Starfield

So about 62 hours into the game I had my first crash today.

The game just froze, but I was able to alt-tab to the task manager and kill the process.

That's only using two mods, PureDarks DLSS upscaler, and a custom negative LOD Bias in a custom config file.

Just lost an hour of progress due to irrepairable bugs with the quest "Ground Pounder".
I tried googling fixes but just found people with a dozen other issues on the same quest. Strong avoid.

edit: I will actually lose about 4 hours of gameplay to roll back so I guess it will sit broken in my quest log for now.
I had problems with that one too. Spacer reinforcements wouldn't arrive. I actually mentioned a few pages back that taking off from the planet and landing again fixed it.

I don’t care much what my level is. I just base progress off the main& faction missions. I’m not even done with 2 faction missions yet and barely touched the main storyline outside the first power. I’m over 100 hours. The amount of quests in this game with story and dialog is kind of crazy.
Levelling up in the game seems lethargic to me, you don't gain major useful skills. You have to waste a ton of points on the same tree on skills you don't need/went just to unlock the ones you want. The skill tree especially with the forced challenges is atrocious.
When I get a skill point it is not exciting as it should be, instead it makes me think, OK, shall I hoard this until I complete some stupid challenge, or waste it on something totally useless just to get to the 4 point requirement in a specific tree to unlock 2nd tier skills?

I finally hit a quest breaking bug. Supposed to follow someone but the dude never gets oit of his chair.
I've had something like this happen. Reload the previous auto save (usually where you enter the bldg / zone) and talk to them as far away as possible. It seemed to me if you were very close to them when initiating or didn't let them stand up from the desk / chair they were in, they would just not move. By giving them as much room normally now, I haven't seen that.

Seriously level 80? Was this during a faction quest or?
That's the Terrormorph line quest that I think originates with joining the UC. You get sent to investigate an outpost and make a startling discovery!

The story line is this quest is fantastic for the twists and turns. And he was right that "boss" Terrormorph was probably one of the toughest fights in my 46 levels.

That's the Terrormorph line quest that I think originates with joining the UC. You get sent to investigate an outpost and make a startling discovery!

The story line is this quest is fantastic for the twists and turns. And he was right that "boss" Terrormorph was probably one of the toughest fights in my 46 levels.
Yeah I did that one early, just don’t remember anything being level 80, could be wrong.

But yeah the terrormorph stuff with the UC was my favorite quest, kind of all went downhill after that for me.

Nice mod. However, what I would like to see - and am working on - is taking all the junk and creating resources from them.

It is disappointing to see all those rolls of vacuum tape and not be able to convert to adhesive.
Yeah I'm still relatively early in my playthrough but I struggle with what to loot often beyond the obvious.

Nice mod. However, what I would like to see - and am working on - is taking all the junk and creating resources from them.

It is disappointing to see all those rolls of vacuum tape and not be able to convert to adhesive.

Exactly.... I like how Prey did it. There's so much junk around I don't know what I'm suppose to pick up and what is junk I don't need for crafting. I've run into situations at the work bench and I'm missing components that I had seen earlier but didn't pick up because I assume it was useless junk.

GeForce Experience now has "optimized" profiles for Starfield, so you won't get the low setting suggestions anymore.

tumblr_niie9ey3S91sfbz2qo1_500.gif

Is there any benefits to headshots at all? Increased crit chance or something. Feels like I'm wasting my time doing it.

That's the part that is really interesting about this title.

I mean it happens with every piece of software, but it seems like - more than with most titles - different people are having very different experiences with Starfleld.

I wonder why that is.
Honestly, I'm also really lucky when it comes to stuff like that. For some reason bad bugs that are fairly common among that games community don't get me but the super rare ones will. It's kind of funny. That Batman game that came out a few years back that was nearly unplayable and so common they were just giving refunds on all platforms, didn't effect me at all. I played through that entire game with no significant frame rate issues or anything and my PC wasn't even anything special. I believe I had a 1080 and a mid grade Intel k processor. Software bugs are just fucking weird.

