State of Flight Simulator as of 2016

Straypuft

Limp Gawd
Just as it seams light the world of Flight Simming was on its last breaths, Dovetail Games(DTG) has purchased the rights to distribute Microsofts Flight Simulator X as well as tweak it to perform better on todays hardware. Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition can be found on Steam for $25, or $8 during the major Steam sales. Some of your favorite FSX addons should still work in FSXSE.

Dovetail Games is a gaming company based in the United Kingdom, If you have heard of Train Simulator 2016, they are behind that. They are currently releasing Dovetail Games Flight School which can be found on Steam at $15 USD.
DTG FS includes the entire FSX globe but only offers 3 aircraft to date, Piper Cherokee, Super Cub, and DA-42. There is speculation that they will be releasing at a later time larger aircraft which should not cost extra to the player which may include airliner content, Flight School is made for new players to the genre to ease their way into flight simming but at the same time not overload them with features they are not ready for.

There is a massive stigma relating to how DTG does paid addons/DLC where many people think they need to buy $1000's worth of addons to have the best experience since they have seen how Train Simulator 2016 has to offer, They are appalled that they think they have to spend over $5000 USD to think they will have a complete game, This is not true, DTG knows that not everyone will buy every single piece of DLC as almost everyone has their different tastes in what they want to do in Train Sim. The reason I am mentioning this is that this will most likely happen to DTG's fully featured flight sim slated to release later this year or early next year, but they will also still allow the tradition of allowing third party developers to create and sell their addons.

DTG is also working on the next generation Flight Simulator based off of FSX but will be more optimized with new features as well as running on current hardware including 64bit OS's.

Laminar Reasearch is another big player in the flight sim world with their X-Plane 10, This can be found on Steam for its usual $60, or you can wait for one of Steams regular big sales and grab it for $30

Laminar Research is now working on X-Plane 11 which will include easier to use GUI and hardware setup options.

Lockheed Martin has also secure the rights to FSX with intentions to build on it and optimize it, their product is called Prepar3d(P3D), This product is made to suit professional pilots and student pilots but should you buy a copy(ranges from $60 to $2300) They do not pry into your background even though they have the capabilities to since they are a major government contractor, Many famous Youtube flight simmers are said to be using the $60 Academic version but with a minor tweak to disable the academic license watermark. Several FSX addons do work with P3D and many major developers also produce versions of addons catered to P3D.
P3D includes different aircraft from original FSX, Some of these aircraft being developed by quality payware devs.
Lockheed Martin - Prepar3D

A sim out there that caters to Combat simmers, DCS: World which is a free game but also had paid modules(P-51 Mustang, A-10, F-16, Huey) Also can be found on Steam

I hope that this topic has been informative to those veterans and those new to Flight Simming, Thanks for reading!

How can two different companies have rights to FSX? I have Trainsim and they will release a new version using the exact same grahics engine for the next ten years and claim it is a new version every year. They didn't even create the Trainsim engine either, they just bought the rights from Kugi/EA.

How can two different companies have rights to FSX? I have Trainsim and they will release a new version using the exact same grahics engine for the next ten years and claim it is a new version every year. They didn't even create the Trainsim engine either, they just bought the rights from Kugi/EA.
Lockeed Martin has the rights for educational/commercial uses of the software, I believe.

Next gen Train Simulator is expected to use an Unreal Engine, and aeliusg is correct, P3D isnt expected to be used by to many gamers even though some gamers do use it.

Just FYI most FSX addons (not all) work in Prepar3d. Prepar3d is being actively developed with additional features. The incremental updates of each version (e.g. 3.1, 3.2) are free. But the version updates (e.g. 2.5 to 3.0) are separate purchases unless you have the monthly developer license. Of both FSX:SE and P3D, I would say P3D is lightyears ahead and constantly getting better. It represents a much more balanced approach. You can be CPU limited, and then GPU limited in certain instances. FSX is nearly always CPU bottlenecked. The only downside to P3D is because it is rapidly being developed, the add-ons often break or the developers have to release updates. So the P3D versions are normally more expensive. I have both programs and seldomly run FSX:SE. P3D is just so much better as far as balanced hardware utilization, stability, and resource usage. Are there cases where FSX has a higher framerate? Yes, but usually if not set to a framerate limiter it will shoot up to the hundreds when not needed and then plummet to the teens in slightly more taxing areas. P3D is far more consistent. I'd rather have a constant 30 fps in a sim than the framerate to be all over the place.

There is a massive stigma relating to how DTG does paid addons/DLC where many people think they need to buy $1000's worth of addons to have the best experience since they have seen how Train Simulator 2016 has to offer, They are appalled that they think they have to spend over $5000 USD to think they will have a complete game, This is not true, DTG knows that not everyone will buy every single piece of DLC as almost everyone has their different tastes in what they want to do in Train Sim. The reason I am mentioning this is that this will most likely happen to DTG's fully featured flight sim slated to release later this year or early next year, but they will also still allow the tradition of allowing third party developers to create and sell their addons.
And the stigma attached to them is well deserved but not for the reasons you mention. That's only their convenient excuse they use to brush off any criticism. The real problem is that their DLCs are overpriced individually already, not just when you look at the fact that it costs 5000 to buy them all. Their biggest problem is quality. Or lack of quality control. Some of the DLCs you can buy for Train Simulator are excellent, and well worth the price. But some are absolute shite, useless, sub-par garbage. And none of the DLCs are labelled to show which third party made them, so basically you only realize if a dlc is good quality or bad after you bought and tried it. And it's not like their in-house DLCs are a great standard for quality. Some are OK, some are even good, but they constantly recycle assets, they take a locomotive and re-lease it with the same cab view the same sounds, the same mediocre physics, and charge full price for basically what is a new skin in essence. Some of the 3rd party developers who are really enthusiasts do make excellent quality stuff, but you can never tell that by looking at the store page. And reviews aren't very helpful either, since I saw people praising crap there.

So to get rid of the stigma they need better QA when it comes to DLCs, and they need to normalize the prices. Because €18 for a single loco that might be crap is ludicrous.

Miss FS times so much. Used to FS 98 then came 2000.

Today there's a 3d graphics that make the scenario UNBELIEVABLE

Glad to see there is so much interest in Flight Simulation!

I'm a big enthusiast myself and also a USAF veteran with tons of F-15 experience. I wasn't happy with the current state of flight sims. Prepar3D, FSX, and X-Plane all have their issues, so I decided to make my own with Unreal Engine 4. Still very much in development, but the plan is to make it free/open source once it's up and running.

Here is an early render (~10MB) from a few weeks ago

Back