Starfield

Have you tried without the DLSS mod? Just to be sure. I have occasional crashes with my AMD card in this game too, so it may just be the game, matter of fact I crashed like 5 times on the final mission yesterday before I started me NG+.

Not yet. Could you check your Event Viewer to see what error you get, please? I just want to see if you get the same thing. Well, the AMD version of it I mean. It's some driver recovered error.

I'm pretty excited for the expansions.

My main thing right now is I just want more control over internal ship customization. The ship builder is really well done, but the fact that you can't build/modify the internal spaces more kind of sucks. All you can do is toss items around.

I have 60 hours now in the game and have yet to have a single crash, or any serious issues that broke any quests/etc. The most common bug I get is just your follower being stuck in a falling animation, or some NPC's wandering away while in a conversation. However, I still submit that this game is more bug free right now at launch than stock Skyrim or Fallout 3/4 without the community patches.

That really sucks.

I'll be honest, even though I haven't had any serious bugs in this game yet (Amazing for a launch Bethesda title), I still manually make a save every 30-45 minutes or so.
Yea its an old habit im going to have to get back into again. Game has crashed a few times for me, and some graphical glitches but much better than my skyrim and fo4 launch experiences

Will mods corrupt my install? I had a bunch of mods in this one game it wouldn't even launch.

Will mods corrupt my install? I had a bunch of mods in this one game it wouldn't even launch.
I personally wouldn't mod right now as you're going to be fighting constant updates that the mods might break vice versa. Unless we're talking DLL injection type mods, etc that don't fuck with game saves.

Not yet. Could you check your Event Viewer to see what error you get, please? I just want to see if you get the same thing. Well, the AMD version of it I mean. It's some driver recovered error.

The AMD thing comes up when it crashes and said the driver crashed, I have to reboot when it happens to recover the driver fully.

Can't find the story, but it looks like the tiles you land and explore are connected. If you disable the boundary wall the game crashes when you try to cross the boundary though.

So the planets look to actually be planets, just broken up into squares.

Can't find the story, but it looks like the tiles you land and explore are connected. If you disable the boundary wall the game crashes when you try to cross the boundary though.

So the planets look to actually be planets, just broken up into squares.
Yes. I actually spent a bunch of time trying to find easter eggs on Earth, but didn't find any. I think I'd need the ability to land on hand-jammed in exact coordinates. I've seen weird artwork objects in the game with what look like coordinates on them for certain planets as well. I've also seen an image of the St Louis Arch on Earth, and it leads me to believe it's in the game and could be found if you landed in the exact correct spot. (Although it could be used for a mission I just haven't stumbled on yet)

The AMD thing comes up when it crashes and said the driver crashed, I have to reboot when it happens to recover the driver fully.
I get these two:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\000000df
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Tried this fix out (along with a chipset driver update) and haven't gotten it again yet, but who knows.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/12l01wf/nvlddmkm_4090_crash_solved/jg4ygjh/

I'm staying very conservative and basic with mods right now. Smooth ship reticle, StarUI inventory, and Neutral LUTs are all I'm using. These are simple mods that make a world of difference.

the only 2 mods I plan on installing are DLSS 2 and Neutral LUT...I'm not a fan of installing dozens of mods which need to get updated each time a new patch is released...

Do not under any circumstance give full control permissions at a normal user level to the Nvidia driver. That is really bad advice given by someone who has no clue what they are doing.

But multiple users report it solving the issue. It might have solved it for myself, as well. I'll find out when I wake up lol, running Prime95 while idling in Starfield while having a Brave window open to GBF, while connected to a discord server chat for good measure.

What exactly are the ramifications of giving User permission level to just that .sys file that is mentioned in the event viewer...?

But multiple users report it solving the issue. It might have solved it for myself, as well. I'll find out when I wake up lol, running Prime95 while idling in Starfield while having a Brave window open to GBF, while connected to a discord server chat for good measure.

What exactly are the ramifications of giving User permission level to just that .sys file that is mentioned in the event viewer...?
It fixed my crashes in AC Valhalla earlier this year.
Once I finished the game I reset the permissions though.

Basically make your machine a super easy target for privilege escalation.

