Starfield

When does this game pick up after how many hours? Can I use the laser to mine resources anywhere?

I'm just gonna have to enable ship cheats, it's impeding my ability to play the game.
I'm in a similar place right now, have about 5-6 long quests put on pause because I reached the 'space combat' part of them. Spent a couple hours yesterday watching 'ship building tutorials' on youtube instead of playing the game, though I just might buy a pre-made one and modify it. Or use a mod, really not in the mood to play Legos.

Reactions: Down8
like this
About 5hrs in once you start to explore the galaxy and are a decent level and enabled some basic perks like booster pack and thrusters etc. The cutter can be used on any planet in combo with the scanner view which shows which rocks can be mined.

My plan is to complete two or three quests in the main story, get some levels on my character and then just go off and do non story stuff. My character is a sniper build. I like sniping and archery in games so this style will suit me fine. Supposedly if you get enough levels (100 or more) you can get every skill in the game eventually and have all the skills. I imagine some modder will figure out how to give that to players from start if they already haven't.

I do also have an RTX 3070 that I have not tried yet with this game, it would have run on my AM5 / 7600x / DDR 5 / 6000Mhz Cl30 system in PCIe 4, just waiting to see what Nvidia does with next driver.

Also have a AM4 /5600x/ 3600Mhz Cl14 system with an RX 6600 that I am going try with this game once I downloaded to see what it can do.

Plenty of posts and videos showing lower / mid tier cards suffering.
But my 3900x + 3060 Ti is hitting 60+ fps in demanding areas such as planet wilderness / New Atlantis. Over 100 in less demanding areas. Does dip due to traversal / asset loading.
Using HUB performance + PureDark DLSS balanced (58%) + "forced" enable Resizable BAR. Yes, ReBar is disabled by default.

I recently purchased a 7800XT for this game. Using a 12700K CPU. Currently at 1440p, using FSR2 with everything on high, except for population density. getting 150+ fps indoors, 100-120 on planetary surfaces & 78-92 fps in the main city. I may just cap the fps at 120 or something.

I think the game looks really good.

I recently purchased a 7800XT for this game. Using a 12700K CPU. Currently at 1440p, using FSR2 with everything on high, except for population density. getting 150+ fps indoors, 100-120 on planetary surfaces & 78-92 fps in the main city. I may just cap the fps at 120 or something.

Using chill to limit heat output as it's still quite warm for fall here. Chill lets me set 74 to 84 FPS 2160P and limits power usage to about 280 watts during game play which is tolerable (barely). This game certainly is not well optimized but is quite fun to goof around in. So much to do and so little time to spend doing it. This winter I'll turn off chill and let it heat my office for me.

lol space frog is everywhere.

starfield_spacefrog.png

Somehow I turned into this while looting a safe. Once I was done I couldn't see anything so I went to 3rd person view. I fast traveled and it was normal again.

Starfield 2023-09-10 13-30-22.png

Last night I got to the "Find Moroa" on Venus part of the First Steps quest line, popped every fool on the station I could find, then wandered around the station for like 45 mins and never found her. Ended up quicksaving and calling it a night..

1. Where is that b*tch??!!
2. I got the classic encumbered warning like in all Bethesda games and caught my eyes rolling... THAT is the one mod I might end up utilizing on my first playthrough..

Have you guys noticed this game doesn't have the same 10 people voicing every character? It's a nice change of pace.
The VA quality overall is really good. Reminds me more of Mass Effect.

*Envy is a mortal sin.. :(

On all Medium, it basically looks like FO4 in space.... Which is ok by me.

Indoors/planetary outdoors, mine stays at a capped 60. In space, it bounces around the high 40s-low 50's. New Atlantis on the other hand, I avg 35ish and actually saw it hit 30 at one weird spot lol (THANK GOD for Gsync!! And that this game actually works with the Gsync windowed mode, which is RARE these days)

- I did end up bumping my FSR2 from 67% to 75% and that made a noteworthy difference in image quality

I just started but I don't get the digital picks. It seems like it gives me slots that are impossible. Is that how it is supposed to work?

I REALLY want to try StarUI, but I see posts reporting it causes freezes + I don't want to be "that guy" who has to update his mods every week as Bethesda rolls out initial patches/hotfixes etc.

