Stand alone speakers good for close placement

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I have some TSC bookshelf speakers that I like but in my apartment they are placed really close to me (I have to put them on my desk) so they will often sound boomy. I am looking for some smaller speakers that are suited for closer placement to the listener until I can get a bigger space.

I have an amp and I need speakers that can take normal wire input. The only speakers I have been able to find that I can do that with is the Klipsch ProMedia speakers. Anyone know of any others/any better ones that would be great for me?

(I'm just looking for speakers, no amp/sub/etc)

What kind of amp do you have (including specs) and how much money do you have?

try moving them further from any back walls, especially if they are rear ported.
you also may want to try to isolate them from your desk....

if your set on new speakers, what size cabinet can you accomodate, and are you running them with a sub?
and what is your budget?
anything like the klipsch pro media will require a sub.

Last edited:
try moving them further from any back walls, especially if they are rear ported.
you also may want to try to isolate them from your desk....

if your set on new speakers, what size cabinet can you accomodate, and are you running them with a sub?
and what is your budget?
anything like the klipsch pro media will require a sub.

I wish I could but I just don't have the room. I'm already in the biggest bedroom in the apartment but I am having to fit two desks and some bookshelves. Not only that even the "biggest" room isn't really all that big either.

What kind of amp do you have (including specs) and how much money do you have?

I can't spend $200 getting a nice set, but I don't necessarily want to limit myself. If there's something really good and it's very good value for my money I'll consider it. My amp is an average Marantz amp from the early 80s. It does 50W+ RMS per channel.

I'm not worried about sub/amp or anything like that. I've already been looking at subwoofers. I'm just stuck on finding speakers.

i would look at the aperion intimus 4b if you want a great speaker but keep the cabinet size small.
the only issue is your sub better be able to reach up to 100-120hz without compromising its bottom end if you use those speakers.
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-4B-Satellite-Speaker,113,90,261.aspx

whats the biggest cabinet size you think youd think youd want to use

I'm not really worried about cabinet size. I have room for my 6.25" drivers and their cabinet. I just need something that is designed to be placed much closer to the listener.

I'm not really worried about cabinet size. I have room for my 6.25" drivers and their cabinet. I just need something that is designed to be placed much closer to the listener.

i dont think your problem is distance to the listener, but distance from a back wall.

You may want to look into bookshelves with front firing ports, Procyon is right, sounds like you may be running into clearance issues assuming your current speakers are rear ported.

those behrigers are nice and wont give problems shoved near a wall.

clearence isnt the only issue. putting a speaker near a wall re enforces bass. almost no loudspeaker is designed to be pushed near a wall with the exception of studio monitors and smaller speakers without lower bass extension. having a rear port will make things worse but even a front ported or acoustic suspension enclosure can cause issues, dependent on the speaker in question.

theres also the matter of isolation from the desk.

Last edited:
Experiment with plugging the ports. You don't need to seal them completely to change the bass tuning.

You might look for a pair of NHT Super Zeros; they're bass-light & sealed to boot.

Experiment with plugging the ports. You don't need to seal them completely to change the bass tuning.

You might look for a pair of NHT Super Zeros; they're bass-light & sealed to boot.

Anyone carry those anywhere? I'm having a hard time tracking them down. There's a couple on eBay, but that seems to be it.

Back