So I went to the Stroud-Eckland starbase to make a ship because reasons, mainly because I gave myself a billion credits so I can play ship legos for a while. I think this one came out pretty slick, too bad 80m is the max size. 4 auto turrets so I don't have to try and maneuver this monstrosity. I kinda used some of the Homeworld frigates as a reference.

20230907115119_1.jpg

20230907115100_1.jpg

20230907115047_1.jpg

Wow, that thing looks absolutely slick.

I've got a fairly modified Privateer right now, but eventually when I get to c tier ships I plan on going all out on something like that. Looks like you also started with the privateer on that one.

Another thing I'm eventually going to do is make about the best 40m ship I can since there are some landing spots that only support 40m or below.

Wow, that thing looks absolutely slick.

I've got a fairly modified Privateer right now, but eventually when I get to c tier ships I plan on going all out on something like that. Looks like you also started with the privateer on that one.

Another thing I'm eventually going to do is make about the best 40m ship I can since there are some landing spots that only support 40m or below.
My end goal will be a borg cube 40m^3

I'm staying very conservative and basic with mods right now. Smooth ship reticle, StarUI inventory, and Neutral LUTs are all I'm using. These are simple mods that make a world of difference.
This calm before the mods storm is probably the best time to play anyway, because once the amount of mods hits a critical mass then it can become an all-consuming slippery slope - the modding itself becomes the game, and you spend most of your time managing and tuning the mods. Anyone that ever had shitloads of Skyrim or FO4 mods knows.

This calm before the mods storm is probably the best time to play anyway, because once the amount of mods hits a critical mass then it can become an all-consuming slippery slope - the modding itself becomes the game, and you spend most of your time managing and tuning the mods. Anyone that ever had shitloads of Skyrim or FO4 mods knows.
what i do is just not mod the game, other than critical fixes. problem solved

ugh, just had my ship disappear on a planet. and only save that still had it goes back about 4 hours. ugh! Might hold out a little and see if they patch it anytime soon.

Have you tried TAB > Quests > Select different quest > R?

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Have you tried TAB > Quests > Select different quest > R?
yup. Its so annoying. I really want a 'call ship' option.

and it sucks im on a moon with little to no activity and no ship services

edit: i have one outpost i havent tried fast travelling to that, might have to give that a go tonight.

Last edited:
Well now that I've played to my liking, I'm getting down to business seeing how performance is on my different parts. I have available to me: 5700X, 7950X3D, 13700KF. For GPUs, I only have AMD right now as the 4090 TUF died an unglorious death and went back to daddy newegg, one day it just stopped powering on and the red light by the 12vhpr plug was on no matter what. It was within the return windows so back it went. I have an RX570, RX 6600, RX 6700XT and 7900XTX to play with.

If anyone wants to see this or that let me know and I'll do my best, I like "reviews" but without a trusted source like this site was when in the business I tend to only go with what I observe for myself. GN, Linus, HUB, etc all have too much politics going on between them.

Any way to disable sync?

I have a single gamepass account on several PCs. But it keeps trying to sync my saves between them, but id like to have 2 distinct gameplays.

Any way to disable sync?

I have a single gamepass account on several PCs. But it keeps trying to sync my saves between them, but id like to have 2 distinct gameplays.

For gamepass I have no idea, maybe do manual saves? Even then its annoying because you can't name them.

Made a post in my other topic, but I started playing this just yesterday and now I'm getting nvlddmkm crashes to desktop (though I didn't get any yesterday oddly) in it, along with Divinity Original Sin 2. Event viewer looks something like "The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found." Sucks, barely got anywhere. Hope this game didn't somehow kill my 3080 Ti like that one Amazon game does. Only mod I have installed is that Luke something or other DLSS mod...
Games don't kill otherwise healthy GPU's. Not that Amazon game, not any other game.

They COULD back in the day, but these days there are so many thermal controls in there to throttle and otherwise prevent damage that this is pretty much impossible.

The Amazon game probably just teased out the defect in defective Nvidia GPU's, you know like we saw in the Space Invaders episode.

