Starfield: Let's see Your Ships!

Did they fix ship re-naming yet? I've been busy in Cyberpunk 2077 lately...

Most ships can be named whatever you want.

SOME ships that you salvage as derelicts wind up stuck with their original name for some odd reason.

It is a small minority of ships, but this has been the case for my favorite ship.

I have been playing most of this game flying around in "Damaged Ship" :p

I have not been able to change the name yet.

SOME ships that you salvage as derelicts wind up stuck with their original name for some odd reason.

It is a small minority of ships, but this has been the case for my favorite ship.

Same. But then I hit NG+ and well, don't need that anymore...

Sort of. The Razorleaf specifically retains its original identity as far as registration goes but you can call it whatever you like or change absolutely every part of the ship out with whatever and people will always recognize it as the Mantis's ship.

how long does it take for yeas to get something like these together? This a 20m job? spending a week?

how long does it take for yeas to get something like these together? This a 20m job? spending a week?
If you are asking how long to get the cash… Not too long. Money flows pretty freely in this game after the initial start. A single outpost can be a decent moneymaker. I also loot everything, but watch that value per mass when I get overburdened.

If you are asking how long to get the cash… Not too long. Money flows pretty freely in this game after the initial start. A single outpost can be a decent moneymaker. I also loot everything, but watch that value per mass when I get overburdened.
Naw, I meant using the ship creator thing. You guys are making some neat ships, just wondering how long it takes to put some of these together.

I’ve spent hours and hours screwing around in the ship builder and it’s one of the most enjoyable things in the game for me right now. Personally it’s easier to buy, capture or get a quest reward ship and then rebuild or upgrade it vs starting from scratch. However after doing that a while I feel that building one from scratch isn’t too challenging.

Naw, I meant using the ship creator thing. You guys are making some neat ships, just wondering how long it takes to put some of these together.

As mentioned, once you get used to the ship builder, you can throw together a ship quickly. For me, the Rocinante build took the longest, as I had a picture up trying to match it.

As mentioned, once you get used to the ship builder, you can throw together a ship quickly. For me, the Rocinante build took the longest, as I had a picture up trying to match it.
No kidding. I'm looking at some of these ships, and see it taking like a week of making everything line up and fir right.

No kidding. I'm looking at some of these ships, and see it taking like a week of making everything line up and fir right.

It doesn't. I can build a ship way larger than the game normally allows in just a couple hours.

1695996314243.png
1695996336961.png

I tried to base the design of the Daedalus from Stargate. I know I am limited by the game (No mod's yet to expand the size etc etc). Roast away people! But I love it!

I tried to base the design of the Daedalus from Stargate. I know I am limited by the game (No mod's yet to expand the size etc etc). Roast away people! But I love it!
If it makes you happy and is fun to fly, then who cares what people think?

View attachment 602091View attachment 602092
I too created a ship with the Daedalus from Stargate in mind. Mine requires mods to build though: (Believe it or not, this took me two hours to build last night.) There are six decks, a large brig, two armories, five private quarters, 4x bunk areas, a science lab, control center, computer core room, two large cargo bays, several store rooms, infirmary, living area, huge mess hall, 2x2 and a 3x1 engineering section, battle station room and some more stuff I'm probably forgetting. It's about 5,200 mass and carries over 8,200 mass of cargo. Some of that is shielded. It costs around 1.1 million credits to build. Hilariously this ship started out as a Rambler II.

It uses more than twice the amount of modules the game normally allows you to use. Believe it or not its short enough that it doesn't cause clipping issues with most landing sites. Although there are often posts or whatever that do clip through the engines or something way in the back here and there but nothing super obvious. There are places where its too long and the clipping is obvious. The landing pads were never designed for a ship of this size. There are some other influences in the design, but the Daedalus from Stargate was the main one. With the old Supernova engines on the back its a dead ringer for the Daedalus class from the back.

