SR-2 Optimization Thread

SR-2 for light gaming.....LOL
lulz, yeah.. I am not a hardcore gamer.. I play EVE Online, Borderlands, and will be playing Diablo III when released so definitely light gaming compared to people who play Crysis at high settings 24x7. :p

No its just funny you said it.

I mean hell i have an SR-2 and dont even own games :)

The Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W should handle that. I'm using one on my SR-2 rig and someone else (edit: may i be worthy previously in this thread) has one too. The nice thing is it has all the necessary cables, like dual 8-pin CPU power.

Im using a Antec 850w signature

EDIT: w/ adaptor

Last edited:
500W for the SR-2 + 300 max for the GPUs - 1000W should get it. Sazan makes a great point on the cables - you need two of the 8 pin MB cables. The Corsair 750TX at least only has one, and I am guessing most other PSUs one have the one as well. You either need a PSU with two or an adapter.

BTW, I briefly had dual GTX 295s folding on the SR-2, before I overclocked the CPUs. The Enermax handled it well.

500W for the SR-2 + 300 max for the GPUs - 1000W should get it. Sazan makes a great point on the cables - you need two of the 8 pin MB cables. The Corsair 750TX at least only has one, and I am guessing most other PSUs one have the one as well. You either need a PSU with two or an adapter.

Even a TX 950 only has 1 8pin PSU connector, if you are a corsair fan you are looking at either an adapter ot an AX 1200, YMMV with other psu's but most antecs only have one cable

Yea i should have said I am using an adaptor. I already had one laying around from a previous build :)

The Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W should handle that. I'm using one on my SR-2 rig and someone else (edit: may i be worthy previously in this thread) has one too. The nice thing is it has all the necessary cables, like dual 8-pin CPU power.
i also have one on my sr2/dual GTX470 rig

fantastic PSU.

there might be a sale still going on....lemme check

Mine is actually the 1250w - I had to cover my bases for later this year when my 3D rendering software gets GPU rendering - I might want to go to 2 to 4 GPUs. And seeing I am at 600w folding with nothing on the GPU...

It is much quieter than the Toughpower 1200w I had before, and a bit more efficient, which is always nice (saved 11 watts idle, 27 watts load).

Highly recommended.

@ lehmann "that is the sexiest mess i have ever seen!"
Yes, the scale of this machine does not come across in photos, but it is one sexy beast. I started tidying cables then I decided to just clump them together with a twistie and use a few more case fans to make sure cool air is getting through.

Last edited:
Kendrak can you post your final settings?
I am having problems getting over 190BLCK.

Kendrak can you post your final settings?
I am having problems getting over 190BLCK.

If you have it stable at 190, that is as far as I've gotten.

I'm going to make a push either tomorrow or next weekend to see what I can get stable. I'll update if I can get anything past 190 stable for more than 25 hours.

Well Im LINX stable at 200blck

200blck
multi: 17
QPI - 4.8
Mem Div: 800 (2:6)
Mem Timing - 8-8-8-20-1t
VCore 1.375
VTT 1.375
IOH 1.4

Still cant get Turbo working on either procs. Havent really messed with memory yet still running 2:6.
Does someone have a good guide for OC memory? I have no idea what the timings and stuff even means.

200blck
QPI - 4.8
Mem Timing - 8-8-8-20-1t
VCore 1.375
VTT 1.375
IOH 1.4

Still cant get Turbo working on either procs. Havent really messed with memory yet still running 2:6.
Does someone have a good guide for OC memory? I have no idea what the timings and stuff even means.

If you hold while folding, I'll give this a try tomorrow.

200blck
QPI - 4.8
Mem Timing - 8-8-8-20-1t
VCore 1.375
VTT 1.375
IOH 1.4

Unless I'm really missing something, those settings wouldn't work for me. Couldn't even get a successful boot out of it. Do you have any screen shots you're willing to send out to Kendrak & I of your BIOS sscreens?

I did enable turbo though after returning to my older settings, and the multi went up to 18 instead of the default 17, so I'm running somewhere in the neighborhood of 3465 Mhz or something like that with it engaged (from 3.2 Ghz)

I tried -bigadv at a cpu voltage of 1.350 and it was a no go, but I seem to be able to run A3 units on it all day long at that freq & voltage (194bclk and core of 1.350) I may try -bigadv again tomorrow at 1.375 core and VTT.

Will try to get some pics up tomorrow, will prob be more like monday night tho.

SR2 #1 x5650 Overclock settings

SR2#2 x5660 settings here: SR2#3 x5680 settings here:

EDIT 22/12/10 - updated all BIOS pics - turns out to cope with 6701s I needed more vcore to eliminate approx once a week bluescreens. Also, it turns out CPU0 needs more vcore than CPU1. Anyhoo -this is current.:D

See original post with components http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036089513&postcount=7

This is my main workstation, with 2 GTX-460s, and 12 dimms = 24GB. This means it is not overclocked as aggressively as SR2#2 and SR2#3. Folding is 630watts or so - about 50watts of that is the idle GPUs and 6 extra DIMMS.

