Starfield: Let's see Your Ships!

I find the habs always put the doors or ladders in the worst fucking spots.

1695369087782.png

1695369112014.png

More of mine.

Some cool looking ships here.
I tried making but it turned out trash lol. I'm only lvl 27 and I don't think I got everything unlocked.
I see people using parts that I don't have access to.

Got any tips on how to build ships? People using mods to add all parts to ship builder?

I tried making but it turned out trash lol. I'm only lvl 27 and I don't think I got everything unlocked.

Got any tips on how to build ships? People using mods to add all parts to ship builder?
You don't get access to everything until you are level 60.

Anything Babylon 5 derived yet?

The Narn cruisers look like they should be doable in Starfield.

There likely are mods that add things, but I haven't used them.
Different Ship technicians have access to different parts (New Atlantis is Deimos and Nova Galactic only, and only certain engine/storage/etc components), so you need to visit the different cities in order to see all of the different options. They want you to fly around/play the game and not just go to one place for everything.
Manufacturer showrooms are the ONLY place to find certain parts. Be sure to do the story up to Neon (or just go there in Volii) so you can find Stroud and Taiyo showrooms. You can also look around for the other Manufacturer showrooms/sales centers.
Build an outpost. At the outpost, build a landing pad with ship builder. The outpost Shipbuilder seems to have the most access to parts, compared to the Ship technicians. You still will not get the specialized vendor stuff, but it is a good starting point, and then you can go get the specific parts you want from their respective manufacturer locations.
New parts unlock as you level, but you may need a certain perk level to use them.

As far as ship building...
  • Mass dictates how much landing thrust you need, which relates to number of landing gear. If it keeps saying you need more landing gear, this is why.
  • The landing bay must connect to the cockpit, so look inside the bay and see where the door is, so that you can have Habs in the correct spot, as well so you can make sure that Hab is able to reach the cockpit. Certain Habs have A and B versions with different connectivity, which can cause issues here.
  • The Docker must be on an outside edge of the ship, so if you have parts that are further out, if it is along the edge, or higher if on top, it may throw errors. It seems this ignores structural items... usually. Also, you CAN "flip" the Docker so that it is on the bottom of the ship. It considers landing gear in their retracted positions when doing the "outside edge" calculation
  • Reactor class limits the max class of components you can use If your reactor is Class A, you will only be able to use Class A components. If reactor is Class C, then you can use Class A,B, and C.
  • Grav drive is limited to 30LY. Mass negatively affect the jump range, which can be offset by the higher tier grav drives. If you cannot jump someplace, try jumping someplace closer (and often a few times) to unlock the place. There seems to be a gating mechanism around discovery of systems, so that you cannot jump past systems not discovered. Fuel limits how many jumps you can do in a single go. Fuel tanks refill automatically after a grav jump, so you do not need to worry about refilling them. More simply, grav drive dictates length of jump, fuel limits how many of the jumps you can do before you have to stop and rest (i.e load the system and re-initiate a grav jump)
  • Engines provide both thrust and maneuverability (Mobility). They are also often specialized in how they connect, which can be really annoying. Max speed for smaller engines (Class A) is 150. Larger engines (Class C) you are maxed 130. You only get 12 pips for engine power (and any system), so keep that in mind and add up the power for each engine you are trying to add. Adding a bunch of engines can end up slowing you down as it takes more power to actually hit the speed, and your mobility was already maxed at 100.
  • I usually go with dedicated lasers, dedicated projectile (hull dmg), and then either EM (for my raiding ship) or particle turrets. Missiles are slow and just seem to be a waste to me. I see a lot of people that just do particle weapons, but you cannot do hull damage until you break shields, and the particle weapons usually have lower shield damage than an actual laser weapon because it is split across both hull and shields. I would rather get the shields down ASAP. # of pips influences recharge speed, so if short on power, i just limit power to the EM or third weapon). Also, ramming is a weapon, and if you have shields still up and your enemy does not, it can take them out quickly. Would not try if you still have multiple enemies around you, though.
  • The system tries to logically create a single path through your ship. If you try to create loops (i.e. branch off in the front, but come back together at the back) it will not work. There will be only 1 doorway, you can mess around to try to get it to create that doorway at the point you want it (i.e. front vs back of the loop), but even that gets frustrating.
  • Modifying your ship, repopulates all of the "misc." items, and different ships' misc items carry over when you change ships. If your ship's cargo is always full, check the ship's misc. Dumbbells are heavy. It will also repopulate over time, as well, so "Sell from Ship" often at vendors. Another much needed mod...
  • Just have fun with it, and don't waste too much of your time in it (like I have)....... It all goes away when you hit the end and start a NG+

