Starfield

I ahve not come across any controls that cannot be remapped. There are A LOT of controls in this game though. It will take a little time to get custom controls right (and not interfering with each other)

I always remap controls in every PC game, the default controls always suck...plus I prefer using the arrow keys for movement so I remap everything else around that (along with all 5 buttons on my mouse)...I usually spend a good amount of time in the settings remapping everything before starting the game (depending on which controls I'm going to be using most often)...sometimes I even go back in after playing for 10- 15 hours and remap some keys again

Don't bother mass producing any mining outposts, cargo links sporadically break themselves and it seems totally random.
I have 9 outposts all linked up, worked fine for several hours and now 2 of them just stopped working. I had fixed 2 others earlier today, those still work.

I've spent the last 2 days building outposts all over the place and trying every possible combination of cargo links to make it work, and it just doesn't.
All Bethesda had to do was copy FO4's settlement system and it would've been fine. They fucked it all up and I doubt they'll ever fix it, maybe when the dev tools come out a modder can fix it.

If you actually need mined resources, the only real way to do it:
1. Find a planet that has the resource you need.
2. Use your on-foot scanner to find an outpost area with the most amount of the resource in it.
3. Fill the entire place with as many extractors as you can fit, and connect them to as many storage containers as you need.
4. Go do something else for an hour.
5. Come back, loot all your resource from storage, then hold "R" on the outpost beacon to instantly delete everything.

Don't use cargo links at all. They *might* work if you just build one, to connect 1 outpost to another, but no more. It's best to just pretend cargo links don't exist.

The truly sad thing is that there is a perk buried down in the 'Social' tree that DOUBLES the amount of cargo links you can build. I can't even imagine what the purpose of that is.

I've got about 22 hours on PureDarks DLSS mod (the free on, not frame gen) and have not experienced a crash yet.
Well, great! But, lots of people have reported crashing. and it was fixed by removing the mod. It is most common with the framegen mod. But, the non-framegen mods can also cause crashing.

Don't bother mass producing any mining outposts, cargo links sporadically break themselves and it seems totally random.
I have 9 outposts all linked up, worked fine for several hours and now 2 of them just stopped working. I had fixed 2 others earlier today, those still work.

I've spent the last 2 days building outposts all over the place and trying every possible combination of cargo links to make it work, and it just doesn't.
All Bethesda had to do was copy FO4's settlement system and it would've been fine. They fucked it all up and I doubt they'll ever fix it, maybe when the dev tools come out a modder can fix it.

probably a bug that'll be fixed later with a patch...like you said Fallout's 4's settlements linking of resources worked fine and I'm sure Starfield's system works pretty much the same

probably a bug that'll be fixed later with a patch...like you said Fallout's 4's settlements linking of resources worked fine and I'm sure Starfield's system works pretty much the same
Cargo links are a total cluster fuck compared to FO4's supply lines.
They put 50+ resources into the game spread across 1000 planets, you can build 24 outposts, but the method of moving items between outposts is a total mess. I genuinely don't know wtf they were thinking. It's an entire aspect of the game that is functionally useless at the moment.

I've done that. It takes until I exit the ship builder, then I am back with "Damaged Ship" again.

This seems to be a common problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/167f5mw/bug_unable_to_change_ship_names/

Apply the name 2-3 times. It happened to me before too, I just spent some time trying to make a Klingon bird-of-prey type ship and I had to apply the name like 14 times before it would stick lol

Man it took a while to find green guns for the disruptors~

20230908173125_1.jpg
20230908174326_1.jpg

Last edited:
Actually they didn't. I ran into resource linking bugs ALL the time in Fallout 4 that generally was never patched. I'd be willing to bet there is a similar error in this game..

Actually they didn't. I ran into resource linking bugs ALL the time in Fallout 4 that generally was never patched. I'd be willing to bet there is a similar error in this game..

I don't remember how many settlements I set up and linked in Fallout 4 but it was under 10 (I never focused on the settlements as it took me out of what I really wanted to do in the game)...so maybe the issues popped up when you try and link a lot of settlements

welp, you can't convince me otherwise, I obviously need a 4090.

This is a bug, I've seen people with all sorts of cards reporting it. Unfortunately I haven't seen a solution other than "update drivers".

Apply the name 2-3 times. It happened to me before too, I just spent some time trying to make a Klingon bird-of-prey type ship and I had to apply the name like 14 times before it would stick lol

View attachment 597268
View attachment 597273
“Cry ’Havoc!’, and let slip the dogs of war!” -LigTasm probably.

“Cry ’Havoc!’, and let slip the dogs of war!” -LigTasm probably.

I've made too many ships now I can't decide which one to use. My Star Destroyer is the best overall in use though, its got 8 auto turrets and just shreds everything.

