Squeezing the last out of my IB9

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
For graduation my parents gave me a budget of < $600 for a computer upgrade. I would go for i7 but to get the processor, mboard, memory, and vid card, it would far exceed that, plus I also REALLY need a new case, as I have lost the door to this one, so therefore I need to get the last bit out of my otherwise fine Abot IB9 board.

Anyway, the IB9 uses LG775. All the upgrades are basically the best that will work with this board, but the processor is the big problem.

I want a quad core and the LGA 775 has a couple of quad options; the "best" choice is the very expensive and very sold out Q6600 with a 1066 bus (note: there are open box Q6600s on newegg, but that makes me extremely nervous and is basically a last resort), which IS marked as compatible with my board. The other options are 1333 bus which have been marked as NOT compatible.

I am assuming that this is because the chipset does not support a 1333 bus, only 1066. My question for everyone is, will I be able to grab a 1333 bus chip, drop it to 1066, and just crank the multiplier? I can't think of a reason this would not work, but I just want to be sure. The only concern I can imagine is that it may not want to boot at all since the chip asks for a 1333 bus.

If anyone has done this or can test it I would be much obliged to hear your story.

Back