Starfield

If you're going to select comments, it's only fair to dig a little deeper as to what has been said prior to recent comments. I went into great detail to explain my reasons with nary a reply from anyone explaining why they feel it is an enjoyable / good game.

In the posts following this, the counter arguments have ranged from "It's your fault for expecting it to be a good game in the first place" to "Develop your own game then" to "Just because it lacks in almost every area the developers promised doesn't make it a bad game".

Interestingly in not one of those replies did the poster mention the games REDEEMING values, which I originally did. Instead they simply chose to focus on what I considered negative aspects of the game.

I'm sorry but when someone starts to lay personal blame for not enjoying the game instead of explaining the reasons why they find it to be an enjoyable, satisfying experience, their social credit and opinion becomes void to me.
The thread has mostly devolved into a back and forth lacking in substance and heavy in hyperbole and the inability to recognize that others might have a different opinion, like I said earlier I'm not claiming that one side is better or more right but your recent comments have not been above the fray or objective like you seem to have claimed.

Earlier in the thread there were some good points made about the pros and cons but then it devolved into the current mess and I stopped reading it for a bit. The only reason I came back to the thread was to see how some of the recent changes were received as well as the current state of bugs but I couldn't find that in the last several pages because of all the bickering.

The thread has mostly devolved into a back and forth lacking in substance and heavy in hyperbole and the inability to recognize that others might have a different opinion, like I said earlier I'm not claiming that one side is better or more right but your recent comments have not been above the fray or objective like you seem to have claimed.

Earlier in the thread there were some good points made about the pros and cons but then it devolved into the current mess and I stopped reading it for a bit. The only reason I came back to the thread was to see how some of the recent changes were received as well as the current state of bugs but I couldn't find that in the last several pages because of all the bickering.

Fair enough. You're right, I took the bait and wasn't being objective the moment the bickering devolved into "the blame game". I feel like I've made my case about the game at this point and don't feel like I need to explain any further my thoughts on it. Simply, I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected more from a company like Bethesda.

Man, neon is all about opening doors. Talk to someone, go through 5 doors to next spot. Talk to someone, go through 5 doors to next spot. Wtf is this crap.
Still playing though so what can I say. I might be hooked by now. Level 22 or some such. Getting more artifacts. Got one from some smuggler by strong arming him on his own ship lol.

No, I simply stated my case why I am disappointed with the game with valid reasons. I didn't say anyone's opinion was incorrect, I said it baffles me that peoples standards and expectations of a triple AAA game studio has fallen so low.
Read your second sentence. You are incapable of understanding why some people actually enjoy the game.

Man this thread is in dire need of mod intervention. Shit’s embarrassing.

Man this thread is in dire need of mod intervention. Shit’s embarrassing.
It's a multi-part problem.

People take criticism personally. And there is something just built into human beings where we want people to like what we like and/or hate what we hate. And so there is always a constant need to bring people onto 'our side'. It takes a lot of time and maturity to 'not be that way'. And even harder than that is to do so consistently.

Starfield is a mid game. But people like it. I have zero ability to convince anyone on this either way, but I guarantee people will fight over it. People like what they like and hate what they hate and they like to endlessly talk about those things.
I have no illusions. This is a popular game. People loooooove it. It's 85%+ on Metacritic. I'm sure it's on people's best of the years list. I know I'm definitely in the minority that this is a "bad" game and it will be called my opinion. But it is what it is.

Last edited:
734.3 hours into Starfield and I'm enjoying the game. Currently in the process of mapping out star systems to get a massive supply chain network established. Major money maker that'll be.

Read your second sentence. You are incapable of understanding why some people actually enjoy the game.

I've already stated reasons I understand why people like some of the games redeeming qualities, but it baffles me how peoples standards have dropped for a studio such as Bethesda. This will be my final post in the thread because I've said all I need to say about the game and now it's just people telling each other how they are wrong. It's pointless and toxic.

Happy New Year all.

Shit I spent 8 hours playing this game today. I think it might actually be good. Damn.
Just play what you enjoy. It's fine.

I know some will take this as an insult, but if you enjoy playing bad games, who cares? Good or bad movies are not defined by how much enjoyment I get out of them. Some of the best movies, I definitely didn't "enjoy", as in they were really tough/painful to watch. Likewise I have a friend who loves Jersey Shore. She knows it's total trash TV, but it's a guilty pleasure.

