Starfield: Let's see Your Ships!

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
I thoght this could be a fun thread.

I'll start though mine is nothing special. I''m about 40 hours in, and at level 18.

I took the base of this ship from a random side quest where I was radioed for help, but by the time I boarded spacers had already killed off all the crew. I liked the ship, it was better than what I could build at the time so I kept it.

~80% of the ship is still the same, but I added some cargo space on each side, which weighed it down, so I needed to add thrust, which I achieved by adding some structural parts to fit two more engines in the back.

It's a mix of Deimos and Tayo parts, and Nova engines, and it seems to work aesthetically (though maybe not perfectly)

Photo_2023-09-10-183052.png

Photo_2023-09-10-183242.png

If it is not obvious, the inner two engines (the ones that are the furthest back) were not there on the ship that I seized. I initially moved the rear landing gear back, and added some structural filler in between to give them something to mount to. Then when I installed the C class reactor, I had to remove some of that structural filler to allow it to fit, as it was double the size of the old reactor.

I took the missile launcher off, because I can never seem to use it anyway, and figured I might as well save the weight. It never locks in time to be effective for me. Maybe once I level up my targeting skills and locks become quicker and at greater range I'll put one back in.

I was pretty excited to get the big Deimos bridge so early in game. I don't think you can actually install it until you have shipbuilder level 3. I still couldn't install it if I wanted to add it to a ship or build a new ship with it. Not sure it actually does anything of value, but it looks really nice.

I'm sure this is nothing compared to what some of you have built, but I am pretty happy with it. The base provided by the seized ship, albeit a little bit confusing on the inside at first allowed me to experiment with shipbuilding without having to learn all the hab modules from scratch.

It seems to have modules with all of the workbenches inside, though I've admittedly never used them.

I wanted to take screenshots from the ship builder, but for some reason, the steam overlay doesn't work in this game for me (May have to do with PureDarks DLSS mod)

I pulled a grandma, and took a pic with my phone of the specs:

PXL_20230910_223532713.jpg

The funny part is that certain ships seized during certain (but not all) side quests cannot be renamed, so I am stuck with this ship being named "Damaged Ship". I'm hoping they fix this bug at some point. I keep thinking I am going to trade up to a new ship (either bought or built) but then I blow all of my credits on the next upgrade instead, and never save enough, so this ship will probably be with me for a while.

Last edited:
Anyone build a small fighter type ship? I know big and badass is the thing many go for but I was thinking something small, fast and can pack a good punch would fit my character's style.

I didn’t know you could get a new ship…

…Double checking this title said StarFIELD and not CITIZEN.

I know what I’ll be doing next time I play.

so that's neat.

is this an example of a small portion of a game being the only reason to play the game? sort of like Path of Exile and the new league mechanic is the only thing I play. heh

I'll post up mine when I got home. Buddy linked a YT vid and I kind of ripped off the design from him with some changes. I'm trying to decide if I like auto-turrets or not.

Need to work with the contrasting colors, and yes, there are 4 engines, 2 are tucked in, you can see them in the first snap. I want to mod the reactor, and put better weapons on it, but I'm only lvl 3 Ship Engineering at the moment. Missles are snug up in that cubby in the nose. Playing on very hard I still lose some ship battles even after dumping around 400k into this.
Still deciding on auto turrets. I don't have the skill for them, and have 2 points already in regular beam weapons... so I might skip them this time around. I'll post the YT vid I took this from when I get another moment.

20230911154000_1.jpg

20230911154010_1.jpg
20230911154021_1.jpg
20230911154031_1.jpg
20230911154042_1.jpg

And you can fly these I imagine? Do the designs affect performance and stuff? that's kind of awesome

The bigger the mass the slower/sluggish they are in battle is what I hear. Of course a big capital like ship can take and give more damage I would think. I was thinking for a role playing purposes an assassin/bounty hunter would have something smaller and more agile for personal use. I need to get my ship building skill up so I can play around with some designs. Its not the most important thing in the game for me but I do want to play around with the three different class level piloting.

And you can fly these I imagine? Do the designs affect performance and stuff? that's kind of awesome
Oh yeah, that's the ship I fly around the game in.

Mass plays a big factor, as does reactor power output to power shields / beam weap / missle weap / EM weaps / engines. So you can build a ship that could possibly not be able to lift off, or go full speed and power it's weapons fully (like mine!) :\ You kind of need to figure out what you *can* build / afford before you start building. I wanted this big ass thing, but it's kind of under powered weapon wise I feel sometimes.

There are LOTS of things to put points into, and early on I went heavy into pistols / ballistics / rifles so I could murder people... then went hard into persuasion while leaving my ship based stuff behind. I think my next playthrough I'll probably be a lot better off, as I didn't follow any guides for the first week or so.