the Sulaco is wayy bigger than the type of ships the player can make. also the ship modules lend themselves more to horizontal-oriented designs rather than vertical like the Sulaco's general appearance
Its a simple matter to remove those limits from the game. People have already made some pretty massive ships. Of course, it chokes your system building something that large in the editor and landing is an issue. (At least at Starports.)

That's a sharp looking ship. I like it.

I've never been able to make good practical use of those Nova 2000 engines. They offer a little more thrust than the 1000 series, but in exchange they weigh like twice as much, which negates their extra thrust, IMHO.

Whenever I attach them to my ship, the max speed goes down, so right now instead I am using 4x 1020's.

Last edited:
Dude, if I see this:

View attachment 600492

I think I might get the game.

Those many thin spikes might be difficult to accomplish with the provided building blocks, but someone might be able to pull off something close.

You have to work with the various ways of combining the structural parts the game offers. It's essentially legos, but if all the pieces were specialty pieces from those scale model kits. Then you get to combine them as you see fit.

Stealing or buying ships can get you access to modules you do not have unlocked yet. That said.... Yes, level up and play the game.

Yup. I salvaged a ship early on in the game that had the large Deimos bridge you can't other wise install unless you have really leveled up your character.

It doesn't really add any usefulness over smaller bridges, but it does look cool, and is nice and spaceous.

That's a sharp looking ship. I like it.

I've never been able to make good practical use of those Nova 2000 engines. They offer a little more thrust than the 1000 series, but in exchange they weigh like twice as much, which negates their extra thrust, IMHO.

Whenever I attach them to my ship, the max speed goes down, so right now instead I am using 4x 1020's.
Honestly, I don't really worry about it. I'm using one of the best reactors and shield generators in the game. I can win engagements against multiple hostile craft at once with automatic turrets. I don't need to move in order fight. I'm still at more than 70 mobility on that build anyway.

There likely are mods that add things, but I haven't used them.
Different Ship technicians have access to different parts (New Atlantis is Deimos and Nova Galactic only, and only certain engine/storage/etc components), so you need to visit the different cities in order to see all of the different options. They want you to fly around/play the game and not just go to one place for everything.
Manufacturer showrooms are the ONLY place to find certain parts. Be sure to do the story up to Neon (or just go there in Volii) so you can find Stroud and Taiyo showrooms. You can also look around for the other Manufacturer showrooms/sales centers.
Build an outpost. At the outpost, build a landing pad with ship builder. The outpost Shipbuilder seems to have the most access to parts, compared to the Ship technicians. You still will not get the specialized vendor stuff, but it is a good starting point, and then you can go get the specific parts you want from their respective manufacturer locations.
New parts unlock as you level, but you may need a certain perk level to use them.