All my work is using Shaminos template as a starting point. I am not an expert. While I have been overclocking since the Abit BP-6 days, I only do it every few years. I have no deep understanding of what all these things do or mean. I use experts settings as a stating point, then methodically test. Your mileage may vary.

TIPS:

Photograph your screens! The saved settings frequently vanish. Also as you learn things you can then go back and see what the settings were on something you did not realise was important.

Reset CMOS every so often. This board does not always boot up and behave the same way with the same settings - this problem has been pretty much eliminated for me by loosening memory settings, but often after mucking around with memory timings or the MCH you might find things misbehaving. Known good settings fail Linpack in 5 mins, but reboot and change nothing and they pass 12 hours. It sucks, and wastes a ton of time.

I have not tried to drop vtt - it might be stable with less. It does need at least 1.40v IOH, and 1.38vcore. EDIT 22/12/10 - nope - needs 1.375v vtt- 24GB needs more than 12GB to be stable (1.350v for 6 x 2GB dimms)

Not every vcore step is equal! Look at Eleet and the reported voltages there. While they might not be super accurate, they do match the experince I had, in that sometimes going up one step of vcore has a dramatic effect on both stability and boosts the effective voltage more than another step. For example, going from 1.38125 to 1.38750 did very little, but going up one more to 1.39375 has a big impact.

BIOS setting - eleet reporting CPU0, CPU1

1.38125v BIOS = eleet CPU0: 1.38v, CPU1: 1.35v
1.38750v BIOS = eleet CPU0: 1.39v, CPU1: 1.36v
1.39375v BIOS = eleet CPU0: 1.39-1.40v, CPU1: 1.38v

4.0GHz / 182 baseclock stable settings are the same, except change:
CPU0 vcore 1.33125v
CPU1 vcore 1.30625v
1.35v vtt
1.35 IOH.
Uncore at 19x
= saves 90W, about 10c cooler

Issues here: your uncore should be 2x your memory divider. Here memory is at 1066 = 2:8, so we want the 2133/16x divider. EDIT 22/12/10 - Nope WRONG - up until A50 this setting did nothing! Now is does a lot - set to 18x to start. - forget the 2x thing.
MCH strap - the higher the strap, the lower the memory performance, and thus the higher you can go on the BCLCK overclock. So start at 1600 while you find your BCLCK/CPU limits, then lower later to whatever you can get that is still stable. Set your memory settings manually, as if you leave them on auto they will change with the MCH strap: SPD on mine MCH-1600 sets tCL tRCD tRP of 11, 11, 11 etc, 1333 sets 9, 9, 9 etc and 1066 sets 7, 7, 7, 20 etc.

I did capture a P2685 work unit, and restarting it each time use it as a benchmark, changing just the MCH. (reconfig client to ask before talking to their servers! You do not want to! Then just delete any non *.dat files in the work unit folder to start again) It is not super repeatable (you will see about 5-8 second variance running it , and I only ran this once, so take it for what it is)

First frame of captured 2685 unit times:

MCH 1600 - 13 mins 24sec
MCH 1333- 13 mins 23sec
MCH 1066 - 13 mins 01sec
MCH 800 - 13 mins 13sec

EDIT 22 Dec 2010: Ok, that was pre NUMA disabled days... here is current benches on Musky's benchmark.

Frame 1: 11 minutes, 23 seconds
Frame 2: 11 minutes, 23 seconds
Frame 3: 11 minutes, 23 seconds
Unit: 2686
Frames: 3
Total run time: 34 minutes, 9 seconds
Average frame time: 11 minutes, 23 seconds = 160,355ppd

Frame 1: 1 minutes, 1 seconds
Frame 2: 1 minutes, 2 seconds
Frame 3: 1 minutes, 1 seconds
Frame 4: 1 minutes, 1 seconds
Unit: 6061
Frames: 4
Total run time: 4 minutes, 5 seconds
Average frame time: 1 minutes, 1 seconds

First, my CPU guide to clear things up.
original.jpg

A50 BIOS.
large.jpg

Disable NUMA here... but do it last, after you have saved your settings, and many cannot boot without loosening timings.
medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
folding temps at 21c ambient.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Memory. If like me you try to get 24GB working with 12 DIMMS, expect to come back here often. Try to keep 1T timing as long as possible - it makes a 3% difference to folding times. They say you should increase vtt and/or loosen timings to cope with all DIMM slots being filled - when I had my problems going up to 1.40vtt had no effect, but loosening timings did. And expect weirdness ; 7 8 7 20 and 8 9 8 24 boot up, but 8 8 8 24 (in between) will not.

NOTE - these are loose because I am running 4 kits of 3 = 12 DIMMs for 24GB, all slots filled. The default timings are 7 8 7 20 9 64 5 5 5 24 1T auto(0) 64 65 66 - so you can see at my guesses for loosening things in rough proportion.