I took it to Kryk or whatever that pirate system is and killed about 20 enemies in less than 90 seconds while barely moving. I needed to get 10,000 damage with auto turrets to level the skill up.

I've encountered a really annoying situation. I've been roaming around the first planet where you're supposed to destroy the pirate base. I was really confused because I thought I was just supposed to walk all the way over to the pirate base from the initial landing site on the planet... which was not the case. After killing (and almost dying to) 2 level 10 Xenomorphs, murdering a lot of people, and killing even more alien bugs, I realized... the pirate base wasn't actually there. The game doesn't really make it clear that there is just a separate landing site for the pirate base, and that the surface of the planet is not continuous. Kind of wish they would.

But that's not the most annoying part. The annoying part is that I went exploring while near the landing site for the pirate base, and encountered a pirate ship. So obviously I killed all of the pirates and took it over... only to find out while I was inside of the ship that they took off with me in, so my only option for getting back to the planet is apparently landing the pirate ship, which has less cargo capacity than the Frontier and is overall worse. Landing in the pirate ship makes it my home ship automatically... But I can't switch back to the Frontier as my home ship because that apparently requires some docking area... which I don't have access to yet.

1694218342935.png

I'm overencumbered and can't fast travel after landing, but I can't store things in the new ship because for some reason all your stuff gets automatically transferred to the new ship after landing:
1694218453194.png

I'm sorry... what? Like just what? This is some annoying and INCREDIBLY STUPID GARBAGE. NONE of it makes sense. Obviously it makes no sense as why we can't explore planets with vehicles. But okay fine. You did it for gameplay purposes. But you don't give me any way to change ships except through an NPC, and just automagically transfer inventory to a new one if I find it? That doesn't make a lick of bloody sense. One of the points of having multiple ships in No Man's Sky is that you can spread your inventory out among them. This game? Apparently not. Obviously I want to add a free ship to my inventory, but I guess I need to reload the game to before I got it? And I don't know if it eventually takes off if I don't kill everyone inside. Sigh. Wtf? Why am I even having to face this dilemma? It's stupid.

Also for giggles, this is the character that I made. No, I don't know why I made all of my characters after John Wick, it's just low effort lol. My friend makes me watch the films whenever a new one comes out.

1694217552973.png

What way should I play this game? Any tips are appreciated. I feel like I wasted my money.

For all my complaints (and there are many - terrible UI design, stupid map, mediocre graphics with insane hardware requirements / comically bad performance optimization) the biggest thing wrong with Starfield is that you can't interact with things in the scanner mode.

Honestly, I may stop playing until someone makes a mod to fix this. Incredibly dumb design decision - it has to be deliberate, there's no way that didn't come up in QA.

View attachment 597268
View attachment 597273

I've tried renaming this ship a million times unsuccessfully.

B to go to ship builder.
C for flight check
G for to rename ship
G again and type ship name
Enter when done
Enter again to confirm
E to exit

Ship name stays the same.

Makes no sense that it works for some people and not others.

Edit, it seems to work on other ships. It seems like it is only this ship that won't let me rename it. Weird and annoying.

What way should I play this game? Any tips are appreciated. I feel like I wasted my money.

here's a good beginners guide...

The first set of missions you should do in Starfield are the main quests. You don’t have to finish the campaign in one sitting, but you should complete the first three missions because they unlock many important features in the game. Here’s the order you should follow:

One Small Step
The Old Neighborhood
Into the Unknown

After completing One Small Step and The Old Neighborhood, you’ll simultaneously be able to access Back to Vectera, The Empty Nest, and Into the Unknown...You should finish Into the Unknown before the other two, as this mission unlocks your first Power in the game and grants access to more of them...

https://www.charlieintel.com/starfield/starfield-things-to-do-in-early-game-270328/

I just love how economical transportation costs are in this game world.

Especially when you get fetch quests...

NPCs be like, "Can you go kill this guy real quick who's just three solar systems away? I'll pay you 3 grand"

Sure! Let me get in my Tesla real quick and get right on it!

Last edited:
I just love how economical transportation costs are in this game world.

Especially when you get fetch quests...

NPCs be like, "Can you go kill this guy real quick who's just three solar systems away? I'll pay you 3 grand"

Sure! Let me get in my Tesla real quick and get right on it!

Except for buying ships, money ceases to be an issue for me after like the second mission. But I loot everything that isn’t bolted down, and some things that are. The most lucrative is just landing at a random location on a planet and jacking every ship that comes by.

