Starfield

gameplay is always most important...but graphics can make a game even better...it's about immersion...gameplay + graphics= gaming nirvana...Cyberpunk 2077 path-traced, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Dying Light 2 etc...those are all RT showcases which improved upon the gameplay
I could care less if it has RT. Now would I like it in the game? Of course!! But I would rather have a stable game with good FPS performance out of the gate. Starfield to me will be like Skyrim, I will play the game 4-5 times over a 10 year span because of MODS.

Rather not have a developer waste time to try to rush RT into a game. Specially considering this is bugthesda we are talking about here.

gameplay is always most important...but graphics can make a game even better...it's about immersion...gameplay + graphics= gaming nirvana...Cyberpunk 2077 path-traced, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Dying Light 2 etc...those are all RT showcases which improved upon the gameplay

Yeah, but raytracing rarely results in better graphics. It just looks like obvious effects for the sake of effects. Sort of like how 10-15 years ago when suddenly everything was supposed to have fake lens flares, and depth of field and motion blur. There was a reason we all disabled that shit (and still do!)

It can make things different, but I'd argue it doesn't necessarily make them better.

Last edited:
Disappointing.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/starfield-overtakes-baldurs-gate-3-in-steam-top-sellers/

It's a top seller based entirely on pre-orders.

These morons never learn.

I mean, it sounds like Bethesda is trying to do a solid launch, and actually taking their time, but still, never ever never pre-order a game. I don't care how excited you are, or certain you are to buy it after launch.

Just don't do it!
Hey some of us morons are in this thread.

Rather not have a developer waste time to try to rush RT into a game. Specially considering this is bugthesda we are talking about here.

it's not like games all of a sudden became buggy because of ray-tracing...bugs and performance issues have been around since the dawn of gaming

Yeah, but raytracing rarely results in better graphics. It just looks like obvious effects for the sake of effects. Sort of like how 10-15 years ago when suddenly everything was supposed to have fake lens flares, and depth of field and motion blur. There was a reason we all disabled that shit (and still do!)

I t can make things different, but I'd argue it doesn't necessarily make them better.

it's about immersion...RT global illumination, reflections, shadows, AO all add to the overall immersion of the game and games are about transporting you to another world...light bouncing accurately off the ground, proper shadows, water reflections etc...these are all things that can transform a game visually

Sorry you are offended, but no pre-orders is pretty much the universal take around here, and most other tech/game communities.
Im not sure about that. Do you know how many people pre-ordered BG3 before its release? To me in this day and age, you will always find people who will fit your agenda and you can go off of that to prove you are right.

it's not like games all of a sudden became buggy because of ray-tracing...bugs and performance issues have been around since the dawn of gaming
If they try to rush a feature it can. How many games had rushed RT support where it ran like dog shit on either company GPU's.....

just my 0.02c

If they try to rush a feature it can. How many games had rushed RT support where it ran like dog shit on either company GPU's.....

just my 0.02c

I'm no defender of RT, but to be fair, you try to rush anything and it causes problems. This is not the fault of RT. It's the fault of rushing.

And there are plenty of other things in game development that can be rushed, even if RT is not in the cards.

I'm no defender of RT, but to be fair, you try to rush anything and it causes problems. This is not the fault of RT. It's the fault of rushing.

And there are plenty of other things in game development that can be rushed, even if RT is not in the cards.
Exactly! Which is why I stated I would rather them take the time to implement RT. Just like I think they should take time to implement DLSS with the latest version of it. Hell lets add in direct-storage as well.

I am all for features for new titles. But I would rather then have a good stable game then have it rushed badly.

All I want/wish-for, is that I can play the game at Medium Preset/1080p/FSR2 with a somewhat-steady 50 fps using rig in sig....

That, is the dream anyways 🤞

We shall see....

Thankfully my monitor has a G-Sync range of 30-144 (unlike most that have 48-whatever)

All I want/wish-for, is that I can play the game at Medium Preset/1080p/FSR2 with a somewhat-steady 50 fps using rig in sig....

We shall see....
Yeah thats possible, although that 1080 is pretty low-end by todays standards. Heck the RX 7600 and RTX 4600 are probably faster than a 1080 GTX. For 1080p I would think you would be ok.

I'm just hoping there's no stutter. I don't even care if it's one of those games where the best of the best hardware can't max things out. I just want a smooth experience with clearly defined graphical settings.

Sorry you are offended, but no pre-orders is pretty much the universal take around here, and most other tech/game communities.
I’m not offended just letting you know your ignorance is calling out a few people in this thread, that’s all. I can do a simple risk/reward analysis when purchasing games and decide if it’s worth it to preorder or not.

Disappointing.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/starfield-overtakes-baldurs-gate-3-in-steam-top-sellers/

It's a top seller based entirely on pre-orders.

These morons never learn.

I mean, it sounds like Bethesda is trying to do a solid launch, and actually taking their time, but still, never ever never pre-order a game. I don't care how excited you are, or certain you are to buy it after launch.