As far as ship building...
  • Mass dictates how much landing thrust you need, which relates to number of landing gear. If it keeps saying you need more landing gear, this is why.
  • The landing bay must connect to the cockpit, so look inside the bay and see where the door is, so that you can have Habs in the correct spot, as well so you can make sure that Hab is able to reach the cockpit. Certain Habs have A and B versions with different connectivity, which can cause issues here.
  • The Docker must be on an outside edge of the ship, so if you have parts that are further out, if it is along the edge, or higher if on top, it may throw errors. It seems this ignores structural items... usually. Also, you CAN "flip" the Docker so that it is on the bottom of the ship. It considers landing gear in their retracted positions when doing the "outside edge" calculation
  • Reactor class limits the max class of components you can use If your reactor is Class A, you will only be able to use Class A components. If reactor is Class C, then you can use Class A,B, and C.
  • Grav drive is limited to 30LY. Mass negatively affect the jump range, which can be offset by the higher tier grav drives. If you cannot jump someplace, try jumping someplace closer (and often a few times) to unlock the place. There seems to be a gating mechanism around discovery of systems, so that you cannot jump past systems not discovered. Fuel limits how many jumps you can do in a single go. Fuel tanks refill automatically after a grav jump, so you do not need to worry about refilling them. More simply, grav drive dictates length of jump, fuel limits how many of the jumps you can do before you have to stop and rest (i.e load the system and re-initiate a grav jump)
  • Engines provide both thrust and maneuverability (Mobility). They are also often specialized in how they connect, which can be really annoying. Max speed for smaller engines (Class A) is 150. Larger engines (Class C) you are maxed 130. You only get 12 pips for engine power (and any system), so keep that in mind and add up the power for each engine you are trying to add. Adding a bunch of engines can end up slowing you down as it takes more power to actually hit the speed, and your mobility was already maxed at 100.
  • I usually go with dedicated lasers, dedicated projectile (hull dmg), and then either EM (for my raiding ship) or particle turrets. Missiles are slow and just seem to be a waste to me. I see a lot of people that just do particle weapons, but you cannot do hull damage until you break shields, and the particle weapons usually have lower shield damage than an actual laser weapon because it is split across both hull and shields. I would rather get the shields down ASAP. # of pips influences recharge speed, so if short on power, i just limit power to the EM or third weapon). Also, ramming is a weapon, and if you have shields still up and your enemy does not, it can take them out quickly. Would not try if you still have multiple enemies around you, though.
  • The system tries to logically create a single path through your ship. If you try to create loops (i.e. branch off in the front, but come back together at the back) it will not work. There will be only 1 doorway, you can mess around to try to get it to create that doorway at the point you want it (i.e. front vs back of the loop), but even that gets frustrating.
  • Modifying your ship, repopulates all of the "misc." items, and different ships' misc items carry over when you change ships. If your ship's cargo is always full, check the ship's misc. Dumbbells are heavy. It will also repopulate over time, as well, so "Sell from Ship" often at vendors. Another much needed mod...
  • Just have fun with it, and don't waste too much of your time in it (like I have)....... It all goes away when you hit the end and start a NG+

Thanks for the extensive post. I have figured out how to build a working ship, but I'm afraid that I miss a bunch of parts since I'm low level.

Thanks for the extensive post. I have figured out how to build a working ship, but I'm afraid that I miss a bunch of parts since I'm low level.
All the parts that are level locked are just upgrades to existing things to which you already have access, for the most part. You should have access to all of the "parts" you need, you just may not be able to get the higher tier version of it yet (i.e. Reactors with 30 power instead of 20).

• Modifying your ship, repopulates all of the "misc." items, and different ships' misc items carry over when you change ships. If your ship's cargo is always full, check the ship's misc. Dumbbells are heavy. It will also repopulate over time, as well, so "Sell from Ship" often at vendors. Another much needed mod..

Thanks, I didn't know about the Reactor levels.

Also, yeah I was getting frustrated because my ship cargo was always full. I didn't put two and two together after modding my ship multiple times. "Where am I getting all these damn dumbbells from?!!!" :LOL:

There's a lot of things this game doesn't tell you.[/spoiler]

I'm like 8 hours in. I don't even know how to get parts to build a ship. All I have is the frontier and I can rip it apart but can't change anything. The fro tier SUCKS in combat.

I'm like 8 hours in. I don't even know how to get parts to build a ship. All I have is the frontier and I can rip it apart but can't change anything. The fro tier SUCKS in combat.
You can upgrade the different systems from the main upgrade interface.
To actually change the parts around, you have to go into Ship Builder. G to add, and then select what parts you want to add. Most things click together, as long as there is a spot to click to there on the item. Only weapons seem to be a PITA on what they attach to. You an also select and item and then scroll through variants.

