Starfield

I just try and keep my cargo bays empty. This game forces junk on you way too often. No matter how many times I clean out the damn cargo bay I end up with hundreds of dumbells, coffee cups and other bullshit I'd never loot. Very annoying.
Because every time you either modify your ship (in ANY way) or sell a ship, all of the "junk" in the modules on those ships gets dumped into your cargo. And then, in the case of modifying your ship, the "junk" eventually respawns and it just keeps happening. Technically it's free/unlimited credits (though not many), but it's annoying AF to have to clear out constantly. StarUI has a "Sell all of specific category" feature which can help with this. Just don't use that if you want to keep certain items, like plushies or whatnot.

Can anyone chime in on what their preferred HDR mod for this game is?

I just got a more capable HDR screen and want to give it a whirl this evening. I did a brief google, but there were so many different options I started getting a headache.

So I did some more searching and settled on this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1844

Pain in the ass to install all 6 components and enable them (especially since I had other versions of the same components installe3d for my DLSS mod already) but once set up, it appears to work nicely.

Notworthy is that in this mod scHDR gives you better results than HDR10, but scHDR also breaks frame generation. I don't use frame generation, but those who do might want to use HDR10 instead.

At first I thought it had sabotaged performance, but it turns out the install process just reset my DLSS to 100% scaling, which I corrected.

I'm having a hard time getting used to HDR. Sometimes it it looks bloody amazing, but other times UI elements are just uncomfortably bright. I'm not yet sure if this is just "me having a tough time getting used to HDR" or a problem with this particular implementation.

I liked it better with the "OLED Pixel Brightness" turned down from 100 to the mid 60's. I still got some of that HDR pop without the bothersome bright UI elements.

That's pretty cool. If/when I do NG I'll definitely use a mod like this, the current system is just bonkers tedious.

There's also this mod, which seems pretty nice as well: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/5039

Ideally, Quantum Essence would be like points to put into upgrading powers, but the actual use for them is just stupid and I've literally never used one.
I'm "spending" Essences to permanently increase my power regen by 1% each. No mod, just using the console.
For their original use, I used 3 at the Buried Temple for the boss fights. Spamming void form in stealth is very nice.

I just try and keep my cargo bays empty. This game forces junk on you way too often. No matter how many times I clean out the damn cargo bay I end up with hundreds of dumbells, coffee cups and other bullshit I'd never loot. Very annoying.
That's because each time you modify your home ship every item that is laying around in the habs gets moved to the cargo bay. I assume the same thing happens when you switch home ship.

Played a whole two hours today the game leaves you in suspense it's good. Like something is missing the entire time your playing. I usually save and quit right before the next NPC I have to talk to. I have no idea if the skill points I'm investing in are worth it. I invested one point for mining on flat surfaces or objects. Hoping I can extract Iron now from walks?

Have almost 7 hours in

So I did some more searching and settled on this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1844

Pain in the ass to install all 6 components and enable them (especially since I had other versions of the same components installe3d for my DLSS mod already) but once set up, it appears to work nicely.

Notworthy is that in this mod scHDR gives you better results than HDR10, but scHDR also breaks frame generation. I don't use frame generation, but those who do might want to use HDR10 instead.

At first I thought it had sabotaged performance, but it turns out the install process just reset my DLSS to 100% scaling, which I corrected.

I'm having a hard time getting used to HDR. Sometimes it it looks bloody amazing, but other times UI elements are just uncomfortably bright. I'm not yet sure if this is just "me having a tough time getting used to HDR" or a problem with this particular implementation.

I liked it better with the "OLED Pixel Brightness" turned down from 100 to the mid 60's. I still got some of that HDR pop without the bothersome bright UI elements.
Just use Auto HDR in Windows.

20231011070743_1.jpg
Just got past the Mines on Mars part and the attack on New Atlantis game opens up finally have a Jetpack basically the best part in the game so far.

That's because each time you modify your home ship every item that is laying around in the habs gets moved to the cargo bay. I assume the same thing happens when you switch home ship.
I know the mechanism that causes the game to do this. It's just a fucking annoying and stupid design. It's busy work that shouldn't exist and its not a fun aspect of the game.