Worth setting each setting manually, apart from Back to Back CAS delay. see discussion here:

medium.jpg

Voltages: You cannot see it here but set "Without vDroop" at the top of this screen.
medium.jpg

medium.jpg

SIGNAL TWEAKS: These settings are supposedly important, I can't say they have made a huge impact, I just used shaminos starting points and have kept them. From evga forum: "basically the biggest (-) value that allows the MB to boot up consistently (@ ~ 1.35v to 1.40v IOH) will be the optimum value for oc. IOH QPI 1 signal is not as important." EDIT 22/12/10 - I now run -90 on all - it provides a tiniest performance boost - like about 1 second on bigadv. :cool:

medium.jpg

Last edited:
I'm A3 stable with most of the settings that "May I Be Worthy" posted above. I'm currently at 197 BCLK and running 3546.11 Mhz - tried it at 200 BCLK but my first A3 crashed and burned about 8% into the run, so I backed down to 195, finished a WU and then moved it back up to 197. Current have a 6051 running 1:13 second frame times, 60% complete.

Voltages are the same as he listed, temps are running low-mid 60's so there is still more room there, but I'm a little wary of pushing the core up too much because I'm not sure what these extra spicy chips can handle yet, and I'm not quite ready to throw away invested money on a whim...:p

What's the max voltages you guys are at so far, and where are you seeing your clocks?

I have run 1.4V actual Vcore (I think it was 1.399 in the bios HW monitor) with no damage done. It didn't gain me anything, though.

So what is the best clock you've been able to get on your SR-2 so far, and just outta curiousity, how much juice are you pulling at the best setting. I plugged in my kill-a-watt meter and it show's me pulling 512 watts! Was hoping it might be under that just a bit...:rolleyes:

Well I lost my -bigadv at 96% last night :mad:

So I'm giving IMBW's settings a-go.

Voltage is a bit higher than I'd like to run on some things but, go big or go home I guess.

I'm running the settings the same (including RAM) but with a 195 BLCK.

1:14 TPF on a 6076...... lets see how it holds out

So what is the best clock you've been able to get on your SR-2 so far, and just outta curiousity, how much juice are you pulling at the best setting. I plugged in my kill-a-watt meter and it show's me pulling 512 watts! Was hoping it might be under that just a bit...:rolleyes:

202 x 18 = 3636

That is my best clock speed, not my fastest setting. My fastest setting was 198 x 18 = 3564.

I'll mess with my machine later this afternoon and post settings. One is at 195 x 18 now, the other is at 185 x 18. The slower one has memory issues at anything over 185 (2:8 setting), so I may back it down to 2:6 and see if it will go higher and if higher = faster in this case.

Anyone check there wattage use on these loads? I was curious about that as well...

I was around 470W at 191x21 or 4ghz with 32nm quads before I added my gtx470s

Figured out why my Turbo wasnt working.

I have the power settings in Windows Set to Balanced, they have to be set to high performance so the OS requests the highest processor performance state (P0).

I thought the turbo was +2.....mine is only showing +1 (18)

Figured out why my Turbo wasnt working.

I have the power settings in Windows Set to Balanced, they have to be set to high performance so the OS requests the highest processor performance state (P0).

I thought the turbo was +2.....mine is only showing +1 (18)

On the retail version of the chip that is true, but that would have been another $500+

I think individual cores can turbo up to +2, but all 4 or 6 cores can only turbo up to +1 at the same time

Temps are good - high50's - low 60s, but i have hit quite a wall at 200blck.

I have everything set the same as MBIW does above except im running 200blck.
I just cant seem to get my box to post above 200. i have even upped the voltages loosed timings to 11-11-11-29-1t.

Getting past 200 is going to be a chore.

sr-2-200blck.jpg

Last edited:
I just swapped out my X5650s and swapped in the L5640s. For reference, all I did was reset my BLCK to 133 in BIOS before I swapped the chips, and on the next boot the new CPUs were detected by all other BIOS settings were preserved.

I'm running a quick LinX pass to make sure the new chips are good, and it looks like they are. I'll try out some of these settings and report back. The P2684 wasn't going to finish today anyway, so I have some time to play around.

These are my BIOS settings for 200blck w/ turbo. I am using Gskill 1333 mem w/ 2x L5640s ES.
I have run 5 passes of Intel Burn Test on Maximum strees at 32 threads, and i ran a bigadv for a while.

Im sure it go higher, but i think my memory is holding me back. That or maybe i just cant get the timings right.
DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0972.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN0974.jpg

DSCN0975.jpg

I thought I've read that on the SR-2's you can disable unused PCI-E slots. Is this true? If it is true, would this help stabilize high OC's?

If there is nothing plugged into the slot i wouldnt think it would have any effect.

I was able to duplicate nitrobass24's overclock on my L5640s. I used the same BIOS settings except my own memory settings (8-8-8-24 and Auto everything else) and ACPI T State disabled.

I was also able to run at 180 BCLK using my old settings (see page 1, but basically 1.30 Vcore, 1.35 Vtt and IOH). Both were tested with a couple passes of LinX at 10GB. Since I could never get past 175 before, I think my X5650s must just be bad overclockers. :(

Nitro, drop that memory down to 800 and see if that helps get you above 200.

Back