What That|TGuy said.

Also, different cities sell different ship parts.

Here is a great website that will save you some time tracking them all down. Think of it as an online strategy guide.
https://inara.cz/starfield/ship-modules/

From what I understand some things are level dependent. In one video SwoleBenji shows you how to modify/ugrade the Razorleaf (from Mantis quest) but you have to be level 12 or higher and have the first level of piloting as well. The upgrade looks pretty badass. You can take down level 60+ ships. I'm going to try it later today.

From what I understand some things are level dependent. In one video SwoleBenji shows you how to modify/ugrade the Razorleaf (from Mantis quest) but you have to be level 12 or higher and have the first level of piloting as well. The upgrade looks pretty badass. You can take down level 60+ ships. I'm going to try it later today.
Here is my Razorleaf:
1695721450487.png

thanks, so i've learned a massive lot from all your help, and online i.e. YT.

Now.my save game corrupted from a crash. It says my piloting skill is maxed out, which it is not, and I can't use B or C class ships because my game is locked me out of putting points Into the skills but says I'm maxed. I need a save game editor, or just restart game. I just don't wanna go through the campaign so far that I have. Ughh

I'm only level 19.

thanks, so i've learned a massive lot from all your help, and online i.e. YT.

Now.my save game corrupted from a crash. It says my piloting skill is maxed out, which it is not, and I can't use B or C class ships because my game is locked me out of putting points Into the skills but says I'm maxed. I need a save game editor, or just restart game. I just don't wanna go through the campaign so far that I have. Ughh

I'm only level 19.
Just go back a save or two before that happened. That's what I did when it happened to me.

Just go back a save or two before that happened. That's what I did when it happened to me.
Good idea. I went back and loaded an old save. Now trying to resume from where it left off. I lost an entire outpost since that save but it was a shit outpost anyways. I learned better tricks for outpost construction since then anyways.

Last edited:
I just spent the minimum possible time in the ship builder. Function over form. Double fuel capacity for long jumps, 1500 cargo capacity, added engines for more speeeeeeeeed.

minimum2.jpgminimum.jpg

Lately , I have been having fun capturing ships either on the ground or boarding in space and then rearranging the parts and tweaking in the ship builder.

Captured one of these..

1695868324702.png

The reactor and weapons should be upgraded for sure as I kept all those as is for now however, it only cost about 37k creds to get to this point.
So after shifting parts around and deleting a bunch- and only adding a few.

I present the Beryllium Falcon.

1695868694301.png

1695868719993.png

1695868739983.png

Lately , I have been having fun capturing ships either on the ground or boarding in space and then rearranging the parts and tweaking in the ship builder.

Captured one of these..

View attachment 601740

The reactor and weapons should be upgraded for sure as I kept all those as is for now however, it only cost about 37k creds to get to this point.
So after shifting parts around and deleting a bunch- and only adding a few.

I present the Beryllium Falcon.

View attachment 601741

View attachment 601742
View attachment 601743
One watch out for captured ships....
Apparently they retain some link to their old life and can take off without you and get into trouble. I was docked at the Eye, and running back after getting a new temple from Vladimir when I noticed my ship undock itself and start fighting the UC ships there around Jemison.

Oh man! So far that hasn’t happened to me. I wonder if deleting all the parts and rebuilding it does anything for that? I have the quest reward ships and really only use the Kepler R with some optimization due to its large cargo capacity. The rest of the ships ,4 or 5 , are captures I keep rebuilding and swapping into for fun. Hopefully none go rogue on me.

Did they fix ship re-naming yet? I've been busy in Cyberpunk 2077 lately...

One watch out for captured ships....
Apparently they retain some link to their old life and can take off without you and get into trouble. I was docked at the Eye, and running back after getting a new temple from Vladimir when I noticed my ship undock itself and start fighting the UC ships there around Jemison.

That's hilarious.

So what happens then? Were you just stuck on the Eye and had to load from a saved game?

Back