, and Empire Total War.

Total $ so far is: $193.61. And it ain't over yet. :(

EDIT: Weird Steam calculator doesn't work for me, shows I have 0 games. My profile is public too.

Last edited:
Picked up Amnesia, Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Audiosurf so far. It's actually been a very tame sale for me this time around. I'm also severely tempted by the Empire/Napoleon bundle, but I still haven't even played Medieval 2 (amongst many others) from a previous sale.

My backlog actually stresses me out. What's worse is that I know when BF3 comes out, I literally won't play any other game for months on end.

Back