Except for buying ships, money ceases to be an issue for me after like the second mission. But I loot everything that isn’t bolted down, and some things that are. The most lucrative is just landing at a random location on a planet and jacking every ship that comes by.
This is has always been one of my complaints since Skyrim, TBH. Money is really only useful in these games for stuff like houses. I wish they'd do a better job at putting more useful items at vendors for you to buy.

Guess I'm gonna have to finally use the ship builder, I'm level 40 and I can't even kill a single enemy ship now.

Since I don’t have a PC at the moment I started playing it on the shitbox. Runs like crap and doesn’t even feel like 30 fps but overall game seems stable thus far. Haven’t seen too many of the usual bugs. Got to some new planet where I have to deal with some pirates. Do I go in guns blazing or actually try to negotiate a truce?

I've encountered a really annoying situation. I've been roaming around the first planet where you're supposed to destroy the pirate base. I was really confused because I thought I was just supposed to walk all the way over to the pirate base from the initial landing site on the planet... which was not the case. After killing (and almost dying to) 2 level 10 Xenomorphs, murdering a lot of people, and killing even more alien bugs, I realized... the pirate base wasn't actually there. The game doesn't really make it clear that there is just a separate landing site for the pirate base, and that the surface of the planet is not continuous. Kind of wish they would.

But that's not the most annoying part. The annoying part is that I went exploring while near the landing site for the pirate base, and encountered a pirate ship. So obviously I killed all of the pirates and took it over... only to find out while I was inside of the ship that they took off with me in, so my only option for getting back to the planet is apparently landing the pirate ship, which has less cargo capacity than the Frontier and is overall worse. Landing in the pirate ship makes it my home ship automatically... But I can't switch back to the Frontier as my home ship because that apparently requires some docking area... which I don't have access to yet.

I'm overencumbered and can't fast travel after landing, but I can't store things in the new ship because for some reason all your stuff gets automatically transferred to the new ship after landing:

I'm sorry... what? Like just what? This is some annoying and INCREDIBLY STUPID GARBAGE. NONE of it makes sense. Obviously it makes no sense as why we can't explore planets with vehicles. But okay fine. You did it for gameplay purposes. But you don't give me any way to change ships except through an NPC, and just automagically transfer inventory to a new one if I find it? That doesn't make a lick of bloody sense. One of the points of having multiple ships in No Man's Sky is that you can spread your inventory out among them. This game? Apparently not. Obviously I want to add a free ship to my inventory, but I guess I need to reload the game to before I got it? And I don't know if it eventually takes off if I don't kill everyone inside. Sigh. Wtf? Why am I even having to face this dilemma? It's stupid.

Also for giggles, this is the character that I made. No, I don't know why I made all of my characters after John Wick, it's just low effort lol. My friend makes me watch the films whenever a new one comes out.
I agree about ship inventories 1) being way too small. How can I personally carry more than some ships? Seeing as how the ship is the most logical place to keep components so you can access from anywhere, it is frustrating 2) getting dumped on the new ship, which already comes with a ton of junk to take up weight.

That said, your whole situation seems pretty awesome. You got kidnapped by pirates and hauled off into space, unscripted.
You then killed all of the pirates and took over the ship.
It is stuff like this that are a selling point of the game

I agree about ship inventories 1) being way too small. How can I personally carry more than some ships? Seeing as how the ship is the most logical place to keep components so you can access from anywhere, it is frustrating 2) getting dumped on the new ship, which already comes with a ton of junk to take up weight.

That said, your whole situation seems pretty awesome. You got kidnapped by pirates and hauled off into space, unscripted.
You then killed all of the pirates and took over the ship.
It is stuff like this that are a selling point of the game
I had this happen to me last night. A nice sized ship landed and I went over to it and there were pirates coming out, so I shoot them and board the ship. They take off, and I am fighting my way through and all of a sudden a Skyrim like shout happened and I died. I really don't know wtf happened. Respawn just a few seconds before the shout kills me so I just loaded up the save before I went to the ship.

This game straight up looks like jagged trash on a 24" 1080P display (AW2523HF).
I am playing with Upscaling disabled currently which apparently also disables TAA.

If you have the horsepower and an Nvidia GPU (I have a 4070) I highly recommend using DLDSR:
  1. Enable 2.25X DLDSR in Nvidia Control Panel
  2. Set Desktop Resolution to the DLDSR resolution (2880x1620) in Nvidia Control Panel
  3. Start Starfield, make sure Borderless Fullscreen is selected under Display
Game looks so much better now and I still get around 55 - 60FPS in New Atlantis.