1696001675605.png

1696001728673.png

1696001807728.png

1696001857877.png

1696001925091.png

1696001997773.png

Last edited:
I too created a ship with the Daedalus from Stargate in mind. Mine requires mods to build though: (Believe it or not, this took me two hours to build last night.) There are six decks, a large brig, two armories, five private quarters, 4x bunk areas, a science lab, control center, computer core room, two large cargo bays, several store rooms, infirmary, living area, huge mess hall, 2x2 and a 3x1 engineering section, battle station room and some more stuff I'm probably forgetting. It's about 5,200 mass and carries over 8,200 mass of cargo. Some of that is shielded. It costs around 1.1 million credits to build. Believe it or not, this one started out as a Rambler II.

It uses more than twice the amount of modules the game normally allows you to use. Believe it or not its short enough that it doesn't cause clipping issues with most landing sites. Although there are often posts or whatever that do clip through the engines or something way in the back here and there but nothing super obvious. There are places where its too long and the clipping is obvious. The landing pads were never designed for a ship of this size. There are some other influences in the design, but the Daedalus from Stargate was the main one. With the old Supernova engines on the back its a dead ringer for the Daedalus class from the back.

View attachment 602117
View attachment 602118
View attachment 602119
View attachment 602120
View attachment 602121
View attachment 602122
Oh yeah thats way closer to the ship design. I should just mod the game to remove the limit. I was worried it was just clip into everything and not look right at all.

Did you use the mod that allows you to build a ship and have all the parts from every style of ships you can get?

I look forward to finding an actual use for the brig (hopefully some mod authors can do something). I captured a ship once and there was one of the enemies locked in the brig. Sadly, he got out somehow not long after I had started using it..

Oh yeah thats way closer to the ship design. I should just mod the game to remove the limit. I was worried it was just clip into everything and not look right at all.
To be clear, it does clip on a few landing sites. The Red Mile is really bad and its the worst example. There is minimal clipping on the very back of the ship on Neon and a couple other places but nothing obvious. The other place its kind of bad is Akila. The ship runs into the sign slightly. Most other places I can think of beyond some individual planetary landing sites are just fine.

You could further mitigate that by building the ship taller where the landing gear sit further from the ships hull and raise it up so that the longer parts of the ship pass over the stuff that it would normally clip into. With this design I haven't figured out a way to do that where it doesn't look like shit.

Here is a shot of the ship sitting on the landing pad on Neon.
1696005594899.png

Here is an example of the clipping:
1696005725873.png

Did you use the mod that allows you to build a ship and have all the parts from every style of ships you can get?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There is nothing stopping you from mixing and matching whatever you want. That being said, individual ship technicians only offer two or three brands of parts most of the time. There is nothing stopping you from flying around the galaxy and getting everything you want. That being said, you can always use the ship landing pad at your outposts to access almost everything. The only modules you can't access from there are the larger hab modules like the 2x2, 3x2, 2x3 and 3x3 ones. For those you have to go to the showrooms of a given manufacturer to get their larger modules. For example, you can only get the Deimos 2x2 engineering bay from the Deimos Star Yards. I did use a mod that allows me access to almost everything from any of the ship vendor/technicians.
I look forward to finding an actual use for the brig. I captured a ship once and there was one of the enemies locked in the brig. Sadly, he got out somehow not long after I had started using it..
I just have the brig because it looks cool and the ship was large enough to have one.

Last edited:
I primarily run two different styles of ship. Both are on the large side, but one is the "fast" one that's only just over the normal game size limit. The other is much larger than the game normally allows, but I tried to keep the length to a point where it would still work at most landing sites. This is the latest iteration of the larger ships. It has more than double the normal allowable modules and is not quite double the standard length limit. As you can see, its not maneuverable in the slightest but it doesn't need to be. The auto-turrets shred anything that comes close to the ship without me having to move it at all. With a ship part or two, you can tank and spank M-class ships.

It's still loosely based on the Odyssey class from Stargate but its also taken on Star Destroyer like styling queues here and there. Most notably, from the side it looks like one near the back end of the ship.

1696531463048.png

Last edited:
I thoght this could be a fun thread.

I'll start though mine is nothing special. I''m about 40 hours in, and at level 18.

