Stability Testing

drescherjm

[H]F Junkie
So at work I arrive today to have one user complain about the machine I built her crashing. This is probably the 200th machine I have put together so I am no beginner. Anyways when I got to the machine it booted right into windows and as I went to Event Viewer to check the system it spontaneously rebooted a few seconds later. After this it would not post. Toggle the power and it was back up. Then I went into the bios to relax the memory timings. While doing this it locked up. So I took the machine to my lab. And it would not post.

I opened the case pulled the second dimm and it booted right up. I then ran memtest for a few minutes with only 1 dimm installed without problems. Then I put the second dimm back in the same slot it came from and ran memtest and all was well for 2 passes. After this I booted into XP64 and ran IBT default and all was well. After this I am running IBT Maximum for 10 passes and it appears fine.

Any ideas on what else to test before I call it a loose dimm? The dimm did not appear to be loose.

The system is:

AMD Phenom™ II X2 545
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 MATCHED 4GB - TW3X4G1333C9A
ASUS M4A785TD-EVO
WDC 10EADS 1TB drive
SAMSUNG SATA DVD burner

Any ideas for more testing?

IBT passed fine. Now doing AOD stability test. I can not do any 12 hour tests since I must give the user her machine back today..

When it didn't restart without a power switch toggle, it made me wonder...

What PSU model is being used?
Does the user have a UPS or surge protector?

IIRC, IBT only tests CPU, mainly, so try Prime95 blend test, as it will test both RAM and CPU.

So did you accomplish changing the timings? has it reset since you changed the timings?

What PSU model is being used?

Antec earthwatts 430. We have dozens of these since they come in the antec cases we generally buy.

Does the user have a UPS or surge protector?
Surge protector.

So did you accomplish changing the timings? has it reset since you changed the timings?

No did not do that.

IBT only tests CPU, mainly, so try Prime95 blend test, as it will test both RAM and CPU.
IBT maximum or whatever its called had allocated 3.5GB out of the 4GB I have in the system. However I am not sure how it uses the ram. Will run prime if I see this again.

Back