Modern GPU's are designed to take everything sent to them, and if they can't handle it, throttle. If they can't, it is the GPU that is defective, not the game.

yes, exactly. also o2 should be more of a consideration, as well as planetary hazards like extreme temps.

this is where i was going with my comment about more detailed repair/damage mechanics for the ship. imagine your life support/o2 system gets knocked out and everyone has to don suits until it can be repaired, stuff like that. it would add SO much to the game imho.
Behtedsa is too focussd on catering to the casual gamer to do that. Hopefully it can be modded.

they are kind of like the McDonald's of video game devs

Behtedsa is too focussd on catering to the casual gamer to do that. Hopefully it can be modded.

they are kind of like the McDonald's of video game devs
I dunno, they make pretty big games with lots of replay-ability for you labeling them as a bottom of the barrel dev. They were one of the first pushing open world gaming, or crafting your own spells was a good one too. They arent perfect of course, but to compare them to mcdonalds either you are just trolling or havent actually played more than 1 or 2 of their games. Casual gamers arent putting in hundreds of hours into a single game.

Yeah, McDonalds of game devs is more like Activision with the COD series. All of Bethesda's games since at least Morrowind are some of the most complex on the market, and give many hundreds of hours of playability.

4090 and 12700k. Frames between 55-90 from the first three hours of play so far. Why is this game so hard to run? The textures look like ass, the characters look like they're from games 10+ years ago. The lighting is nothing special. Basically does not look anything special at all. Gameplay is pretty epic so far though. But still, I should be getting 150+ at 4k by the looks of the graphics alone. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn are way better looking and run way better.

4090 and 12700k. Frames between 55-90 from the first three hours of play so far. Why is this game so hard to run? The textures look like ass, the characters look like they're from games 10+ years ago. The lighting is nothing special. Basically does not look anything special at all. Gameplay is pretty epic so far though. But still, I should be getting 150+ at 4k by the looks of the graphics alone. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn are way better looking and run way better.
The bullshit posts about the game looking 10+ years old are just plain stupid and not true.

If the game did look like it was made 10 years ago you would be getting 150+ fps and be batching about the game looking like ass.

It's amazing that people can't comprehend that you aren't going to get a game like this, and get the latest UE graphics at the same time.

A lot of it is Bethesdas crappy game engine. Yes, we are now dealing with "Creation Engine 2", but it is still the same old engine patched and patched again to try to salvage sunk costs. They should really rewrite their engine from scratch, or just use a 3rd party engine like everyone else.

That said, with a 12700k and a 4090 you should be getting better performance than you are seeing. With a 12700k your CPU should be limiting you to about mid 70's fps in CPU heavier areas (like New Atlantis) and allow you to go way higher in other areas.

What graphics settings are you using? It sounds like you might be running everything ultra t 4k and have disabled FSR. That's not going to work well on any currently existing GPU in this title. I'd recommend grabbing and installing the DLSS mod, or just using a high quality FSR2 setting.

The bullshit posts about the game looking 10+ years old are just plain stupid and not true.

If the game did look like it was made 10 years ago you would be getting 150+ fps and be batching about the game looking like ass.

10+ years old is maybe an exaggeration, but it is true that it doesn't look as good as other current gen titles. The likes of Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2 and Far Cry 6 all look much better, and at the same time are much easier on the system than this game.

Just compare any in-game screen shot of say Judy Alvarez from Cyberpunk 2077 and Sarah Morgan from Starfield, and it clear we are dealing with an absolute generational difference in graphics between the two, especially when it comes to characters and faces.

It's amazing that people can't comprehend that you aren't going to get a game like this, and get the latest UE graphics at the same time.

And why is that? There is absolutely nothing about this game that should make it harder on system resources (other than Creation Engine jank)

Yes, it is a big game, with a big universe, but that doesn't impact system resources at all (other than maybe storage space required). The only part that is relevant to GPU/CPU performance is what is being rendered on screen at any given moment. Everything else lies dormant on your drive until you get to that area, and it is loaded and rendered. From that perspective Starfield is the heaviest game I have ever seen, and delivers utterly unremarkable graphics in return.

There is simply no way around that. Again, 10 years old may be an exaggeration, but 5-8 certainly isn't. For the way it looks, it SHOULD be running way way lighter.

That doesn't mean the game isn't fun. It certainly is. Graphics isn't everything.

Last edited:
Back