Starfield

I've been on Reddit for like 15 years and I've never seen a single topic spammed so much.
I just wanna read Starfield posts jfc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/search/?q=amd&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&t=all

Sorry had to vent.

Any discussion around Starfield is insanely toxic right now. It’s fucking ridiculous. Between the Xbox fanboys hyping the game as if it’s the next coming of Christ to the Sony fanboys trying to paint it as the Antichrist. It’s all so damn stupid. Console war nonsense has existed for a long time but I don’t remember anything being this crazy. Reviewers deciding to break NDA and leak shit haven’t helped either, they’ve just been feeding the fire (likely intentionally). No matter how the game turns out it’s going to be a mess. It will be nearly impossible to find honest conversations about the game outside of niche places where there aren’t as many idiots.

Any discussion around Starfield is insanely toxic right now. It’s fucking ridiculous. Between the Xbox fanboys hyping the game as if it’s the next coming of Christ to the Sony fanboys trying to paint it as the Antichrist. It’s all so damn stupid. Console war nonsense has existed for a long time but I don’t remember anything being this crazy. Reviewers deciding to break NDA and leak shit haven’t helped either, they’ve just been feeding the fire (likely intentionally). No matter how the game turns out it’s going to be a mess. It will be nearly impossible to find honest conversations about the game outside of niche places where there aren’t as many idiots.
Further proof that the internet is basically a giant toilet

That's so dumb. Doesn't sony have way more exclusives than the xbox anyway? Nothing new here I guess.

To be fair, those Xbox Fans needed a win for awhile now. I'm sure the PS Fans were hyping up their exclusives at launch too.

OIP.jpg

I'm guessing review scores will be in the 90- 95 range...not quite Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3 or Tears of the Kingdom range

I too, Pre-Ordered Starfield! (Premium Editon) but there's hope for all who may have this problem of ordering before you should!
If you have the urge to buy a game before it comes out or seem to be succumbing to hype, then there's this pill that may be of help:
1693496606478.png

Take a few pills whenever you get an urge to order before a game officially comes out, and it will save your wallet!

reviews are trending lower than expected...definitely did not match the pre-release hype
This is why you shouldn't buy into the hype, but the low scores are not the norm. IGN editor's are salty PlayStation fanboys and PC Gamer hates everything that is popular so they get more traffic. Not saying that it's the second coming of Morrowind, but to just keep biases in mind.

https://opencritic.com/game/14907/starfield
1693498689772.png

This is why you shouldn't buy into the hype, but the low scores are not the norm. IGN editor's are salty PlayStation fanboys and PC Gamer hates everything that is popular so they get more traffic. Not saying that it's the second coming of DOOM, but to just keep biases in mind

I'm hearing performance isn't all that great either on PC...

Starfield PC performance: best settings, FSR 2, benchmarks, and more

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starfield-pc-performance-best-settings-fsr-2/

Last edited:
This is why you shouldn't buy into the hype, but the low scores are not the norm. IGN editor's are salty PlayStation fanboys and PC Gamer hates everything that is popular so they get more traffic. Not saying that it's the second coming of Morrowind, but to just keep biases in mind.

https://opencritic.com/game/14907/starfield
View attachment 595169
I never thought PC gamer hated everything popular, thought they were not very contrarian actually. Quick look: BG3, 96, Armored core 87, D4 85.

‘Starfield’ Review (PC): It Is What You Wanted It To Be

The shooting itself feels solid, easily the best in any Bethesda Game Studios title. It’s certainly not Call of Duty or Destiny, but I’d probably rank its gunplay above the recent Cyberpunk 2077...There are star systems that aren’t on the map. There are planets with POIs that only appear when scanned. At a certain point, after the campaign and most side missions are done, you really just craft your own goals...The standout companion is Sam Coe, an ex-Freestar Ranger and space cowboy voiced by someone you should recognize immediately, Elias Toufexis, Adam Jensen of Deus Ex

There are annoyances that will crop up, certainly, breaking immersion with the all good parts. The game’s oxygen system is terrible, the worst kind of sprint recovery system you can imagine. Upgrading it makes it mildly less terrible but it takes forever to even do that. Eighty hours in I have not even hit the requirement for getting to the final rank of oxygen upgrades.

