Steam Batman Arkham City works ok but GFWL not valid.

griff30

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok after my upgrade, I finally baught and downloaded Batman Arkham City from Steam.
I copy the CD key to clipboard, check. Log into GFWL and it ask for my key and then says: says my CD not vaild.
WTF! I cannot save my game. Myson is getting flustrated at this castrated game as we have to start over every time.
I contacted GFWL and Steam for an answer without sucess and there was someone on thier forum that said he had the same problem and they blamed it on him reinstalling the game. This is a first time instal and I'm pissed.

Sadly the pirates of this game likely have no problems with the game.

No answers from either pary in 3 days

Fuck GFWL! I am not buying this game again in hopes it will work. fuck them.

XBOX360 here I come.

Last edited:
Ok after my upgrade, I finally baught and downloaded Batman Arkham City from Steam.
I copy the CD key to clipboard, check. Log into GFWL and it ask for my key and then says: says my CD not vaild.
WTF! I cannot save my game. Myson is getting flustrated at this castrated game as we have to start over every time.
I contacted GFWL and Steam for an answer without sucess and there was someone on thier forum that said he had the same problem and they blamed it on him reinstalling the game. This is a first time instal and I'm pissed.

Fuck GFWL! I am not nuying this game again in hopes it will work. fuck them.

PS3 here I come.

Resend the support ticket. Manually type the CD key. Reinstall games for windows. Did you try any of that yet?

I just resent the ticket with 4 screenshots where I tried to log in with the errors.
I didnt want to reinstall it because in the support forum someone said with GFWL its a one time deal and I did it would look at it as invalid. Didn't want to screw it up.
Yeah I manually retyped it and nearly have my CD key memorized :).
My fault was not getting this for XboX360.

I just resent the ticket with 4 screenshots where I tried to log in with the errors.
I didnt want to reinstall it because in the support forum someone said with GFWL its a one time deal and I did it would look at it as invalid. Didn't want to screw it up.
Yeah I manually retyped it and nearly have my CD key memorized :).
My fault was not getting this for XboX360.

Plenty of people are playing it just fine so it seems weird that you are having trouble. Try waiting until after the holiday sales for a reply. I know it sucks but the amount of people sending in support ticks probably quadruples around this time.

As for the reason to not install GFWL who ever said that was dumb. You can install the program 1000 times if you want. However its installing the actual games that matters. If that was the case then people who reformat/upgrade their computers would be SOL.

I've had no problems with mine when I bought it. Don't worry man, the problem will get fixed. I don't like GFWL either but I'll look pass that on this game. It's too much fun. I'm 66 hours in on the game and I'm still only 85% complete with the game.

One thing to note, GFWL is only supported in a limited list of countries, and so if your account's country is not in this list, its not going to work. You need to activate the key in an account that's set to one of the supported countries.

Basically GFWL is a POS and I don't know why any developers would use it. At least Steam and Origin works everywhere, not just in a handful of countries.

Im from the USA. Fuck yeah!
GFWL sucks. Still no reply from either. Reinstalled GFWL didnt help.

It's a known issue now at least. Affected many folks, including myself. I blame myself for actually thinking it would be a good idea to play a console game on the PC.

I've had so many problems with GFWL that I just refuse to purchase anything that requires it. Which is sad because I really wanted to play the new batman game.

XBOX360 here I come.

Or Steam. You don't know yet which party fucked up.

Have you tried writing out the CD key manually instead of pasting it? Dunno if that would actually do anything but I don't know what else to suggest.

XBOX360 here I come.

So steam sold you an invalid cdkey. Ya lets say FUCK GFWL..:confused::confused:

So steam sold you an invalid cdkey. Ya lets say FUCK GFWL..:confused::confused:

The game runs fine under Steam so the code works there. It doesnt work under GFWL, so I cannot save progress..
Neither side takes blame and there are people who pirated the game without problems.
I have enough games for PC to last a while under steam, I am not buying any more.
I have tried writting the key in too and different ways with caps too. reinstall GFWL ect.
Throwing away $50 for a game that wont save sucks balls.
Consoles from now on.

The game runs fine under Steam so the code works there. It doesnt work under GFWL, so I cannot save progress..
Neither side takes blame and there are people who pirated the game without problems.
I have enough games for PC to last a while under steam, I am not buying any more.
I have tried writting the key in too and different ways with caps too. reinstall GFWL ect.
Consoles from now on.

There is no steam code.. Only a SecuROM and GFWL key.

As others said email Steam i'm sure they will fix it. If they don't well don't buy from steam anymore.

UPDATE...
WB wrote an email asking for proof of purchase and screenshots of failure to load.
Loaded fraps. started the game and GFWLstated it had an update and required that I restart the game.
Restarted and logged in.
The Game works!
The game now has save feature and has my login under GFWL running which would not work earlier.Some kind of update today. It didnt try to update yesterday or earlier so I assume it was GFWL update that fixed it.
Now I got to email WB telling them it works.

Thanks for all advice and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Consoles from now on.

I had the exact same problem, activated the game on steam, check.

Then setup video card, check.

Then tried to play and it said something about a GFWL account needed to save the game.

Tried to setup an account on their site over and over and kept getting errors. ( I seriously wasted an hour+ of my time...this was all after a day of work...I wanted to play the new batman game so this sucked pretty bad.

Considered crying like a baby and saying forget this...Then said hmmm I see a 1-800 number...thought to myself god what if it's someone with a bad accent or hard to understand that will suck even more...tried to create an account on GFWL a couple more times, kept giving me some error message.

Picked up the phone and called, nice gamer dude Lucas got on and helped me create an Windows Live account account because there is a bug/glitch in their system. Took probly 15-20 minutes but now all is well and really that was like the BEST on the phone service you could ask for.

Give up trying to figure it out yourself call the 1-800 number and they will help you sort it out.

Call the 1-800 number on their site dude.

No really.

One post up. there was an update to GFWL when I logged in tonight and it works now.
Thanks for the advice, that would have helped too.

Another satisfied Gawful customer.

I miss the days when you could install a game and just fucking play it, without all the extraneous bullshit.

Back