Steam... err... self-destructed?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
I just went to fire up Steam, and the shortcut gave me an error that Steam.exe was missing. Strange, says I, so I went to check and make sure my Steam drive was still working. It was. However, when I went into the Steam folder, all hope was lost. It was almost completely empty. There were three folders with various crap in them, but all the important parts were gone. All of Steam's files were gone, and more importantly, my steamapps folder was gone. When I look at the drive, I still see 859GB being used on the drive. So the data is there, somewhere, lost in the abyss...

Anyone ever have this happen? Or, more importantly, is there anything I can do to put the stuff back? Normally I wouldn't care, but I really don't want to lose all my Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim mods.

Anyone ever have this happen?
My Steam clientregistry.blob file got corrupted once due to a power outage and Steam wouldn't start until I had deleted it. But that was just one file and this sounds way more serious.

Did you verify that there's nothing wrong with the drive itself?

I'm paranoid about this happening to me since I have a slow Internet connection and it'd take months to restore it from scratch, so I have a daily-scheduled backup of my Steam drive that runs while I'm at work.

My Steam clientregistry.blob file got corrupted once due to a power outage and Steam wouldn't start until I had deleted it. But that was just one file and this sounds way more serious.

Did you verify that there's nothing wrong with the drive itself?

I'm paranoid about this happening to me since I have a slow Internet connection and it'd take months to restore it from scratch, so I have a daily-scheduled backup of my Steam drive that runs while I'm at work.

Nothing should be wrong with the drive. At least, I've never had any problems before.

If it was just about downloading the games again, I wouldn't care. My connection maxes out around 3.7MB/s. It would take a while to redownload all these games, but not exactly out of this world. I'd probably piss off Time Warner a bit, but that's there problem. I'm really more concerned about mods. I don't recall exactly what mods I had for these games, and I don't want my saves to end up usless because I forgot about an essential mod.

Mah lord! Our files are running from the battlefield! SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!!

Mah lord! Our files are running from the battlefield! SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!!

very SHAMEFUR DISPRAY indeed.

I was able to fix it one time by deleting the blob file. Another time I just deleted steam and restarted. Didn't have anything I worried about losing.

Check the steam support website also. Better safe than sorry if you have a lot of data you don't want to lose.

Can't say I've ever had that happen to me or anybody I know. I've also had to do the blob file deletion, but this is new. Have you tried a system restore? Don't know if it'd work, but it's worth a shot.

In the future, try doing what I do. I keep a couple external HDD's loaded up with all my music, games, and other things I don't want lost. That way if I ever need to reformat or my main HDD goes bad, I won't be left up the creek without a paddle.

When you check properties of the Steam folder what is the size? Also select all the files and folders inside the Steam folder and check what the size is.

Not sure if this is relavant to you or not, but I had a malware once that hid random files. That was annoying as fuck. Fortunately it was just my Pr0...err...netbook and I didn't give a shit too much. :D

Back