Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

So the Kickstarter ended in 2012, but they haven't shipped out any of the physical backer rewards 11 years later? But have opened a store and sell new merch?

Do I have that correct? o_O
This isn't actually true. They just haven't shipped the physical ones that went along with the full and completed game, like the physical boxed game, boxed collector's editions, signed CEs etc.. which makes sense because you'd need to have a completed game. Thats its own argument and I'm not going to rehash it here, however.

They did ship other physical stuff years ago, including the physical "citizen cards" , that everyone got so long as they backed a full copy of he game at the time, at $30-40+. There were a few other early physical bonuses that were shipped too for original/veteran backers, and of course the digital ones were provided. As far as later merch,it was mostly stuff completely unrelated to the crowdfunding campaigns or early original backer stuff; they even gave early backers discounted or sometimes even free other stuff (ie the Constellation model among others), so it wasn't like backers didn't a benefit for even stuff after the campaign. Also they had at least 2 if not 3 later Citizen Card issues, so those that missed on the original or wanted to upgrade given they hit another pledge tier since could do so. So they did deliver physical rewards, many of them long long ago.

1697316100135.png

This isn't actually true. They just haven't shipped the physical ones that went along with the full and completed game, like the physical boxed game, boxed collector's editions, signed CEs etc.. which makes sense because you'd need to have a completed game. Thats its own argument and I'm not going to rehash it here, however.

They did ship other physical stuff years ago, including the physical "citizen cards" , that everyone got so long as they backed a full copy of he game at the time, at $30-40+. There were a few other early physical bonuses that were shipped too for original/veteran backers, and of course the digital ones were provided. As far as later merch,it was mostly stuff completely unrelated to the crowdfunding campaigns or early original backer stuff; they even gave early backers discounted or sometimes even free other stuff (ie the Constellation model among others), so it wasn't like backers didn't a benefit for even stuff after the campaign. Also they had at least 2 if not 3 later Citizen Card issues, so those that missed on the original or wanted to upgrade given they hit another pledge tier since could do so. So they did deliver physical rewards, many of them long long ago.
Ahhh got ya, thanks for the lore! Those physical cards are pretty sweet.

Been boring as shit for this first panel, but I knew it would be. Its basically a sales pitch for the engine.
I have to give them credit for the technical deep dives into what's being worked on. While for CitCon and other events its often made more accessible and interesting for a larger audience (ie some demo stuff), the technical detail is still there when talking about stuff like the engine, the various types of stacking tech necessary to build what they envision , and even when/how things that went wrong were resolved.

Was desiring a space game last month and gave STAR CITIZEN a go. Stopped playing after 10 minutes and uninstalled when I couldn't figure out how to get at out of the room. Seriously needs a tutorial.

Was desiring a space game last month and gave STAR CITIZEN a go. Stopped playing after 10 minutes and uninstalled when I couldn't figure out how to get at out of the room. Seriously needs a tutorial.
It does have a tutorial. Did you skip it?

There was a tutorial?? When I started the game I was in a room that I couldn't get out of. If that was the tutorial then it sucks otherwise I didn't see it, lol.
There is, it is still not great but it is better than nothing. After you create your character and select your starting planet a window pops up recommending people play the tutorial if they are new. If you hit ‘skip’ then it dumps you into the game with minimal tooltips.

In the future while you are on foot you interact with things by holding ‘F’ which lets your move the mouse and interact with things like door buttons, elevator buttons, etc.

After seeing what was shown at citcon, a few friends and I are thinking of starting an org. Looks like more people are gonna be needed for lots of things.

Let's hope they succeed with squadron 42. We really need a proper and successful space combat single player game that includes on foot combat, amazes me that we still don't have one.

Let's hope they succeed with squadron 42. We really need a proper and successful space combat single player game that includes on foot combat, amazes me that we still don't have one.
Maybe because that mixes two different genera's and splits development time, often sabatoging both efforts? More focused development tends to be better.

There is, it is still not great but it is better than nothing. After you create your character and select your starting planet a window pops up recommending people play the tutorial if they are new. If you hit ‘skip’ then it dumps you into the game with minimal tooltips.

In the future while you are on foot you interact with things by holding ‘F’ which lets your move the mouse and interact with things like door buttons, elevator buttons, etc.

I think I'll just wait for the single player game as the "tutorial" which will probably be released in the next 8 to 10 years, lol.

