SSD caching software? (Not iRST or RAPID)

Burn23

Gawd
What SSD caching solutions are good, aside from Intel RST and Samsung Magician RAPID mode?

From my experience Intel RST is great, but the size limit of 64GB is a bit small these days (256GB would be ideal) and I feel that it's only real benefit is for disk configurations different than my own. Perhaps in a dual-disk environment on the same controller, where you're using the SSD as a a boot disk and the HDD as everything else this works really well, but not so much in my case.

I have 2 RAID volumes of SSD's, one for the system and another for high-availability databases, etc. These exist on a PERC RAID controller.

My media volumes are on-board Intel z77 (currently 3x3TB RAID0), and I've recently been looking at a way to increase transfer speed with this volume. I was recently using Intel RST to accelerate this volume, but there were little perceived gains when transferring large media files.

Instead, I'm looking for a way to use SSD-caching or SSD-tiering the way a home NAS implements caching. That is to say, when I push huge amounts of data to the volume, it will send it all to the SSD cache first for my cached writes; regularly accessed data in the volume would be kept available in the SSD for cached reads.

Unfortunately, I've not had the option of experimenting with Samsung Macigian. I've heard good things about the RAPID mode, but since my Samsungs are the system partition on the PERC controller, this doesn't quite work.

A proper SSD caching setup won't improve large media file transfers - your 3x3TB RAID0 will serve those up just fine. With that arrangement, your bottleneck could easily be the interface your using. Onboard SATA?

What's your backup strategy? A RAID0 like you have isn't a safe long-term solution. Sounds like you would be well suited to invest in a home NAS. ZFS based solutions let you do SSD caching, and it's trivial to build a setup that can fully saturate a gigabit Ethernet connection if performance is important.

I don't know if it's an option for you but Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces with Tiered Storage works fine for me.

I have 8x SSHDs and 2x SSDs in my storage tier with 2x SSDs for the OS. With power-shell you can set the size of the write-caches and the rest is handled dynamically (the tiered storage part) plus you get data-deduplication.

A proper SSD caching setup won't improve large media file transfers - your 3x3TB RAID0 will serve those up just fine. With that arrangement, your bottleneck could easily be the interface your using. Onboard SATA?

What's your backup strategy? A RAID0 like you have isn't a safe long-term solution. Sounds like you would be well suited to invest in a home NAS. ZFS based solutions let you do SSD caching, and it's trivial to build a setup that can fully saturate a gigabit Ethernet connection if performance is important.

Fully agreed on all points.

I don't know if it's an option for you but Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces with Tiered Storage works fine for me.

I have 8x SSHDs and 2x SSDs in my storage tier with 2x SSDs for the OS. With power-shell you can set the size of the write-caches and the rest is handled dynamically (the tiered storage part) plus you get data-deduplication.

I actually just started reading about Storage Spaces right after I posted this thread. This is looking like a VERY attractive option right now.

I have a few weeks before I move forward with the implementation, so plenty of time to research this. Just waiting to get a new graphics card (MSI GTX760 ITX) so I have room for my remaining two 2TB HDD's. I should also wait until I have all drives ready for implementation, as it looks like there are still some issues with rebalancing.

I wish there was a complex calculator that would tell me my resultant space when combining drives of different sizes. This also provokes some REALLY interesting tiered storage ideas that I'm dying to toy with. Generally though, I will likely be using 3x3TB HDD + 2x2TB HDD + 2x256GB SSD's. I am assuming resultant space for Storage Spaces with 1xParity is ~RAID5.

Last edited:
don't know if it's an option for you but Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces with Tiered Storage works fine for me.

Too bad the tiering in storage spaces doesn't support read caching.

Back