View: https://youtu.be/DzAM33_0Quk?si=raBC3rKpld-EcQtb

This is what I was looking for character is weighed down by lead.

I've just been dumping all of my excess resources in the safe in the room in the Lodge, as it has infinite storage.

That said, I've probably been wasting my time, as 135 hours later I've never used a resource of any kind, and I'm rapidly closing in on finishing all the story quests, and will likely never play an NG+ game.

...and I hear you lose everything in NG+ anyway

I know the mechanism that causes the game to do this. It's just a fucking annoying and stupid design. It's busy work that shouldn't exist and its not a fun aspect of the game.

Honestly, it would be more realistic if when you switched ships, all of your stuff stayed in the cargo hold of the ship you switched from, unless you intentionally transferred it. There could even be an "easy transfer" option to transfer stuff between ships in spaceports.

Honestly, it would be more realistic if when you switched ships, all of your stuff stayed in the cargo hold of the ship you switched from, unless you intentionally transferred it. There could even be an "easy transfer" option to transfer stuff between ships in spaceports.
It's just busy work and extremely annoying because these things respawn and keep increasing in number while in your cargo bay. I mess with my ship all the time and have to deal with this nonsense constantly. I don't know if the mods will work in my case. I've modded the game somewhat but the Game Pass version isn't compatible with things like SFSE or other ASI loaders which are required for many mods.

The issue is not this, but that most vendors are restricted to 5000 credits or less, so you can't get rid of anything easily. It's so hard to sell stuff that I've completely stopped looting anything but ammo, outside of epic and legendary items. But even those are just sitting in the cargo hold.

I think they had to have some difficulty to it, sadly most of the time the reward isn't worth the time investment.
Thing is master isn't even difficult, it's just tedious. Once you understand that every layer has 2 keys total that will solve them it becomes incredibly easy to do. Think I've had 1 master where I had to undo once.

I'm not sure it was intentional so much as they were too lazy to make it work correctly. I doubt their intention was to have your ship "junk" items duplicate every time you make a change to your ship (even if you don't change any Hab modules).

That said, I've probably been wasting my time, as 135 hours later I've never used a resource of any kind, and I'm rapidly closing in on finishing all the story quests, and will likely never play an NG+ game.
Sounds like you haven't been doing any research, crafting or outposts, those are what you end up pouring a lot of resources into.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
The issue is not this, but that most vendors are restricted to 5000 credits or less, so you can't get rid of anything easily. It's so hard to sell stuff that I've completely stopped looting anything but ammo, outside of epic and legendary items. But even those are just sitting in the cargo hold.
I loot credits, ammo and legendary items only. I don't bother with the epics anymore.

Sounds like you haven't been doing any research, crafting or outposts, those are what you end up pouring a lot of resources into.

That would be accurate.

I just haven't found any need for them.

I wish they had built them in as more necessary parts of the game. Outposts seem to have little to no purpose. The only reason for them to exist being to get resources to build more outposts.

I did do some basic research levels in the lodge from my lodge safe storage (which annoyingly enough does not auto-transfer materials, so I had to go back and forth and get what I needed) but only the first level of like three categories, and then I've barely used the output in any modding.

The game is balanced wrong to make modding/research relevant. I can get all the good weapons I need by just looting, so why waste time modding? I can get all the money I need by just looting, selling loot and rewards for completing missions. At this point I have like $875k in the bank in game and nothing I want to do with it, because I already have all the ship parts, weapons and armor I need.

If they had made the game harder, making health supplies rare (so you have to craft to get them) or making good weapons and space suits rare (so you have to craft to get them) I probably would have done it, but as it is, even playing on "very hard" as I am, this has been completely unnecessary.

It's kind of a waste actually. They should have balanced the game better in order to make this stuff necessary for success, because just doing it for the sake of doing it is no fun. That's just going through the motions, and is not why I play games.

I loot credits, ammo and legendary items only. I don't bother with the epics anymore.

Agreed. I wish the stores had more cash to buy stuff. Especially the Trade Authority. I can't always return and sell everything in one go.

Instead I I just fly around with any excess I can't sell in the ship cargo, and whenever I happen to be near a store sell some off. You can also trade with friendly ships you encounter.