I took the base of this ship from a random side quest where I was radioed for help, but by the time I boarded spacers had already killed off all the crew. I liked the ship, it was better than what I could build at the time so I kept it.

~80% of the ship is still the same, but I added some cargo space on each side, which weighed it down, so I needed to add thrust, which I achieved by adding some structural parts to fit two more engines in the back.

It's a mix of Deimos and Tayo parts, and Nova engines, and it seems to work aesthetically (though maybe not perfectly)

View attachment 597885
View attachment 597886

If it is not obvious, the inner two engines (the ones that are the furthest back) were not there on the ship that I seized. I initially moved the rear landing gear back, and added some structural filler in between to give them something to mount to. Then when I installed the C class reactor, I had to remove some of that structural filler to allow it to fit, as it was double the size of the old reactor.

I took the missile launcher off, because I can never seem to use it anyway, and figured I might as well save the weight. It never locks in time to be effective for me. Maybe once I level up my targeting skills and locks become quicker and at greater range I'll put one back in.

I was pretty excited to get the big Deimos bridge so early in game. I don't think you can actually install it until you have shipbuilder level 3. I still couldn't install it if I wanted to add it to a ship or build a new ship with it. Not sure it actually does anything of value, but it looks really nice.

I'm sure this is nothing compared to what some of you have built, but I am pretty happy with it. The base provided by the seized ship, albeit a little bit confusing on the inside at first allowed me to experiment with shipbuilding without having to learn all the hab modules from scratch.

It seems to have modules with all of the workbenches inside, though I've admittedly never used them.

I wanted to take screenshots from the ship builder, but for some reason, the steam overlay doesn't work in this game for me (May have to do with PureDarks DLSS mod)

I pulled a grandma, and took a pic with my phone of the specs:

View attachment 597888

The funny part is that certain ships seized during certain (but not all) side quests cannot be renamed, so I am stuck with this ship being named "Damaged Ship". I'm hoping they fix this bug at some point. I keep thinking I am going to trade up to a new ship (either bought or built) but then I blow all of my credits on the next upgrade instead, and never save enough, so this ship will probably be with me for a while.
I got that ship too it is bad ass i am now using the razorleaf mk2

Last edited:
i question the giant ships and the use of radiators and fins they add mass but dont contribute to mobility

i question the giant ships and the use of radiators and fins they add mass but dont contribute to mobility

Mobility is over rated. This is especially true if you are using turrets which target automatically and begin firing faster than you can line up manual guns on any 100 mobility ship. I think for larger ships, 60-70 mobility is plenty. Besides, if you can't have a cool looking ship then what's the point? Cargo capacity is also a much bigger increase to mass than most other things. You can have a fairly large ship and still get close to 100 mobility if you really want.

It's not really that much of an issue if you are working within the game's original ship building limits. If you mod the game to allow for larger ships, you really need to mod it to allow for more reactors, disable engine limits, etc. Then you can still keep reasonable ship performance. I've since done that after showing the specs of the larger ship. Now that same ship has 10 engines and a mobility of around 60.

Last edited:
With 10 ship slots, I keep a few full meta combat builds. Small, fast, armed to the tits. Pure performance

But since space combat is not super common, or overly hard, making cool looking ships is viable.

I have to say, the vendor unlocker mod is a game changer. I was so sick and tired of flying around to find parts that I said fuck it, and just got the mod. Now any vendor can carry all the parts.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
With 10 ship slots, I keep a few full meta combat builds. Small, fast, armed to the tits. Pure performance

But since space combat is not super common, or overly hard, making cool looking ships is viable.

I have to say, the vendor unlocker mod is a game changer. I was so sick and tired of flying around to find parts that I said fuck it, and just got the mod. Now any vendor can carry all the parts.
Any vendor except the Outpost builder, correct? I think I saw the mod but decided to skip it for now.

Any vendor except the Outpost builder, correct? I think I saw the mod but decided to skip it for now.
I've tried a few of the shipyard unlock bat files that allow you to access most parts at any vendor. It does not include the outpost ship builder as there is nothing to highlight to run the script against. There is one that can get started in the starfieldcustom.ini, but it's been flaky to say the least.