System:
AMD 5800X3D
AsRock B450 Fatal1ty ITX
32GiB ECC DDR-3200 (loose timings)
Nvidia 4070 FE

Settings:
Code:
[Display]
fRenderResolutionScaleFactor=1.0000
bHasRunAutoQualitySettings=1
uiUpscaleTech=0
bBorderless=1
bFull Screen=1
bDepthOfFieldEnable=0
bDynamicResolutionEnabled=0
bEnableVsync=0
fFilmGrainIntensity=0.2500
fMaxAnisotropy=16
bEnableVsync=0

[Quality]
uGlobalRendererQuality=2
uMotionBlur=1
uSAO=1

[Volumes]
bShowVolumeGeometry=0

[MotionBlur]
bEnableMotionBlur=0

Starfield PC- Digital Foundry Tech Review

While I may critique a number of aspects of this PC version with varying levels of harshness, regardless of these critiques the PC version of this game is indeed the best way to play it...so all my critiques need to be seen through that lens...nonetheless there are issues in the PC version that need addressing to make the game better...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciOFwUBTs5s

Since I don’t have a PC at the moment I started playing it on the shitbox. Runs like crap and doesn’t even feel like 30 fps but overall game seems stable thus far. Haven’t seen too many of the usual bugs. Got to some new planet where I have to deal with some pirates. Do I go in guns blazing or actually try to negotiate a truce?
What happened to your PC PSU go bad?

What happened to your PC PSU go bad?
Nah he's waiting on new components to build an AM5 rig,
They're pirates let them have it then negotiate with their leader.

Starfield pretty much graphically looks like Skyrim and FO4 in the game to me. It uses the very same game engine and graphic engines, although tweaked each time, so it makes sense it looks like it does. I remember when Skyrim came out people did complain about the graphics. They did the same with FO4. I call it a washed out look. Not sure if that's the proper term but its how I describe it. Again there are people who just dont like it and think the game should have more of a modern look to it like the newer games. Now we know the modders made Skyrim and FO4 look much much better graphically. I'm sure they will for SF too given time. Bethesda doesn't seem to care one way or another what people think of the graphics. They know and allow the community to change it if they so desire. Is that lazy on Bethesda's part? You can argue yes and no on that and both be right I'm thinking. Its my understanding the next Skyrim is going to be using the unity engine so I'm thinking that will be a huge new look for that game. I'm thinking the next FO game will use unity as well since its suppose to come out after TES 6. The graphics should be much better when they come out. At the end of the day you either like the game or not. Simple as that. There is going to be two camps in this respect. Pretty much like this for every game made. Those who praise it and those that crap on it for whatever reason. Just my two credits on the subject. Also like I mentioned before I'm learning more about the game here than from the many YT videos. Kudos to all!

Being mindful of spoilers - are there any significant game mechanics I miss out on besides
space magic shouts
if I just drop off Vasco in NA and never engage with the main quest again?

Been enjoying the game quite a bit for what it is. Meandering around grabbing quests , boarding and capturing pirate ships, built an outpost to learn that and so on. It runs fine for me after the series of crashes I had day one which were the result of my unstable ram OC apparently. Haven’t had this game crash at all since sorting that out. I took the main quest upt to finishing Into the unknown and now am looking at some of the companion stories and more side quests. I don’t sit around and pixel peep so other than losing film grain and motion blur I’m running at the default 1440p ultra with FSR and 75% render scaling averaging over 100fps according to Adrenaline. My brother is on a 6700k and 2060 super and not bitching. I am interested in what settings he is running and how it actually looks though!

Last edited:
Not familiar with the inner workings of DLSS but apparently there's some issue with LOD bias in Starfield.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/16ds9e5/psa_for_dlss_with_starfield_set_a_negative_lod/

Bethesda/AMD fucked up and didn't set a negative lod bias with FSR like they're supposed to, so it's loading lower res textures the lower the resolution scale you use (for both FSR and DLSS). To fix this, download Nvidia Profile Inspector, and select the Starfield profile.

Set "Antialiasing - Transparency supersampling" to "0x0000008 AA_Mode_Replay_Mode_All"

And set "Texture Filtering - Filtering Bias (Dx)" to the appropriate value.

Good starting points are -0.5 for Quality (67%) and -1.0 for Balance (58%) to kind of match Native. You'll have to play around with it if you're using other scaling ratios.

Here are some before and afters.

https://imgsli.com/MjA0NDg2/3/4

There will probably be some bugs using this method though since it's not done natively. One thing I noticed is that shiny metallic surfaces become even more reflective. Also the rocks seems to pop up a bit for some reason.

EDIT: obviously use sharpening if you want. I mostly wanted to point out that some of the blurriness is due to this problem.

UPDATE I've been informed in the comments there's a StarfieldCustom.ini tweak you can use instead of using Nvidia profile inspector. I tested it, and it works. This method is better because it doesn't effect reflections. It's just this.

[Display]
fMipBiasOffset=-0.5 (or whatever value you want)

Back