Also, it would appears no one has been able to fully solve/create a proper Carry Limit mod YET. Guess I'll have to wait on that one too :(

Oh well, first playthrough should be VANILLA anyways (y)

I've got like 50 mods installed atm and I'd say like half of them I couldn't live without.
StarUI is good but not essential, it just makes the item rows smaller so more stuff fits in the menu. And it adds columns. It's not as useful as Skyrim's UI mod.

Last night I got to the "Find Moroa" on Venus part of the First Steps quest line, popped every fool on the station I could find, then wandered around the station for like 45 mins and never found her. Ended up quicksaving and calling it a night..

1. Where is that b*tch??!!
2. I got the classic encumbered warning like in all Bethesda games and caught my eyes rolling... THAT is the one mod I might end up utilizing on my first playthrough..

Shes is a he. He also left you something inside the ship thats in that base, go back and look again. When I did that quest the first time the quest marker was bugged and it took me hours to find it.

Last edited:
I've got like 50 mods installed atm and I'd say like half of them I couldn't live without.
StarUI is good but not essential, it just makes the item rows smaller so more stuff fits in the menu. And it adds columns. It's not as useful as Skyrim's UI mod.

Anything that is ABSOLUTELY essential??

I played some on the RX 6600 outside at level one, needed to set desktop to 1080p to have it in the game on my 4K TV and it played much better than 2160p lol... I will have some video up soon with afterburner running, and it played better than a slide show on AM4.

Re Live was running on RX 6600 also, it had a bump to 110watt.
It is running on Team Group 1tb SATA SSD
MSI B550 Mortar /5600x/ 32Gb in 4 x 8Gb setup DDR4 3600Mhz Cl 14

View: https://youtu.be/_oeq_XN-vlg?si=jAMfBuQVl8fZMPC4

Last edited:
I REALLY want to try StarUI, but I see posts reporting it causes freezes + I don't want to be "that guy" who has to update his mods every week as Bethesda rolls out initial patches/hotfixes etc.

Also, it would appears no one has been able to fully solve/create a proper Carry Limit mod YET. Guess I'll have to wait on that one too :(

Oh well, first playthrough should be VANILLA anyways (y)
StarUI has been solid here at least for last 16hrs. But also the game just barely came out, I'm sure it'll all get hammered out - and probably in record time relative to past BGS titles since the hype and momentum on Starfield is their biggest ever, pretty much as suspected it would be.

Is there any mod that gives you a vehicle or changes the distance poi spawn form you or something? Having to spend minutes running to the next poi killed exploring for me.

The way that the game is designed to load the data from the disk happens in relatively large batches, resulting in large frametime spikes*, causing dips and drops in measured average fps when this loading occurs. Unfortunately, as per my informal testing, it does not appear that this can be mitigated through faster storage, RAM or CPU (though I only have the two SKUs to test on)...

It would be interesting to load up a system wiith a shit ton of RAM and move the game to a RAM drive and see how well it works.

I just started but I don't get the digital picks. It seems like it gives me slots that are impossible. Is that how it is supposed to work?
You don't need to use all the tumblers, there will occasionally be one or two left over. Sometimes multiple tumblers can 'fit' in the grooves in one lock, so what you can do it focus on the inner circle first, line up the tumblers/grooves but but don't insert yet. Then select another tumbler and line it up / don't insert again. Repeat/replace until you have all in place then you can insert them all.

Or just install an easy lockpick mod like this one. It doesn't feel like cheating as you still need the skill point unlocks for the higher tier locks.
Also, it would appears no one has been able to fully solve/create a proper Carry Limit mod YET.:(
What? The mods and commands made for 18 year old Oblivion work on this game, its the same engine they've been using forever. Open the console ~ and type: player.setav carryweight 9999 [enter]

About 5hrs in once you start to explore the galaxy and are a decent level and enabled some basic perks like booster pack and thrusters etc. The cutter can be used on any planet in combo with the scanner view which shows which rocks can be mined.

COVID recovery has left me alone in my office without all of the regular household chores to contend with, so I have somehow already put 40 hours into this game. (Normally this would be like 2-3 months of game time for me)

Some thoughts thus far. (There may be some TINY INSIGNIFICANT spoilers below, so don't read if that bothers you.)

I'm about level 18 I think?

Early in the game I found that gun battles on planet were fun, and not too challenging even at "Very Hard", but at "very hard" space battles with other ships were damn near impossible. 1:1 I could handle, but many of the side quests set you up 3:1 against spacers and/or pirates, and having all three hammer you at the same time was insta-death.

Discovering that you can heal while in battle by using ship parts helped (a lot). I initially assumed you had to go back to dock or something for repairs.

