Starfield

No HDR or Auto HDR on PC, HDR is broken on console, and the SDR color gamut is broken. On console, HDR works in the main menu and loading screens, but not the game itself. Elevated black level is a serious issue on both PC and console. This is retarded. I don't understand how this continues to be an issue in the industry.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi-C3PzKdsI

So on the fence on buying this game. I go back to playing the classic Elders Scrolls games from the 90's like Daggerfall, those were awesome. Then stopped for awhile and bought Oblivion when it came out, and that was cool with the wide open world and endless places to explore, but it got a bit boring, just wandering around all over. Then bought Skyrim and playing with Ultra graphics settings the game looked outstanding, but again, a lot of walking and going here and there, was cool and not cool if you know what I mean> Sometimes I felt lost or just aimlessly going any place. Both Oblivion and Skyrim I never played to the end, I felt kinda lost in both games, just wandering all over with no real point sometimes, and I just got burned out and left the game.

I have to say, for an Action RPG first person game, I might be looking forward to the CB2077 expansion this month, and not Starfield. But I also want to try Starfield, just on the fence.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
So on the fence on buying this game. I go back to playing the classic Elders Scrolls games from the 90's like Daggerfall, those were awesome. Then stopped for awhile and bought Oblivion when it came out, and that was cool with the wide open world and endless places to explore, but it got a bit boring, just wandering around all over. Then bought Skyrim and playing with Ultra graphics settings the game looked outstanding, but again, a lot of walking and going here and there, was cool and not cool if you know what I mean> Sometimes I felt lost or just aimlessly going any place. Both Oblivion and Skyrim I never played to the end, I felt kinda lost in both games, just wandering all over with no real point sometimes, and I just got burned out and left the game.

I have to say, for an Action RPG first person game, I might be looking forward to the CB2077 expansion this month, and not Starfield. But I also want to try Starfield, just on the fence.

Stay on the fence.

CB2077 expansion is going to be incredible. No doubt about it.

Auto hdr support is on Microsoft.

1693583039110.png

I'm debating on whether to buy right away or not too. I figure I will enjoy SF2 but may wait a couple of weeks and see what the modders do with it. I just finished JA3 couple of days ago. So looking for something new to play.

No HDR or Auto HDR on PC, HDR is broken on console, and the SDR color gamut is broken. On console, HDR works in the main menu and loading screens, but not the game itself. Elevated black level is a serious issue on both PC and console. This is retarded. I don't understand how this continues to be an issue in the industry.

Do you seriously not understand why this continues to be an issue? It continues to be an issue because consumers tolerate it.

AMD has a new driver out for Starfield 23 . 8 . 2

• Starfield™
    • Up to 16% increase in performance for Starfield @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.8.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 7900XTX GPU, versus the previous software driver version 23.8.1 RS-594
    • Up to 16% increase in performance for Starfield @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.8.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 7900XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 23.8.1 RS-595
  • AMD is working with the game developers of Starfield™ to resolve an intermittent driver timeout or visual corruption issue when Dynamic Resolution is set to 75-78% with certain ultra wide monitors. Users experiencing this issue should adjust the Dynamic Resolution option as a temporary workaround.
  • Factory Reset has been temporarily disabled as a precautionary measure while we address isolated installation issues that have been reported during PC upgrades. Users may use AMD Cleanup Utility as a temporary option.

Do you seriously not understand why this continues to be an issue? It continues to be an issue because consumers tolerate it.
I don't think tolerate is the right word. Average gamer does not care about these details. If they did there would be more high end video cards in the steam survey.
The people here are not the average gamer.

SDR gamut being broken shows this is drool on themselves level of developer incompetence

But shit devs ain't the problem in gaming apparently it's just stuff like VRAM

(problem is so widespread and bad now people would need to just stop buying games all total in general not just one title and that ain't happening)

For everyone in the thread saying they’re on the fence or wondering if they should buy it now or wait: Wait. This is still technically a pre-order period. Unless you are sure you want it then wait and see how things go. It’s a fun game but it’s only going to get better as time goes on. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a patch come prior to the real launch, or close after, that addresses some of the issues we’re seeing reported right now. I’m excited to get home tonight and play more, but I can’t recommend people pick it up right now unless they’re absolutely sure they want it.

I'm enjoying the game but would refund if I could.
Wait a few months for mods, patches, sale.
I just did the xbox live sub conversion to ultimate deal so I can definitely wait a bit for some fixes. Honestly this seems like the best deal along with just subbing to EA play pro for a month to play Jedi Survivor.

HDR (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG) has worked flawlessly for years with 4K Blu-ray and digital streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc...but when it comes to gaming, HDR is still a mess

Last edited:
HDR (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG) has worked flawlessly for years with 4K Blu-ray and digital streaming services like Netflix, Apple TV+ etc...but when it comes to gaming, HDR is still a mess

OK but they screwed up SDR too

Should we have just expected black and white/monochrome?

The more I read about the game the less desire I have to play it. I'll wait until they fix some of the major issues. At least get SDR looking right.

Tested the game out a bit because I was curious about performance. Only got to the character creation screen.

Game itself looks nice enough. Just wish the Bethesda character creation would evolve. The usual ugly mugs and bad hair.

How long until I get to a segment of game that actually stresses the GPU?

Tested the game out a bit because I was curious about performance. Only got to the character creation screen.

Game itself looks nice enough. Just wish the Bethesda character creation would evolve. The usual ugly mugs and bad hair.

How long until I get to a segment of game that actually stresses the GPU?
If it makes you feel better I am pleasantly surprised with how NPCs look in dialog.
The hardest fps dip I had so far was waking up and talking to the 2 miners at the start of the game.

HDR (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG) has worked flawlessly for years with 4K Blu-ray and digital streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc...but when it comes to gaming, HDR is still a mess

I wonder if HDR mastering is harder for games. Given how much of a problem it continues to be it really feels like there are more challenges with games over movies and tv shows.

I'm not going to lie. HDR is a complete non-issue for me. I never use it.

I don't really like HDR.
I have a cheap chinese 1440p monitor that either lets me do 165hz sdr or 144hz hdr and honestly i just leave it 165 and sdr. never really noticed much difference to me anyways. Usually just feels like overblown colors.

I wonder if HDR mastering is harder for games. Given how much of a problem it continues to be it really feels like there are more challenges with games over movies and tv shows.

A lot/most games/game engines have been rendering 10bit color since DX10 days - that's not all there is to HDR but it's about 50% so to speak - that's what allows AutoHDR to work on older games cause it has so much already done/to work with already

Back