Honestly, I'm also really lucky when it comes to stuff like that. For some reason bad bugs that are fairly common among that games community don't get me but the super rare ones will. It's kind of funny. That Batman game that came out a few years back that was nearly unplayable and so common they were just giving refunds on all platforms, didn't effect me at all. I played through that entire game with no significant frame rate issues or anything and my PC wasn't even anything special. I believe I had a 1080 and a mid grade Intel k processor. Software bugs are just fucking weird.
Yep, i get lucky a lot with this too. That game ran fine for me too on my 970 at launch. I think I'll do just as well in Starfield With my 3060ti.

Yeah, software fails in very unpredictable ways. For instance with C you are typically managing memory addresses manually. A address range might be used for communicating with a piece of hardware, or storing a state in the code. Accidentally write something to the wrong memory address and you could have a completely unpredictable outcome.

In hardware things are more predictable. Have a problem with a tire? It's probably going to result in an issue somewhere on the tire or the wheel.

With software, you could have something really weird happen, like pressing play on the CD player, and having that result in the sun roof opening. (at least if the systems are linked, like they are in many cars with data buses)

I'm only 21 hours in. Play time has been limited due to work, family, etc., I haven't had any crashes. Some lag but nothing game breaking. The quests I been doing are working properly. I haven't done any mods yet though. I been lazy about doing it. I need to try that DLSS mod first. Curious what kind of boost I might see. If any. Did the patch break that DLSS mod?

edit: Solved, crashes caused by this mod. Too many objects being shown on the scanner = crash.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2601

Well my game is officially broken, spits out App Hang errors like candy on any dense planet surface (lots of plants, animals, etc).
Started this morning, guess I'll delete the few mods I installed.

starfield_crash.png

Last edited:
Sad to say that I think I have decided that I am over Starfield.

For how expansive it is, it feels incredibly confined. The amount of freedom feels like a total facade. I've played and enjoyed Bethesda games before, so I am very accustomed to the format, but it somehow feels even more confined in this format than it has in the past. I really dislike not being able to get into my ship and fly off a planet, vice versa for landing. It feels like every time I go somewhere new, it's just a click of a button and a loading screen. It doesn't help that I am far less interested in space games than I am in fantasy RPGs. I was really looking forward to this game, so I am feeling quite disappointed about it not working out for me.

Sad to say that I think I have decided that I am over Starfield.

For how expansive it is, it feels incredibly confined. The amount of freedom feels like a total facade. I've played and enjoyed Bethesda games before, so I am very accustomed to the format, but it somehow feels even more confined in this format than it has in the past. I really dislike not being able to get into my ship and fly off a planet, vice versa for landing. It feels like every time I go somewhere new, it's just a click of a button and a loading screen. It doesn't help that I am far less interested in space games than I am in fantasy RPGs. I was really looking forward to this game, so I am feeling quite disappointed about it not working out for me.
I've been using this starmap to check off each system one by one.
The only locations worth visiting will have quests tied to them, so the game shows you where they are. I've done about 1/3 of the entire map so far and I haven't found a single unique location worth looking at. It's just the same 20 or 30 copy-paste locations over and over. I've also grav jumped like 50 times since I started this process and I only get merchants, pirate battles, and duplicate events. I think many of those are tied to specific systems (or when you visit a new system for the first time), though.

There really isn't much to do in this game aside from quests.

For how expansive it is, it feels incredibly confined. The amount of freedom feels like a total facade. I've played and enjoyed Bethesda games before, so I am very accustomed to the format, but it somehow feels even more confined in this format than it has in the past. I really dislike not being able to get into my ship and fly off a planet, vice versa for landing. It feels like every time I go somewhere new, it's just a click of a button and a loading screen.
That describes really well how I've felt about it. There's a lack of continuity with how you move from one activity to the next. Feels disjointed.

I still don’t understand all the No Man’s Sky comparisons. If I had to name a game that’s kind of like Starfield, I’d go with The Outer Worlds, which, for me, is a vastly better game.

I still don’t understand all the No Man’s Sky comparisons. If I had to name a game that’s kind of like Starfield, I’d go with The Outer Worlds, which, for me, is a vastly better game.