This way I see it as less of a "need to dump everything right away" and more of a "dump it over time" thing.

Of course, play how you like but I'm going to disagree with some of this.
That would be accurate.

I just haven't found any need for them.

I wish they had built them in as more necessary parts of the game. Outposts seem to have little to no purpose. The only reason for them to exist being to get resources to build more outposts.
Yes and no. While outposts certainly aren't needed, they can add a quality of life to the gameplay experience if utilized correctly. One of the things they offer is the ability to mod your ship more easily than you can normally. The ship technicians and star yards typically only have a couple of brands of parts available to choose from for the most part. This means that you have to fly all over the damn galaxy to utilize all the different manufacturer's parts on your ships. The shipyard at the outpost is bar none a huge quality of life improvement as most things are available all in one place.

Not to mention, you can give yourself a ton of storage at an outpost and worry less about cargo space aboard your ship. Cargo capacity, above all else will increase your ship's mass and lower its performance.
I did do some basic research levels in the lodge from my lodge safe storage (which annoyingly enough does not auto-transfer materials, so I had to go back and forth and get what I needed) but only the first level of like three categories, and then I've barely used the output in any modding.
This is what I'm talking about. Crafting aboard your ship or an outpost is a far better experience than that. You will not have as much back and fourth doing so in those locations when setup properly.
The game is balanced wrong to make modding/research relevant. I can get all the good weapons I need by just looting, so why waste time modding?
I disagree. The enemies are often very bullet spongey. Aside from luck of the draw on legendary weapons or some very specific quest rewards there is a lot to be gained by modifying your weapons which takes resources to accomplish. Plus, you can greatly enhance the look and feel of some weapons through modifying them at the workbench. In some cases you can drastically improve their performance.
I can get all the money I need by just looting, selling loot and rewards for completing missions. At this point I have like $875k in the bank in game and nothing I want to do with it, because I already have all the ship parts, weapons and armor I need.
I can't even build a ship for that. I've spent over 22.5 million credits at the ship vendor so far. I've developed several designs and variants of those designs at the ship builder. To build my current ship costs 2.2 million by itself.
If they had made the game harder, making health supplies rare (so you have to craft to get them) or making good weapons and space suits rare (so you have to craft to get them) I probably would have done it, but as it is, even playing on "very hard" as I am, this has been completely unnecessary.
The game isn't that difficult, I'll grant you that. However, you can greatly improve your gear by modding. This includes the space suits. Night and day difference in capability and even quality of life stuff in doing so.
It's kind of a waste actually. They should have balanced the game better in order to make this stuff necessary for success, because just doing it for the sake of doing it is no fun. That's just going through the motions, and is not why I play games.
Again, I disagree. I enjoy ship building, modifying weapons and to a lesser extent outpost building. I'm starting to enjoy the latter, though admittedly the interface is dogshit for that. Again, there are things you can benefit from by using these systems. Those systems have greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the game. If I just did the quests and nothing else, I'd be bored of the game by now.

Vendors carry enough resources to obsolete outpost mining. You earn enough credits to just buy it all.
They should have left gear dismantling in the game and cut back on vendors.

I can't even name most of the resources or how to get them. Just the ores and the stuff from the Industrial workbench.

On my current playthrough I am using an INI edit that disables vendor restock and sets my sell values to 0. Need a mod that totally wipes vendor inventories blank (and no selling) to really make the game a challenge.

God they went way overboard with Master locks. Absolutely insane.

I think they had to have some difficulty to it, sadly most of the time the reward isn't worth the time investment.
Once you understand how the mechanics of the locks work, I don't think these are all that difficult. Initially I was very frustrated with them and didn't understand them but once I figured them out I don't bother with mods or anything to remove them. They are easy, albeit somewhat time consuming. The real problem is that for your efforts, you are very rarely rewarded with anything worth the time. The juice isn't worth the squeeze 95% of the time. I've unlocked "Master" and "Expert" locks just to find an empty case. You don't even get vendor trash you can sell for your effort and that's bullshit.

