Starfield

I have become the god of ore, lol.

starfield_resources.png

Just curious, Have you even started your NG+? because everything goes bye bye lol
I mean I could power level myself to 400-500 with it.
Otherwise yeah it's worthless, non-unique sells for 1 or 2 credits at the vendor and there's nothing useful to craft.

More space encounters
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3575

edit: Tested it myself, jumped 5 systems and 5 planets each. Zero local events, zero space POIs.
Doesn't seem to work.

starfield_morespace.png

Last edited:
Just curious, Have you even started your NG+? because everything goes bye bye lol

Honestly, what is the purpose of NG+? Once the story is over, what is the point of even playing?

It's like reading a mystery novel but you know the ending :p

Honestly, what is the purpose of NG+? Once the story is over, what is the point of even playing?

It's like reading a mystery novel but you know the ending :p

there's some big secret about NG+...I haven't read any spoilers but apparently something really cool happens...

32 hours in and first game crash to desktop. Was doing the flight simulator with second character when it happened. No mods installed.
It took about 40 hours before my first crash since then I crash every 5-10 hours.
I assume it's mods or save bloat.

there's some big secret about NG+...I haven't read any spoilers but apparently something really cool happens...
That's correct, people are essentially farming it.

I don't know what that means but don't spoil it...I hear it's worth discovering on your own...but apparently it's best not to rush to get to NG+
Sure everybody says don't rush it, but then they also say how cool it is.
As a result a bunch of people speedran the ending on day 1 and started throwing around spoilers.

Because as everyone knows, rushing to the end is what Bethesda games are known for. Good grief.

If you rush it you will miss out on things. Play the game to completion at least once.
I think once you start NG+ it will not take long to figure out what is up. Then rush it if you don't like what they are doing.

Seems to be a memory leak, I've had the game freeze up when loading Akila after being there for awhile and going in and out of buildings with separate load zones.

New Nvidia driver 537.42, Reportedly gives much improved performance in Starfiel
My crash happened even though I have this new driver installed.

There are always people who rush through the game as fast as they can. Seen this happen ever since I first started gaming back in '93. Its just human nature in folks. For some anyway.

Yeah I didnt rush threw the game at all. I actually finished most quests/factions etc. Got all the powers I could before going into NG+. I would say took be about 20 days to beat it. I know there was some things i probably didnt find but the game is so massive.

My plan is to do NG+ to about 6-7 to level up the suit and ship, then just play the game again.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
FYI, just ran my bench-save in New Atlantis.... Exact same FPS as previous driver.

But that could be because I'm either CPU or GPU bottlenecked. (Or, most likely both lol)
Ah ha, thanks!

I can't test it right now. My system is torn apart. And I am set to return my 4070 ti----as it has pretty loud, constant coil whine while gaming.

I tried to buy a different one----but the listing was incorrect and they sent me a 4070...

Yesterday I managed to get a 7800 XT Nitro from Newegg. Overall lower performance but....I think I will be fine with it. And costs less.

*And Starfield Performance specifically, is better than a 4070 ti, currently.

As part of some long overdue system maintenance I hooked up some front panel connectors which had come loose today.

In other words, I have a HDD LED for the first time in a while.

Can I say DAMN this game hammers the drive. Like constantly. It's not just a matter of loading new areas as you move around.

You can stay completely still in the same place, and it is pummeling the drive non-stop for no apparently reason.

Meanwhile, it is only usibg 12GB of my 64GB of RAM. Feels like maybe it should be caching more stuff in RAM when available, IMHO.

This game is fun, but man, the engine is fucked.

As part of some long overdue system maintenance I hooked up some front panel connectors which had come loose today.

Can I say DAMN this game hammers the drive. Like constantly. It's not just a matter of loading new areas as you move around.

You can stay completely still in the same place, and it is pummeling the drive non-stop for no apparently reason.

Sounds like DCS.

Meanwhile, it is only usibg 12GB of my 64GB of RAM. Feels like maybe it should be caching more stuff in RAM when available, IMHO.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2245

FO4 had this same issue on my rig, especially with the 4k texture pack installed.

FO4 had this same issue on my rig, especially with the 4k texture pack installed.

Hmm. I don't remember having that problem, but back when I played FO4, I was running off of an Intel SSD750 PCIe NVMe drive (one of the few NVMe drives that actually had a traditional boot rom on it) to boot from NVMe on a motherboard that wasnt otherwise compatible with NVMe, so this meant I got no HDD LED activity.

What with SSD's being silent when reading I may just not have noticed.

Now, in Starfield with the light flashing in my peripheral vision it is hard to ignore.

Like, you expect it to load new resources off the disk as you are walking into new areas, but this is incessant. It is ALWAYS reading. Reminds me of Windows 98 swapping to disk. Near constant disk activity.

Meanwhile when running the game, only 12GB out of my 64GB are actually used. I'm thinking the game should really try to keep more resources in memory, when the memory is available.