I liked The Outer Worlds, but I found it to be too goofy for my tastes. The stupid moon-heads, sarcastic product jingles, and over the top tongue-in-cheek corporate evils just didn't do it for me. Starfield feels more real and gritty, and I like that.

I do agree - however - that the exploration is a little disappointing. There are all these planets out there, sure, but each one has at most one settlement (+ one or two side locations) to do anything in. Everything else is just endless procedural generated wasteland, with abandoned generic building after abandoned generic building.

I wonder if you add up all of the named places you can discover across all planets, how that compares with the number of named places in something like Fallout 3/NV/4.

Maybe they are similar, but it just doesn't feel like it as they are distributed points across different star systems.

The Outer Worlds does feel like it did a better job of portraying the unknowns of space and exploration though, despite being rather short, and only having a few planets and places to visit.

Maybe this is just a matter of expectations. They played up the "vast expanse" so much in advance of this release, that nothing was ever going to live up to it. And as we all know, the secret to happiness is low expectations :p

Last edited:
I didn't watch the second video but in the first, other than the lighting and maybe some UI elements, that looks like the Starfield I'm playing. I think people need to better understand how game development works before calling people liars. Sometimes things don't go exactly as planned and changes have to be made. I've got no problem calling developers out when warranted but in cases like this when you have to choose between performance and eye candy, sometimes sacrifices are required and it's almost always better to go with performance and add the eye candy later if possible.

I liked The Outer Worlds, but I found it to be too goofy for my tastes. The stupid moon-heads, sarcastic product jingles, and over the top tongue-in-cheek corporate evils just didn't do it for me. Starfield feels more real and gritty, and I like that.

I do agree - however - that the exploration is a little disappointing. There are all these planets out there, sure, but each one has at most one settlement (+ one or two side locations) to do anything in. Everything else is just endless procedural generated wasteland, with abandoned generic building after abandoned generic building.

I wonder if you add up all of the named places you can discover across all planets, how that compares with the number of named places in something like Fallout 3/NV/4.

Maybe they are similar, but it just doesn't feel like it as they are distributed points across different star systems.

The Outer Worlds does feel like it did a better job of portraying the unknowns of space and exploration though, despite being rather short, and only having a few planets and places to visit.

Maybe this is just a matter of expectations. They played up the "vast expanse" so much in advance of this release, that nothing was ever going to live up to it. And as we all know, the secret to happiness is low expectations :p
With Obsidian and Bethseda under the same umbrella, like I've said before maybe we will get a Starfield New Vegas. With that being said I expect some serious mods for Starfield that expand all aspects of the game especially exploration. Again, like I've said before, exploration is really lacking and is just tedious and should be much much more a part of the vastness of the game, instead it makes the game feel bland. There's no adventure in exploring planets, it just a task to do to fill time between quests. That's not good enough. The questing that's in the game is solid and some times spectacular but the extras are limited in their current state. There is a solid foundation here for expansion and the question is whether or not it will come from the modding community or from a new version like New Vegas was for FO3.

With Obsidian and Bethseda under the same umbrella, like I've said before maybe we will get a Starfield New Vegas. With that being said I expect some serious mods for Starfield that expand all aspects of the game especially exploration. Again, like I've said before, exploration is really lacking and is just tedious and should be much much more a part of the vastness of the game, instead it makes the game feel bland. There's no adventure in exploring planets, it just a task to do to fill time between quests. That's not good enough. The questing that's in the game is solid and some times spectacular but the extras are limited in their current state. There is a solid foundation here for expansion and the question is whether or not it will come from the modding community or from a new version like New Vegas was for FO3.

"Starfield New Vegas" makes my spine tingle. :)

I really do highly recommend Outer Worlds to everyone on that note.

Man my ship sucks as I haven’t upgraded anything. What are some good early stage upgrades to buy? I am only level 8 thus far and any encounter means I get screwed very fast.

Also what are some good planets to scan? How do I get access to 100% scan of a planet? Game requires some serious time investment. Damn.

Mantis quest gives a good free early ship. Freestar faction quest will get you one of the best ships in the game for free as well.

Back