I rarely bother anymore. If I see there is a lock beyond novice, I don't bother. I can't recall ever going through the hassle of picking the lock and being glad I spent the time on it because I got something really good out of it.

Once you understand how the mechanics of the locks work, I don't think these are all that difficult. Initially I was very frustrated with them and didn't understand them but once I figured them out I don't bother with mods or anything to remove them. They are easy, albeit somewhat time consuming. The real problem is that for your efforts, you are very rarely rewarded with anything worth the time. The juice isn't worth the squeeze 95% of the time. I've unlocked "Master" and "Expert" locks just to find an empty case. You don't even get vendor trash you can sell for your effort and that's bullshit.

I rarely bother anymore. If I see there is a lock beyond novice, I don't bother. I can't recall ever going through the hassle of picking the lock and being glad I spent the time on it because I got something really good out of it.
I'm basically at that point too. I've got 800K or so in the bank and just find myself skipping stuff that requires the harder lock picking. I should note that the reason I have that cash is because I haven't done settlements nor bothered with ship building. Maybe in a future replay I'll mess around with that stuff.

I'm basically at that point too. I've got 800K or so in the bank and just find myself skipping stuff that requires the harder lock picking. I should note that the reason I have that cash is because I haven't done settlements nor bothered with ship building. Maybe in a future replay I'll mess around with that stuff.

I've done some ship modding/upgrading but I haven't done any from scratch ship building either.

I'm still flying around in a much upgraded version of the "Damaged Ship" I salvaged like 10 hours into the game.

Engines, weapons, shield, reactor, cargo and even habs are all different, but it still looks mostly the same from the outside.

And with three PBO turrets and two PBO forward guns I can defeat just about anyhting I encounter.

Only exception was the Ecliptic Legendary Ship, but I tried several upgrades ago. I might be able to take it now, but it disappeared on me. The mission is still in my list, but showing it on a map doesn't work anymore, and If I go to the system manually it is nowhere to be found.

I guess there is either a time limit on those quests, or the game bugged on me somehow.

Last edited:
Having issues lockpicking?

To do this, you're going to need to acquire the manipulation skill, which can be done by working your way through the Ryujin Industries questline. During the 'Sabotage' mission in the questline, a doctor will grant you with the manipulation ability, which you'll be required to use a fair amount afterward.

Using it is simple, just bring up your scanner, hover over an NPC and hit 'E' to bring up the social skills, then select 'manipulation'. After you've manipulated the NPC, you can select objects for them to interact with. However, one thing the mission fails to mention is that you can actually manipulate the NPC to open locked safes for you.

https://www.dualshockers.com/starfield-manipulation-npc-trick/

Having issues lockpicking?

To do this, you're going to need to acquire the manipulation skill, which can be done by working your way through the Ryujin Industries questline. During the 'Sabotage' mission in the questline, a doctor will grant you with the manipulation ability, which you'll be required to use a fair amount afterward.

Using it is simple, just bring up your scanner, hover over an NPC and hit 'E' to bring up the social skills, then select 'manipulation'. After you've manipulated the NPC, you can select objects for them to interact with. However, one thing the mission fails to mention is that you can actually manipulate the NPC to open locked safes for you.

https://www.dualshockers.com/starfield-manipulation-npc-trick/

Without any spoilers, how sketchy is the Ryujin Industries questline? Is it possible to play through as a "good guy"?

I'm pretty close to finishing the main story lines, have completed the UC storyline (including the undercover work with the Red Fleet), and am working my way through the Firefly quest line, Sorry Cowboy Bebop Quest line, sorry, Freestar Ranger quest line, and I am trying to decide if I want to take on the Ryujin Industries quest.

Trying to figure out if I want to do Ryujin before finishing the main quests....

Without any spoilers, how sketchy is the Ryujin Industries questline? Is it possible to play through as a "good guy"?
Yes and no. You have to do some fairly sketchy things to get through it but you can get through it without killing or doing anything really immoral. You take down some bad guys and can even lobby to have very questionable technology kept off the market. It's mostly industrial espionage type stuff.

I think the Ryuiin questline is by far the best out of all faction quests. Lots of really tough stealth missions, if you actually want to be the good guy and do them without violence.

Back