Steam Help

Archer1212

[H]F Junkie
I want to get the orange box for portal but for the life of me I cannot get steam to log in on my desktop. my laptop connects and runs fine so from what I am guessing steam does not like my PCI NIC. I would use the onboard but it never wants to pull an IP for some reason. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? I have tried running with both nics on, the dead one disabled in windows and bios, reinstalling steam, trying to run off a DD from the laptop, and even creating a dummy account and still no connection.

Specs for those that will ask:
Intel e4300
ASUS P5N-E SLI NF650I SLI 775
2gb CRUCIAL ballistix
BFG 8800gts 320mb
Realtek RTL8139 PCI NIC

Are you running Peerguardian by any chance? That will block connections to Valve/Steam by default.

Nope. no software thats uses the network. hell I am even on the DMZ

DMZ depending on the router will forward all ports to that specific IP which aren't already fowarded, if you're running upnp you may find that your router has forwarded the steam ports through to the old IP of the dead NIC you have, check the forwarding rules on the router you're behind, and specifically check for the port values that steam uses, I'm not sure what these are off the top of my head.

DMZ depending on the router will forward all ports to that specific IP which aren't already fowarded, if you're running upnp you may find that your router has forwarded the steam ports through to the old IP of the dead NIC you have, check the forwarding rules on the router you're behind, and specifically check for the port values that steam uses, I'm not sure what these are off the top of my head.

That would have required the dead nic to have worked to begin with. It has never been able to pull an IP. But I will check the settings on the router just in case. might have been something I missed.

Now that I think about it the router could be going out too. and not wanting to do anything right.

Back