SSD and XP

No, but you won't be able to use TRIM, causing your SSD to slow down significantly over time and usage.

Also, why are you still using XP? It's an 11 year old OS. :confused:
Just advice, but if you want to stick with the Windows scene, go with 7, you will not be disappointed.

Actually XP is still the most dominant OS but yeah I don't know if I should hold out for Win 8 or just buy Win 7 now........(or wait for Win 8 is released and buy Win 7 at a discount?)

Anyway maybe l should hold off until I get Win 7 or 8, If TRIM isn't supported then there is no reason to get a SSD if XP will shorten the life of it.

If TRIM isn't supported then there is no reason to get a SSD if XP will shorten the life of it.
TRIM has nothing to do with an SSDs lifespan.

TRIM wiil let the SSD recover free space more quickly but GC will do 95% of the exact same thing while taking longer.

TRIM is just an advanced GC but there are many ways around it.

I ran my first SSDs on XP and now run RAID neither of which have TRIM and it's not a problem.

I really don't care if you buy an SSD or not but just thought you should have an understanding of the situation. :)

I really don't care if you buy an SSD or not but just thought you should have an understanding of the situation.
Oh, you care. ;)

Actually XP is still the most dominant OS
That does not make it the best Windows OS however.
It is buggy, bloated, does not support the latest drivers and software properly, and is horribly prone to viruses and malware.

XP was a great OS for its time, and seeing how long it has lasted in the market place was a testament to that.
But seriously, really consider going with 7, it is leagues faster and less bloated, even on the exact same hardware.

As for the SSD, yes, TRIM will help keep performance up, but without it, the lifespan will remain the same, performance will just lessen over time/usage.

Other than that, no, XP will run a SSD just fine.

performance will just lessen over time/usage.
Let's not forget to mention that a Secure Erase will remedy those maladies if needed. :)

OP do what you want but don't let a simple TRIM command be the deciding factor.

An SSD is by far the best performance investment you can get.

But seriously, if you haven't purchased one by now you probably don't need it. ;)

Good luck on whatever you decide. :)

Let's not forget to mention that a Secure Erase will remedy those maladies if needed. :)

OP do what you want but don't let a simple TRIM command be the deciding factor.

An SSD is by far the best performance investment you can get.

But seriously, if you haven't purchased one by now you probably don't need it. ;)

Good luck on whatever you decide. :)

I need an upgrade over my 36Gb Raptor, there just isn't enough space on it any more. What would you recommend as an upgrade over my Raptor for under $140 bucks?

BTW I think I will use XP for a little while longer before I purchase windows 7.

I need an upgrade over my 36Gb Raptor, there just isn't enough space on it any more. What would you recommend as an upgrade over my Raptor for under $140 bucks?

BTW I think I will use XP for a little while longer before I purchase windows 7.

Oh wow, even a 500GB WD Green drive would blow that thing out of the water.
Hell, one Green would blow two 36GB Raptors in RAID0 out of the water, I know because I have tested it.

Seriously, that HDD is ancient, anything you buy will be leagues faster than it is.

If you don't need more storage than a SSD has to offer, get a WD Blue/Black or Seagate Barracuda.
Wow, I gave my last Raptor away since it was so slow, and noisy.

It was a great drive up to 2005, not so great for 2012.
No wonder you want to upgrade! :p

I need an upgrade over my 36Gb Raptor, there just isn't enough space on it any more.
LOL!

Say What? :)

I'de be lucky to get w7 installed on there. :)

I really haven't kept up on mechanical drives since moving to SSDs @ 3 yrs ago.

It doesn't sound like you need much room and because you could buy a pretty good SSD for 160.00 it'd be really hard for me to recommend any mechanical drive.

SSDs like this Crucial are pretty hard to beat for the money.

Good Luck!

Oh what are you talking about, using SSDs is nonsense!
Why, when you were my age, you were using these:
ade384a9c9a75e_o.jpg.jpg

:D :D :D

Alignment might be another tricky thing with Win XP.

It's a shame that people are stuck on ancient operating systems because it's so expensive to upgrade. A decade in software is the equivalent of a century in human time.

i ran Win2k through 2010. Loved it... but damn, that's a long time to wait for an upgrade. Went to Ubuntu back then and haven't looked back. Keeps my system up to date with a 6-month release cycle.

Make the partition with gparted (an up to date one) and align to 1MB.

thanks for the info here. I have been wondering the same thing as the op. I have a work laptop I am stuck with xp on and have been considering swapping in a SSD.

What is that thing?

What the post above me said. :D
Who needs 2.5" SSDs when you can have a 56" HDD. :p

i ran Win2k through 2010. Loved it... but damn, that's a long time to wait for an upgrade. Went to Ubuntu back then and haven't looked back. Keeps my system up to date with a 6-month release cycle.
2000Pro was my favorite Windows OS as well.
If you like Ubuntu, give Mint 12 or LMDE a try, much more robust with even more features and customization capabilities.

If you like Ubuntu, give Mint 12 or LMDE a try, much more robust with even more features and customization capabilities.

If they can't de-derpify gnome shell or unity by 12.04, then yeah I'm going to switch to Mint + Cinnamon. :)

Who needs 2.5" SSDs when you can have a 56" HDD.
Holey Momma! LOL!

Was that experimental or did someone actually use it?

What's the case look like? LOL!

I skipped that version.

Back