I think I'll just wait for the single player game as the "tutorial" which will probably be released in the next 8 to 10 years, lol.
That’s probably a good plan. The multiplayer is not easy to get into but for those that enjoy it there is nothing else on the market quite like it.

Maybe because that mixes two different genera's and splits development time, often sabatoging both efforts? More focused development tends to be better.
That’s what I thought during the trailer. How did we go from fighting on the front lines in an alien war to hiding from pirates on a junk ship floating down the river? Plus you add in random physics puzzles and the game seems kinda all over the place.

They said they wanted this to be Wing Commander for this generation, but Wing Commander was a really focused title.

I've always been of the opinion that they didn't get really serious about SQ42 until December of 2018. To me that's when they really started working on the game. That's just how I look at it anyway. I know for many others it started way way before then.

My $35 Bounty Hunter 300i with LTI Kickstarter package purchased in 2012 includes Squadron 42 and the single player game is all I was and am interested in. The persistent universe could be fun eventually but I can’t get into it despite trying once or twice a year. I still think they should have built and launched SQ 42 first years ago and use those sales, dlc whatever to help find the rest.

Yeah I don't see the appeal for the on foot part. Fighter pilots don't get on foot and pretend they're special forces, or mechanics, or whatever the story might have you doing. The FPS gameplay looks okay, but I'd rather just have it be 100% ship based. Going from HOTAS to mouse and keyboard can be odd too. I would have to physically adjust my setup each time I enter/exit a ship.

I've always been of the opinion that they didn't get really serious about SQ42 until December of 2018. To me that's when they really started working on the game. That's just how I look at it anyway. I know for many others it started way way before then.

They discovered they could sell JPGs of ships that didn't exist yet and got lazy/greedy. The original Kickstarter was heavily focused on the SP game, what would become Squadron 42. Personally, it's all I ever cared about in the first place.

Well, I just installed SC for the first time in years.

It doesn't run saying it needs "Easy Anti-Cheat". WTF? I didn't even want to do multiplayer.

I don't want to screw up my system. Is that anti-cheat harmless? Any horror stories?

ETA: and where do I get it? The website doesn't have a download and obviously it doesn't come with SC.

Last edited:
Easy Anti Cheat is made by Epic Games. It's as safe as the Epic Store, or anything that uses the Unreal Engine.

Most cheats are done by putting in system .dll files in the game directory with modifications to it (such as a direct x .dll where you can turn on transparency in walls etc). Since windows will load .dll in the application folder first before going to c:\windows\system32 this program just searches for these in the game directory to see if a cheat was installed. I'd say its harmless (I have used it for years in other games like War Thunder).

OK.

But it doesn't install EAC automatically for me and doesn't seem to have an option to do so :-/

How do I install it now that I decided I want it?

I linked the troubleshooting, but like I said, it's built in. Uninstall and reinstall. Say yes to any pop-ups.

Well, I just installed SC for the first time in years.

It doesn't run saying it needs "Easy Anti-Cheat". WTF? I didn't even want to do multiplayer.

I don't want to screw up my system. Is that anti-cheat harmless? Any horror stories?

ETA: and where do I get it? The website doesn't have a download and obviously it doesn't come with SC.

If you didnt want to do multiplayer, you installed the wrong game as SC is all multiplayer..

There is an EAC installer in the SC folder after install, I dont remember which subfolder.

Yeah I don't see the appeal for the on foot part. Fighter pilots don't get on foot and pretend they're special forces, or mechanics, or whatever the story might have you doing. The FPS gameplay looks okay, but I'd rather just have it be 100% ship based. Going from HOTAS to mouse and keyboard can be odd too. I would have to physically adjust my setup each time I enter/exit a ship.

If you're using HOTAS in a dedicated setup for SQ42 or SC, you will either have that mapped for walking around, or youll have controls set up and able to be used - theres no other option. Thats how the games are designed, and have been since the outset. You dont just sit in a cockpit.
You're not the target demo for these games if that is not what you want.

Reactions: uOpt
like this
So my 3 friends and I started an org. The thing that sucks is we all hate recruiting, so I need to recruit someone who wants to recruit lol

Nice, I got in as well but I leave town tomorrow. Pyro will be old news by the time I get back.

I don't think so. Right now I'd say you can only set destination and quantum to maybe 25%of it. Will they add more in preview or saving it for the launch? Dunno

Back