EDIT: Said video where I based my ship on :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti30Yd2-2U0

I swap around all 3 of these currently. I have found a number of "free ships" and just totally gutted and rebuilt them into these. I have so far left the Frontier and Razorleaf alone, as well as the first ship I bought, the Achilles. Trying to decide what to build next. At some point I may try to redo these, and make the interiors closer to how it is in original media, but it becomes such a pain to try to do that plus get the components i want in order to make it where it is actually usable in game (lack of cargo is a killer for me). One really frustrating part of the ship building is that you cannot choose where doors (and ladders up) are placed. The Normandy is my current biggest frustration, because I wanted to have a loop with passages to both sides at both the front and the back. No matter what I do, I can only get there to be doors to both sides in the front only, or the back only. This also can be frustrating where I have to restart a build because I cannot get the bay connected to the cockpit correctly.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 090223.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-12 090401.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-12 090259.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-12 085129.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 085129.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
And someone had made mods that disregard the ingame limitations on: (scroll to bottom for list)
  • No limit on number of reactors
  • No engine power limits
  • No minimum landing gear
  • No reactor 'class'
  • No weapon power / count limits
  • No shield limit

We need a mod that allows us to fly / steal ships that we aren't allowed to. I'm tired of bounty hunters, usually the ecliptic guys, setting down in a nice ship to come after me, and clearing out the ground party, then the half dozen guys on the ship, and getting to pilot seat and the game saying "nope".

That's probably my biggest gripe so far. Some of those ships are pretty cool looking.

My top mod would be one that sets Resources weight = 0. One that lets you determine where interior doors and ladders are placed would be great too. I would like one that removes size limits, but i think that would likely end up causing more issues than it is worth. I don't mind the limits on the different systems, as i think there are only 12 total pips for each system, and I do not find too much of an issue with moving pips around based on need.

Here's mine, "Payday". It started off as an Ecliptic Stiletto which I commandeered very early on from one of the Bounty Hunters that spawn if you have the Wanted trait. At some point I modified it but wanted to keep the general lines intact. More importantly, I wanted maximum convenience: "single plane" design with minimal internal ladders and front Loading Bay for entry. Getting in/out of the ship via the Landing Bay or Docking Port should require zero ladder traversals.

As it stands, the landing bay directly leads to the "main floor" with the cockpit, captain's quarters, and a single 1x1 module at the rear. That rear 1x1 module is the only one with an internal ladder which connects to the slim top Docking Port and the 2x1 Workshop on the "bottom" floor. The Stroud 2x1 Workshop contains all the essentials: Research Station, Weapon Workbench, Spacesuit Workbench, and the Industrial Workbench.

Exterior:
front.jpg

back.jpg

bottom.jpg

Interior (front to back):
front-to-back.jpg

Interior (back to front):
back-to-front.jpg

Some shots of takeoff - I really like the Taiyo Landing Gear/Thrusters:
takeoff.jpg
takeoff-1.jpg

My top mod would be one that sets Resources weight = 0. One that lets you determine where interior doors and ladders are placed would be great too. I would like one that removes size limits, but i think that would likely end up causing more issues than it is worth. I don't mind the limits on the different systems, as i think there are only 12 total pips for each system, and I do not find too much of an issue with moving pips around based on need.

You can manage door and ladder locations slightly by choosing A or B models for your modules, and deciding where to put the dock port and main entrance to the ship, but I agree, it is somewhat limited, and I hate that you cant get a preview in the ship builder. You have to build, accepot the cost, and then go to your ship to see how it turned out, which sucks. So I always save first before building, just in case I hate it :p

On the A vs B modules thing though. Things like a living quarters or workstation A module only allow doors to be at the ends, whereas a B module has door options along the sides, so if yyou don't want doors in places on the sides, you can use A modules and link them with a companionway at the ends to force the doors in sortof the places you want.

I swap around all 3 of these currently. I have found a number of "free ships" and just totally gutted and rebuilt them into these. I have so far left the Frontier and Razorleaf alone, as well as the first ship I bought, the Achilles. Trying to decide what to build next. At some point I may try to redo these, and make the interiors closer to how it is in original media, but it becomes such a pain to try to do that plus get the components i want in order to make it where it is actually usable in game (lack of cargo is a killer for me). One really frustrating part of the ship building is that you cannot choose where doors (and ladders up) are placed. The Normandy is my current biggest frustration, because I wanted to have a loop with passages to both sides at both the front and the back. No matter what I do, I can only get there to be doors to both sides in the front only, or the back only. This also can be frustrating where I have to restart a build because I cannot get the bay connected to the cockpit correctly.