Hmm. I don't remember having that problem, but back when I played FO4, I was running off of an Intel SSD750 PCIe NVMe drive (one of the few NVMe drives that actually had a traditional boot rom on it) to boot from NVMe on a motherboard that wasnt otherwise compatible with NVMe, so this meant I got no HDD LED activity.

What with SSD's being silent when reading I may just not have noticed.

Now, in Starfield with the light flashing in my peripheral vision it is hard to ignore.

Like, you expect it to load new resources off the disk as you are walking into new areas, but this is incessant. It is ALWAYS reading. Reminds me of Windows 98 swapping to disk. Near constant disk activity.

Meanwhile when running the game, only 12GB out of my 64GB are actually used. I'm thinking the game should really try to keep more resources in memory, when the memory is available.
My HDD LED would be steady lit unless I was in a interior cell (installed to a old PNY Optima SSD at the time) I put a piece of tape over it :p .
FO76 didn't do it, maybe it was my rig? Who knows?

I have never seen a game do this before, now you say Starfield is doing it, it just triggered my memory. Have you tried that mod out that was linked by Tainted?

I have never seen a game do this before, now you say Starfield is doing it, it just triggered my memory. Have you tried that mod out that was linked by Tainted?

Not yet, but I will! I'm hvaing one of those "major work deadline" weekends where I am catching up. Not a lot of games this weekend.

My HDD LED would be steady lit unless I was in a interior cell (installed to a old PNY Optima SSD at the time) I put a piece of tape over it :p .
FO76 didn't do it, maybe it was my rig? Who knows?

I'm still thinking it would be interesting to stick 256GB of RAM in a machine, and run the game from a RAM disk, and see how it performs.

This is totally within the realms of possibility with modern hardware.

Last edited:
Spoilers it would run exactly the same.

I have found that even running off of my secondary dedicated 2TB Samsung 990 Pro (so no collisions with disk activity on the main OS drive) I find that there is occasionally stutter during disk reads.

I don't expect a HUGE difference, but I think it would be a little bit smoother.

I'm still thinking it would be interesting to stick 256GB of RAM in a machine, and run the game from a RAM disk, and see how it performs.

This is totally within the realms of possibility with modern hardware.
Spoilers it would run exactly the same.
I have found that even running off of my secondary dedicated 2TB Samsung 990 Pro (so no collisions with disk activity on the main OS drive) I find that there is occasionally stutter during disk reads.

I don't expect a HUGE difference, but I think it would be a little bit smoother.
Haha exactly. It's like doing a total reinstall of windows and raid 0 samsung 990 pros just to verify the creation engine blows.

You know, I just thought of something.

Maybe this really shitty disk behavior is on purpose.

Hear me out here.

We know the engine is shitty, and this has caused an unprecedented level of RAM bandwidth dependence.

Maybe they got to the end of the development phase and realized the RAM load was untenable and tried to change things to lower RAM load to free up RAM bandwidth for the main game engines.

Maybe their way of doing this was to force it to read more direct 4k random reads form the disk, as to minimize the impact more typical caching has on the ram?

Just a thought.

We know the engine is shitty, and this has caused an unprecedented level of RAM bandwidth dependence.
Actually, I found that with Resizeable BAR active, DDR5 RAM speed and timings made almost no difference to my framerate, on a 4070 ti.

I'm talking a pretty wide sweep of testing DDR5 5600, 6000, and 6800.

Actually, I found that with Resizeable BAR active, DDR5 RAM speed and timings made almost no difference to my framerate, on a 4070 ti.

I'm talking a pretty wide sweep of testing DDR5 5600, 6000, and 6800.

From what I have seen there are two things going on here.

For intel systems, there is an upper RAM speed after further increasing RAM bandwdith no longer helps, but if you are below that level increasing RAM speeds is a pretty big improvement.

For AM5 AMD systems you will hit a RAM bandwidth peak with DDR5 at some point, because the infinity fabric will be the bottleneck, instead of the RAM. That's probably why high end Intel systems do so much better in this title than high end AMD systems.

Just got a skip shot minigun it fires so fast my fps drops to 40 shooting at walls, 30 at enemies.
:|

starfield_40fps.png

starfield_minigun.png

Last edited:
From what I have seen there are two things going on here.

For intel systems, there is an upper RAM speed after further increasing RAM bandwdith no longer helps, but if you are below that level increasing RAM speeds is a pretty big improvement.

For AM5 AMD systems you will hit a RAM bandwidth peak with DDR5 at some point, because the infinity fabric will be the bottleneck, instead of the RAM. That's probably why high end Intel systems do so much better in this title than high end AMD systems.
Sure. But what I am saying is that, after enabling resizable BAR on the 4070 ti-----the RAM speed and timings differences disappeared.

Sure. But what I am saying is that, after enabling resizable BAR on the 4070 ti-----the RAM speed and timings differences disappeared.

Interesting. I presume RAM bandwidth is probably still relevant at lower speeds (DDR4 and, gulp, DDR3) but it might have helped remove some of the ram load.

I've had Resizeable BAR enabled since 2021, so I never experienced it without.

Back