Star Wars: Episode 9 To Be Shot On 65mm Film

Thing is, folks have been exposed to HDR movies for awhile - via film and a very bright lighted projector ;). If you could use one of the theater projectors and project it on a much smaller screen - one would be seeing some very HDR and high resolution imaging that would blow anything currently on the digital market away.
One of the reasons I mentioned the snowy scenes in The Hateful Eight, easier to do and with high quality on film.
I am thinking more about the push by Dolby with Dolby Vision (or the very recent solution from YMagis), it has the best chance of adoption in the movie-cinema industry going by their track record; although WTH is Magic Mike XXL doing with this tech I have no idea :)
I suppose separate to that is the HDRx from Red *shrug*.

Cheers

The other reason for using film is a lot of the top veteran cinematographers just plain prefer using it and have 40+ years experience with it.

A film negative, properly stored will last for decades with very little long term effort. How long a stack of 3TB Seagate HDDs used in a 4K RED Camera using some proprietary data format will last...I dunno.

Sounds like they'll get some really good high res shots of actors in front of green screens since the movie is like 99% CGI anyway....

Hey community here is some useful information that I hope can increased the knowledge to the community

I'm so smart. you are all so stupid....

Here in the wild forum, we see the big contrast between a valuable post and a useless post.
Due to the ever increasing ego the former sadly has gone into endangered species classification.

Now let me go poke it with a stick...
cameraman-steve-irwin-moarte-18476271.jpg

This is good to hear, now if they could just get some decent writers on board who aren't afraid to make a NEW Star Wars story rather then copying the old ones....
If you think TFA was just a rip off of the other Star Wars movies then you don't know the movies that well. The plot of TFA wasn't the Empire looking for plans to a death star, it was looking for Luke, awkwardly to you this may seem the same to you, but they're not. You sound like you want to be bitter about the new movies. Let the rest of us enjoy them, $2B later tends to make me think you're in the minority on this one. There are similarities of the films, but that's what makes it Star Wars. People wanted the old feel back, well, we got the old feel back, definitely not a copy.

If you think TFA was just a rip off of the other Star Wars movies then you don't know the movies that well. The plot of TFA wasn't the Empire looking for plans to a death star, it was looking for Luke, awkwardly to you this may seem the same to you, but they're not. You sound like you want to be bitter about the new movies. Let the rest of us enjoy them, $2B later tends to make me think you're in the minority on this one. There are similarities of the films, but that's what makes it Star Wars. People wanted the old feel back, well, we got the old feel back, definitely not a copy.

They literally took so much from A New Hope, though a New Hope was much much better in terms of its story and characters and building them up , unlike TFA.

Lets see:

1. Droid which holds a "secret" crashes onto a planet (In A New Hope it was the Death Star plans, in TFA it's the location of Luke).
2. Droid finds its way to someone on a desert planet while the person ends up being an important person/Jedi.
3. Kylo Ren - A Jedi who betrayed his master and fell to the Dark Side, who also happens to wear a "mask" (though in this case he doesn't actually need to), who also reports to a "mysterious" master.
4. Said "Jedi" (Rey) happens to run into an older guy who takes them under their wing (With Luke it was Obi, with Rey it's Han).
5. Said "father" figure ends up being cut down by the big bad guy.
6. The bad guys are building a super weapon, the first one looked like a moon, this one is the size of a planet, big difference eh?
7. Said weapon is destroyed by flying into a trench to hit a weak point.

The entire bloody movie was basically A New Hope just with some different characters, which were poorly written compared to Luke/Obi/Han/Leia.

As far as the faults of it go, it was mainly in the terrible characters/writing.

Rey is the "perfect" being, has 0 flaws or anything, she magically knows EVERYTHING and needs no one to help her. She was extremely one dimensional and her entire character arc is "I was left on a planet by myself."

Luke on the other hand had faults, he was brash (and this cost him dearly when he tried to face Vader). He actually took time to leanr/train with the force, he asked for/took help where he could get it. Basically Luke felt like a REAL character, he wasn't perfect and he had way more depth then Rey.

Finn was such a massive mis-fire. They started him off as a storm trooper who actually seemed to have a PTSD break, when he sees one of his friends get cut down and loses it. This could have been an AMAZING direction to take his character, have him end up being torn between violence, the people he knew on both sides, etc. Instead what did they do? Oh, they tossed this ENTIRE thing out the window abut as soon as he hit the ground. He freaking LAUGHS while firing his weapon at storm troopers later on in the movie and has 0 problems with violence or anything. They basically made his character into a one-trick "funny man" who had really no skills to bring ithe group outside of some "funny lines." Whereas Han was both a wisecracking/funny character but also smart and brought skills to the group dynamic of him/Luke/Leia.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and you are entitled to your own, I never said you weren't or anyone else. The movie made a ton of money and obviously they are going to keep pumping them out. I just hope the newer ones take risks and aren't afraid to make their OWN stories with characters that actually have some depth to them and aren't just one-trick characters with the depth of a puddle.