But to answer the famous “planet boundaries” question, no, it’s not a big deal, given that you have to walk 40 minutes in one direction to hit it, something you will never, ever need or want to do. I never hit an invisible wall in my entire playtime, and chances are you won’t either

Starfield excels at the things Bethesda usually excels at; sprawling worlds which you can exist in for anywhere from 50 to 500 hours or more. Multiple ways to take on missions, unforeseen effects of your choices that circle back around in ways you don’t expect. It is also sometimes weak at the things Bethesda is weak at. Character modeling, while improved, still feels very dated. And the main story is…questionable, with the best stories being many of the side quests or even just random things that happen to you in the world

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-is-what-you-wanted-it-to-be/?sh=175e74442d89

Game sounds pretty good based on the overall reviews. Hopefully within a month or so, it'll be in a good state with official patches to fix stuff like maps and inventory.

Long/short: I think we are all getting the idea that this game is very good. Time will tell if it goes past that. It's not revolutionary and it's not going to reinvent the wheel. This isn't even day one. It's Bethesda formula with No Man's Sky and better combat. Good enough for me. I'm sure several hundred hours of my free time will disappear just like every Bethesda game I've played before this.

I'm itching to dive in.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see what kind of frames I'll get at 4K on a 13900KS and 4090. Looks like a 4080 is getting below 60fps on 4K.

... because of contractual obligations to AMD, by all accounts.
Nope, AMD has said they never once said they couldn't add in DLSS. But they needed to concentrate on FSR first. Now DLSS is superior no doubt about it. But, I think Bethesda needed to get this game out ASAP to make MSFT happy.

Look at The Last of Us Remake on PC. It was an AMD sponsored game, but had DLSS on launch. So, its on the developers to add it in.

Nope, AMD has said they never once said they couldn't add in DLSS. But they needed to concentrate on FSR first. Now DLSS is superior no doubt about it. But, I think Bethesda needed to get this game out ASAP to make MSFT happy.

Look at The Last of Us Remake on PC. It was an AMD sponsored game, but had DLSS on launch. So, its on the developers to add it in.
People will still make excuses. Now it'll be something like "AMD probably gives more money to not work on DLSS".

Game will still probably sell like crazy, further reinforcing that no, most people don't care about DLSS or ray tracing to enjoy a game.

People will still make excuses. Now it'll be something like "AMD probably gives more money to not work on DLSS".

Game will still probably sell like crazy, further reinforcing that no, most people don't care about DLSS or ray tracing to enjoy a game.
Exactly this. Don't get me wrong I wish DLSS was in the game. But, thats on Bethesda not AMD. There is plenty of evidence that shows AMD sponsored games come with DLSS on launch.

Many reviews out there, and they are all across the board.

Very few seem to tackle performance. I found this one though:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starfield-pc-performance-best-settings-fsr-2/

Based on 4080 and 7900xtx numbers it seems like a 4090 should be able to maintain ~65-70 fps at 4k without scaling in the busiest areas of New Atlantic City. Framerate should be better elsewhere. So it is pretty heavy on the system requirements, but manageable.

Also, as with all titles, I imagine both the game and drivers will improve things as they are patched over time.

Question for those of you who have access (if any, I haven't paid attention to launch dates and early access promotions)

Does the game just launch out of Steam, or does it install some sort of stupid Bethesda launcher and require an always online account for a single player game?

Question for those of you who have access (if any, I haven't paid attention to launch dates and early access promotions)

Does the game just launch out of Steam, or does it install some sort of stupid Bethesda launcher and require an always online account for a single player game?
The Bethesda Launcher was discontinued last year. Game isn't out until 5pm PST today.

I have watch quite a few reviews. Did anyone see them mention that HDR was supported?

Back