Also, the unlocks do apply to any non-quest related ship upgrades. The Comspec and Conduction Grid upgrades are specific to the ship technician at the Key and are no longer available after you complete the Crimson Fleet faction quest, unless you side with them over the UC. Also, some of the unlock scripts do not unlock the frequency jammers or shielded cargo holds.

it took me forever to realize this but akila city technician and atlantis city technician sell all the bulk parts of the companies located in their territory since they are the capital cities. akilla technician has taiyo, hopetech and shroud ecklan parts. new atlantis technician has nova galactic and deimos parts. special parts can be found elsewhere but if you're just doing a basic refurbish...

Going to post the final rendition of my modified dumb Mantis (before I started my NG+'s). I don't know where the better reactor is located so I just grabbed the best Class C I could find on New Atlantis and shoved it wherever it would fit. For the weapons, I added another set of particle weapons in. According to Reddit, they're some of the highest DPS weapons in the game. With bot W0 and W1 held down it melts almost anything. Shielding is decent as well, 1450. The engines are still the stock ones it came with, and then I just plopped on one more Class A engine (which is pointed right at the 3rd landing gear, but the game doesn't care). Turns out that using Class C engines limits your max speed. Cargo really doesn't matter because I just dump shit in a random room somewhere anyway. And yes, it has 3 landing gears. It's completely lopsided.
1697653669770.png

1697653822750.png

1697653871587.png

It was a great layout functionally. Flat ship designs are so much easier to use, and the cargo bay jutting out like that makes it so much easier to locate it no matter what planet you're on.

My latest ship. Inspired by the Imperial Star Destroyer of course and some of my earlier designs. It cost over 12.2 million credits to build. It is comprised of around 1,400 modules. It has 16 decks a full interior that runs the length of the ship and is for the most part deck by deck. The interior features a central ladder that spans all 16 decks. There are a couple more in the tower structure, but generally speaking you only use one ladder to reach any place on the ship.

Oh, and it does in fact have a mobility of 100. In case anyone was wondering, yes. The game has to be modded significantly to allow a ship like this to be built.

1697780520241.png

1697779846024.png

1697779974064.png

1697780126391.png

1697780251177.png

1697780332844.png

1697780207523.png

1697780017714.png

1697779761723.png
1697788965098.png

Last edited:
My latest ship. Inspired by the Imperial Star Destroyer of course and some of my earlier designs. It cost over 12.2 million credits to build. It is comprised of around 1,400 modules. It has 16 decks a full interior that runs the length of the ship and is for the most part deck by deck. The interior features a central ladder that spans all 16 decks. There are a couple more in the tower structure, but generally speaking you only use one ladder to reach any place on the ship.

Oh, and it does in fact have a mobility of 100. In case anyone was wondering, yes. The game has to be modded significantly to allow a ship like this to be built.

View attachment 607514

View attachment 607507
View attachment 607508
View attachment 607510
View attachment 607512
View attachment 607513
View attachment 607511

View attachment 607509

View attachment 607506View attachment 607523
That's bad ass Dan!

I may have found the game's limits for ship size. Here is my latest design. Its kind of a bigger version of the last one: The UC Vigilance as it turns out is 200m in length despite people claiming that its larger than that. This ship is somewhere between 220 and 240m. After 200m, the game no longer updates the ships length in the ship builder. To say this was unwieldy in the ship builder is an understatement. It has a full interior as well. The ship is 109m wide and has nearly 30,000 cargo capacity as well as hull and almost 100,000 shields. I've fired on the UC Vigilance and I can basically one shot its shields.

1698124000115.png

Here it is next to the UC Vigilance.
1698124034405.png

1698124051310.png

1698124115457.png

To maintain its mobility at 100, it needed 12 of these bad boys:
1698124357202.png

The bridge is the same design as the one on the previous ship which provides an easy size comparison. The other ship was 187m for reference. This ship is much wider and much longer. The game wouldn't even let me place anything else on the back or front to extend the length further.
1698124475224.png

Back