They literally took so much from A New Hope, though a New Hope was much much better in terms of its story and characters and building them up , unlike TFA.

Lets see:

1. Droid which holds a "secret" crashes onto a planet (In A New Hope it was the Death Star plans, in TFA it's the location of Luke).
2. Droid finds its way to someone on a desert planet while the person ends up being an important person/Jedi.
3. Kylo Ren - A Jedi who betrayed his master and fell to the Dark Side, who also happens to wear a "mask" (though in this case he doesn't actually need to), who also reports to a "mysterious" master.
4. Said "Jedi" (Rey) happens to run into an older guy who takes them under their wing (With Luke it was Obi, with Rey it's Han).
6. The bad guys are building a super weapon, the first one looked like a moon, this one is the size of a planet, big difference eh?

The entire bloody movie was basically A New Hope just with some different characters, which were poorly written compared to Luke/Obi/Han/Leia.

As far as the faults of it go, it was mainly in the terrible characters/writing.

Rey is the "perfect" being, has 0 flaws or anything, she magically knows EVERYTHING and needs no one to help her. She was extremely one dimensional and her entire character arc is "I was left on a planet by myself."

Luke on the other hand had faults, he was brash (and this cost him dearly when he tried to face Vader). He actually took time to leanr/train with the force, he asked for/took help where he could get it. Basically Luke felt like a REAL character, he wasn't perfect and he had way more depth then Rey.

Finn was such a massive mis-fire. They started him off as a storm trooper who actually seemed to have a PTSD break, when he sees one of his friends get cut down and loses it. This could have been an AMAZING direction to take his character, have him end up being torn between violence, the people he knew on both sides, etc. Instead what did they do? Oh, they tossed this ENTIRE thing out the window abut as soon as he hit the ground. He freaking LAUGHS while firing his weapon at storm troopers later on in the movie and has 0 problems with violence or anything. They basically made his character into a one-trick "funny man" who had really no skills to bring ithe group outside of some "funny lines." Whereas Han was both a wisecracking/funny character but also smart and brought skills to the group dynamic of him/Luke/Leia.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and you are entitled to your own, I never said you weren't or anyone else. The movie made a ton of money and obviously they are going to keep pumping them out. I just hope the newer ones take risks and aren't afraid to make their OWN stories with characters that actually have some depth to them and aren't just one-trick characters with the depth of a puddle.

You could draw even more comparisons then this between the SW prequels and the original trilogy. These repeating themes are what makes Star Wars Star Wars, even according to George Lucas himself.

It's literally a beat for beat retelling almost, I don't know how much more I can explain it to you. The prequels were no where near as close to that, and no that's not what makes "star wars star wars."

Empire/ROTJ were not the same story as A New Hope.

It's Star wars...not A New Hope.

Just Star Wars. A New Hope is just Lucas revisionist crap.

Lets see:

You should listen to the commentary that is included on the new 3D Blu-ray. It's intentional, it's not a copy, the comparisons are intentional, the "plot" is almost night and day.

You should listen to the commentary that is included on the new 3D Blu-ray. It's intentional, it's not a copy, the comparisons are intentional, the "plot" is almost night and day.

Intentionally copying the new hope doesn't mean it's less of a copy...

Watch this:

Literally so much of the movie is a straight beat for beat "new take" on A New Hope with new characters and some slight changes here and there, it's not "night and day" differences in the plot.

Personally I feel it was the best way to introduce a new young generation to the original Star Wars trilogy, while also still appealing to those brought up on Star Wars; Ignoring episode 1-3.
But then I would be seen as a Star Wars heretic as I also like the story path taken with the animated series of The Clone Wars and also Rebels :)
Would love some of those story arcs converge with the films but they will not, probably to the relief of quite a few.
Cheers

Intentionally copying the new hope doesn't mean it's less of a copy...

Watch this:

Literally so much of the movie is a straight beat for beat "new take" on A New Hope with new characters and some slight changes here and there, it's not "night and day" differences in the plot.

I guess it's just going to be a difference in perception on this one. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong. I just don't see it the way you do.

Back