People take criticisms of things they like too personally. Objectively games can be "bad"/"poor", but still be fun for that person for whatever reason (just like my TV example). If you're enjoying Starfield, then that's totally fine. You're with the "in crowd" on Metacritic. If you're a populist, then "you're in the right" and all of us critics of Starfield "are wrong". It's just perspective.

I think I am done with UC and Rangers missions. However, there are still other factions to do. Not sure if I want to. Game is good and had potential it is just marred by a ton of issues and some design choices which make it feel dated. However, the storylines are not bad except maybe the main quest which was a bit underwhelming.

As for games that I play and enjoy. I mostly never listen to anyone anyway and form my own opinions. Nothing on this forum will change that.

For now though, given I have spent about 36+ hours in this game, I will bump my rating up from 7 to maybe an 8/10.

starfaward.png

It's a 7/10 game, but a 5/10 Bethesda game. 300 hours is nothing when people have 1k+ in Skyrim and FO4.

seems more like the opposite...the usual/more of the same Bethesda 7/10 game...but when compared to other non-Bethesda games it's a 5/10 or maybe 6/10 (comparing it to Elden Ring or Cyberpunk 2077 or Baldur's Gate 3 etc)

Finished it. Seems I missed quite a ton of content in my first playthrough. Took about 40 hours and some change. Solid 8/10. 7/10 if I am being a critic.
There won't be a second playthrough. lol.
1704221124467.png

Finished it. Seems I missed quite a ton of content in my first playthrough. Took about 40 hours and some change. Solid 8/10. 7/10 if I am being a critic.
There won't be a second playthrough. lol.
The campaign has some (slight) differences in NG+.
Better run through it again.

Lol that is prime trolling it has to be for a gameplay formula as tired as Bethesda's, like eating leftover meatloaf

The marketing certainly deserves to win an award for fooling gamers into pre-ordering what Bethesda touted as a AAA cutting edge game that offers "unparalleled exploration " yada yada

Last edited:
Lol that is prime trolling it has to be for a gameplay formula as tired as Bethesda's, like eating leftover meatloaf

The marketing certainly deserves to win an award for fooling gamers into pre-ordering what Bethesda touted as a AAA cutting edge game that offers "unparalleled exploration " yada yada

for Starfield to win Most Innovate Gameplay is a total joke...it's like they needed to give the game some kind of award and they decided on this one...it's the same formula as the last 5 Bethesda open world games...nothing innovative at all about Starfield except the fact that it takes place in space

Do any of the other 4 games in that list have innovative game play? honest question as i haven't played any of the other 4...

Do any of the other 4 games in that list have innovative game play? honest question as i haven't played any of the other 4...
Never heard of them, but the nomination process was also by popular vote of the Steam userbase.

Never heard of them, but the nomination process was also by popular vote of the Steam userbase.

They gave away steam stickers for voting in each category, so people were incentivised to vote in every category even thought they have never played any of the games. You didn't need to have played a game to vote for it, or even any games in any of the categories, and you did not need to have a VR headset to vote on the VR games. I'm sure there were some people that put thought into their choices and picked Starfield ironically, but there is no way that amount was significant compared to the drones collecting their stickers. People were complaining that they weren't getting cards that they could sell for $.01 like last year....

What is innovative about the game, in your opinion?

Starship building? Been done before.
Procedurally-generated content? Ditto.
I am not saying it is or isn't innovative. I am pointing out thay it doesn't make sense that people would only troll one category.

You could say the game is innovative by combining the following:
-Rpg
-Fps
-Space ship building/flying/fighting
-Outpost building
-Procedurally generated
-ground and space points of interest

Al I know is that I spent hundreds of hours playing Fallout 3, and that I loved every minute of it. Same with New Vegas - hundreds of hours. When Skyrim was released I was ridiculously excited, and then I spent six months playing it, and somehow felt I had only just started. Fallout 4 was a slight letdown initially, but ultimately I loved it.

I couldn’t wait to play Starfield. Being a huge Bethesda fan (obviously) I just assumed I’d spend hundreds of hours playing. I spent 10 hours on this.

But that’s just me.

I am not saying it is or isn't innovative. I am pointing out thay it doesn't make sense that people would only troll one category.

You could say the game is innovative by combining the following:
-Rpg
-Fps
-Space ship building/flying/fighting
-Outpost building
-Procedurally generated
-ground and space points of interest
But it does them all badly

Any word on the patch with city maps? I know they're going to a 6 week patch cycle, last update was mid December I think. Want to wait for that patch before diving in.

Back