Just don't do it!
I all of a sudden have this urge to pre-order more.

don't believe everything you read online...AMD is not going to run out of codes...everyone that registered will get a copy
Fine print.

Campaign Period: Campaign Period begins July 11, 2023, at 9:00:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) and
ends on September 30, 2023, at 11:59:59 PM ET, or when supply of Coupon Codes is exhausted

Fine print.

Campaign Period: Campaign Period begins July 11, 2023, at 9:00:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) and
ends on September 30, 2023, at 11:59:59 PM ET, or when supply of Coupon Codes is exhausted

I highly doubt they ran out of codes 1 month before the end of the promo period and 1 week before the actual game comes out (Early Access)

While I understand why people take that hard stance, I’ve personally never lived by it. I’ve almost never regretted a pre-order. I tend to pretty carefully analyze things before popping down money on game, this doesn’t change whether it’s something I’m spending $5 on or if it’s a full price pre-order. I don’t think people absolutely need to say no pre-orders ever, they just need to be careful not to get caught in the hype and ignore red flags. I like having a pre-order on a game so I can either get home and play it right away after work (if it’s a digital game) or pick it up on the way home (for physical console games).

I sometimes play games with ray tracing. It doesn’t bother me if Starfield doesn’t have it, some intrepid modders will add it eventually. My PC is exactly what is recommended for playing Starfield in 4K.

We shall see....

Thankfully my monitor has a G-Sync range of 30-144 (unlike most that have 48-whatever)
I'm in the same boat as you. Clinging to my 1080 for dear life :ROFLMAO:

While I understand why people take that hard stance, I’ve personally never lived by it. I’ve almost never regretted a pre-order. I tend to pretty carefully analyze things before popping down money on game, this doesn’t change whether it’s something I’m spending $5 on or if it’s a full price pre-order. I don’t think people absolutely need to say no pre-orders ever, they just need to be careful not to get caught in the hype and ignore red flags. I like having a pre-order on a game so I can either get home and play it right away after work (if it’s a digital game) or pick it up on the way home (for physical console games).

To me the assessment is one of balancing risk vs reward. The risk is if you buy a pre-order, and the game turns out to be shitty, you lose some money. The second risk is that you incentivize poor behavior in the industry. The reward is... Well.. What is the reward? We are talking digital sales. There are no units to run out of. If you see something you like on day one, you can still buy it on day one, and play it just like you could if you pre-ordered.

So even a small risk - when balanced against zero reward - seems like a too large risk.

If you had pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077, you might have wished you had waited.

If you had pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077, you might have wished you had waited.

Steam (and all the other digital storefronts) refund policy takes away a lot of the risk...I'm not advocating pre-ordering games as I rarely do (From Software games are the exception as their quality is unmatched)

Welp, looks like my paltry 3060 Ti probably can't handle 1440p medium. I need 60 fps minimum. 40s make me ill real quick. 50s take longer, but eventually :depressed:.
Might have to pick up a 7800 XT on release if that's even possible.
Swap out the 3900x for a 5000 series and you should be ok. (+10-15 fps)

I got shafted on the free game when I bought my 7800x3d. They had the Jedi Survivor at the time I bought, then by the time they actually sent me the code it was expired when I went to redeem it. I wasn't really all that interested in it anyway so oh well. But then right after that they added this game just to salt the wound. :sour:

I think a lot of gamers are expecting this game to be the second coming, which is asking for disappointment
Lol yea. I don't even plan on buying Starfield until the modding tools are out. I wasn't too happy with Fallout 4 so my expectations are low.

Swap out the 3900x for a 5000 series and you should be ok. (+10-15 fps)

I can't imagine a high end Zen2 chip can't maintain a good 60-90fps, which ought to be good enough for anyone. I'd be more concerned about GPU on most modern single player titles.

I think a lot of gamers are expecting this game to be the second coming, which is asking for disappointment

Yep.

You want some hype to sell a product, but you don't want too much hype, as nothing can live up to that.

As we all know, the key to happiness is having low expectations.

It is my conviction that this is why Half Life 3 (or at least Half Life 2 Episode 3 to wrap up the story arc) never happened.

Lol yea. I don't even plan on buying Starfield until the modding tools are out. I wasn't too happy with Fallout 4 so my expectations are low.

I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Fallout 4 more than I did New Vegas.

New Vegas wasn't bad. At this point it is a thoroughly enjoyable classic, but if I am honest, by about 65 hours or so in, I started getting tired of being a desert errand boy, and decided to wrap up the story line and finish it.

With Fallout 4, I didn't have this issue. I put 120+ hours into it, and when I finished the final story, I kept wishing there was more.

I've bought it. No one but idiots and grifters (influencers) expect the second coming.

I got it because it will be more bethesda game, I've put thousands of hours into their titles. I play em from the start, then revisit over time with mods, this will be no different.

That is the reality of many Bethesda fans, we know its broken, but we also know its a massive sandbox. Hell I love the jank of bethesda titles.

Back