Anyway, because I felt like my ship skills were lacking I've spent most of that time leveling up my piloting and shipbuilding skills and trying to improve my ship.

Many people suggest doing the Mantis mission early on to get a good free ship, but I didn't really think it was as great as many suggested. I had already started upgrading the base ship at that point, so maybe that was why. So I just sold it (for some reason this ship didn't need to be registered, like most do, so there was a huge credit windfall)

My first decent ship actually came on the way to the system to do the Mantis mission. I couldn't jump directly to the system for the mantis mission, as I had unexplored systems along the the way, so I spent some time exploring those systems, as I had to stop there anyway. In one of them (can't remember which) I received a distress call from a "Damaged Ship". During the radio conversation it became apparent Spacers were trying to seize the ship, so I docked, killed the spacers, and found that they had already killed the crew before I got onboard, so the ship was mine.

The ship wasn't perfect, but it has been a really good platform to build upon. I added some cargo space, but this weighed it down, so I also needed some extra engines, so I added those, and since, I have been upgrading this ship as I go along.

Interesting notes on ship building, if anyone missed it. You are almost always going to be reactor limited. So, to make life easier and minimize how much you have to shift power around during battle (which is distracting and can get you killed) focus not just on their output (damage, or thrust) but on how much output they can provide per unit of energy used. More energy efficient parts make life much much easier.

For weapons, look not just at their max damage, but also their rate of fire. Multiply the two for total damage per second (wish the game did this for you, like some before it, but...)

Also keep weight in mind. I recently got the level and the skills to buy my first C class engines (Nova 2000?) and was thrilled and went to upgrade my existing B class engines (Nova 1000?) only to realize the fancier more powerful engines actually made my ship slower as they only had ~20% more boost, but weighed more than 3 times as much each (and I have 4 of them) so I undid that "upgrade".

For me the ship challenge has constantly been chasing a bigger and badder reactor. (these also have weight penalties as they go up though)

The only downside here is that due to a game bug some but not all human generated side quest ships cannot be renamed. So I am stuck with my nice modified ship (a tasteful if somewhat bastardized mix of Deimos and Tayo parts?) being named "Damaged Ship" and there doesn't seem to be anyhting I can do to change it. I've tried renaming it a million times in different starports to no avail. Other ships I've had could be renamed, but this one just refuses.

So, some 50 hours in, I have yet to do any crafting, mining, or outpost building. I have a shit ton of resources I have been dumping in the safe in your room at the Lodge as it has unlimited storage. Most of the resources I've salvaged from blown up ships, taken from the cargo of spacer/pirate ships I've seized, etc.

I figure at some point I'll get around to crafting/mining/outpost building, but thus far I find crafting rather disappointing in this game You can mod weapons, but not craft any from scratch. You also cannot craft any ammo. This last point was a huge frustration for me, as my favorite gun uses 9x39mm ammo, which has been very difficult to find in game.

I don't know. COVID brain is real. I can't remember why I started typing this, but instead it just turned into a long side note. Sorry robbiekhan Not sure why I quoted you. There was a reason to begin with, but I can't remember :p

Last edited:
With some tuning of the settings you can easily be in the 70s. Some of the options show little to no graphical change for a big performance hit.
This is true of most games... I wish people would remember that instead of always acting like maxed ultra is the only option in general and for reviews. Tweaked settings for the win.

This is true of most games... I wish people would remember that instead of always acting like maxed ultra is the only option in general and for reviews. Tweaked settings for the win.

Many people consider maxed out everything settings "the way the developer intended it to look" and anything less to be cutting corners.

I remember a time when no existing PC on the planet could run everything at max settings at launch. Medium to high was the best you could expect. Ultra was for "the future".

All that said, I am running everything maxed in this game with the DLSS mod at a quality setting (can't remember, 76%?) and it is totally playable at 4k, but I have a 4090. If I couldn't, I'd start tweaking before giving up on the game.

I tend to follow Digital Foundry's recommendations as a baseline

Every Bethesda RPG prologue, ranked from worst to best

Fallout 4 (worst)
Skyrim
Fallout 76
Starfield
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout 3 (best)

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-bethesda-rpg-prologue-ranked-from-worst-to-best/
I was about to say that Fallout 4’s prologue was by far the best, when I saw that the list was compiled by PC Gamer. That publication has gone off the rails.

Strangely, I still visit their website because they do a relatively good job with their newsfeed.

Back