View attachment 598223View attachment 598225View attachment 598224

If you don't mind, how did you take screenshots of the shipbuilder. I tried to use the photo mode, and the Steam overlay to do it, and neither worked for me. Phoito mode works in game, but not in menus (like the builder) The steam screenshot function doesn't work at all anywere. Though this may be because I use the PureDark DLSS mod which is said to break overlays.

You can manage door and ladder locations slightly by choosing A or B models for your modules, and deciding where to put the dock port and main entrance to the ship, but I agree, it is somewhat limited, and I hate that you cant get a preview in the ship builder. You have to build, accepot the cost, and then go to your ship to see how it turned out, which sucks. So I always save first before building, just in case I hate it :p

On the A vs B modules thing though. Things like a living quarters or workstation A module only allow doors to be at the ends, whereas a B module has door options along the sides, so if yyou don't want doors in places on the sides, you can use A modules and link them with a companionway at the ends to force the doors in sortof the places you want.
Yea., but it gets really frustrating, and it often still ends up not working, in order to get things configured like I want it.

If you don't mind, how did you take screenshots of the shipbuilder. I tried to use the photo mode, and the Steam overlay to do it, and neither worked for me. Phoito mode works in game, but not in menus (like the builder) The steam screenshot function doesn't work at all anywere. Though this may be because I use the PureDark DLSS mod which is said to break overlays.
I actually used Print Screen on my keyboard (can also do Windows + Shift + S). On my Windows 11 machine, it opens the snipping tool. On my Linux machine it opens Spectacle.

Yea., but it gets really frustrating, and it often still ends up not working, in order to get things configured like I want it.

I actually used Print Screen on my keyboard (can also do Windows + Shift + S). On my Windows 11 machine, it opens the snipping tool. On my Linux machine it opens Spectacle.

Right. I forgot you can do that, as it runs as a borderless window.

I have always been a "forced full screen" absolutist, and never understood why they make games any other way, but if it is running as a plain old window, print-screen should do the trick.

My current favorite, I have modified the Achilles I bought into a recreation of MCRN Tachi (aka the Rocinante). I am still tweaking the outside, but it is quite fun to fly. I would take screenshots from ShipBuilder, but I am in Neon currently and in my save the Ship tech walks off the side of the platform and is out of world. I keep summoning him back to the platform from the console, but he goes right back over the side every time.
I think half my enjoyment (and probably more than half of my time) in this game is messing around in the ShipBuilder and then going off and finding some pirates to test out my build on. I wish there was a dedicated cross-faction Warzone where you could pop in and engage in a large scale space battle.
if Elite: Dangerous had the ability to build ships like this, I would probably not have burnt out as fast.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 171341.jpg

Right. I forgot you can do that, as it runs as a borderless window.

I have always been a "forced full screen" absolutist, and never understood why they make games any other way, but if it is running as a plain old window, print-screen should do the trick.
I never even noticed it runs in Borderless Full Screen, I typically run every game in Full Screen mode. No wonder snipping worked so seamlessly.

I never even noticed it runs in Borderless Full Screen, I typically run every game in Full Screen mode. No wonder snipping worked so seamlessly.

I read something about how apparently forced full-screen modes have been removed from the DX12 API, so the games that do claim a "full screen mode" under DX12 are somehow faking it.

Now quite sure why they would remove the full screen mode from the DX12 API or jhow the other games fake it, but...

I guess it makes multi-monitor gaming of infinite sizes and combinations easier? And supports desktop style print screen? Maybe that's the motivation?

I always just select Full screen out of habit, which I started doing because I wanted to avoid any potential performance loss, and I hate hate hate when the mouse pointer wanders off screen in a borderless window.

I feel like this is why I try to avoid games like this..lol cause I would spend more time trying to design and build cool ships :D

Looks kind of like the drop ship in Aliens
That's what inspired it. Looking like a gunship is what I was going for. I made some tweaks to it as well.

image.png

1694924969473.png

1694924980975.png

1694924993080.png

Some minor changes for better aesthetics. I moved the guns outboard and cleaned up the clutter around the landing bay. I also used fewer landing struts and used shielded cargo containers to make it a bit less boxy on the underside.

That's what inspired it. Looking like a gunship is what I was going for. I made some tweaks to it as well.

View attachment 599298
View attachment 599295
View attachment 599296
View attachment 599297

Some minor changes for better aesthetics. I moved the guns outboard and cleaned up the clutter around the landing bay. I also used fewer landing struts and used shielded cargo containers to make it a bit less boxy on the underside.
Just remember to check your ship for Heatleeches & Facehuggers from time to time.

And someone had made mods that disregard the ingame limitations on: (scroll to bottom for list)
  • No limit on number of reactors
  • No engine power limits
  • No minimum landing gear
  • No reactor 'class'
  • No weapon power / count limits
  • No shield limit
Thanks, probably my first mod. Should make the larger ships a little more fun to cover them with turrets.

Back