Square Enix bringing Final Fantasy IX to the PC

Derangel

Fully [H]
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oDeSJI0qJc

With all of the English in the above trailer, and including the translated version of Melodies of Life, it looks like this will be releasing outside of Japan as well. There is a version coming to smart phones as well, but who cares about that?

FF9 was my favorite of the PS1 Final Fantasies and depending on the day is either my second or third favorite game in the series (it's basically tied with 6 so they trade places). Interestingly FF9 was the only FF game from the PS1 and PS2 era not to have been given an updated International version in Japan.

I really really hope SE doesn't fuck this one up as badly as they did the port of FF6. From the trailer it looks like they're keeping the original graphics and not messing around with things.

While I enjoyed the game, it's late and incredibly dated. Seems more like a $2.99 cell phone game than anything to get excited about.
If you're a serious fan, just emulate it or play the old one.

While I enjoyed the game, it's late and incredibly dated. Seems more like a $2.99 cell phone game than anything to get excited about.
If you're a serious fan, just emulate it or play the old one.

I don't own the PS1 discs anymore and personally I'd rather have it and play it legally. That said, we'll see how this turns out and how much SE tries to charge for it.

You know, a little off topic, but Vivi would be a great character to bring into Smash Bros.

Would've been nice to see the character models cleaned up a bit - these old PSX games haven't aged the most graciously. I've been trying to play Chrono Cross on the Vita and it's hard for my superficial self to look past the graphics.

You know, a little off topic, but Vivi would be a great character to bring into Smash Bros.

Would've been nice to see the character models cleaned up a bit - these old PSX games haven't aged the most graciously. I've been trying to play Chrono Cross on the Vita and it's hard for my superficial self to look past the graphics.

While it would be nice to see cleaned up models given how much SE royally fucked up withe the mobile and PC version of FF6 I think I'm okay with them leaving stuff alone.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oDeSJI0qJc

With all of the English in the above trailer, and including the translated version of Melodies of Life, it looks like this will be releasing outside of Japan as well. There is a version coming to smart phones as well, but who cares about that?

FF9 was my favorite of the PS1 Final Fantasies and depending on the day is either my second or third favorite game in the series (it's basically tied with 6 so they trade places). Interestingly FF9 was the only FF game from the PS1 and PS2 era not to have been given an updated International version in Japan.

I really really hope SE doesn't fuck this one up as badly as they did the port of FF6. From the trailer it looks like they're keeping the original graphics and not messing around with things.
With the way Squeenix has been handling the PC versions of all the FF games I'd rather just stick to playing the originals. FFIX is part of my ripped PSX library so I can just fire it up in an emulator any time I want, while both increasing the resolution and keeping the original artist's intent. FFIX, though, is definitely one of my favorites.

Now, if they could bring FFXII International Zodiac Job System over to English on any platform I would be all over that like white on rice.

HMMMM might have to bite on this one, was suuuch an underrated game IMO

Currently playing the play store version. They definitely updated the graphics and sprites (mainly) considerably. Gonna beat the android version first then I'm gonna play it again in 3d With my gear vr and epsxe emulatoe

Reading the reviews on Steam, it sounds like they added more PC QoL features to this release as well.

The PC port for this one has touch controls if you play on a Windows tablet. I wish more cross-platform games kept touch support when they make it over to Windows.

The PC port for this one has touch controls if you play on a Windows tablet. I wish more cross-platform games kept touch support when they make it over to Windows.
I also read that those using a mouse can move characters by clicking around on the screen like an ARPG, which is a welcome addition.

I also read that those using a mouse can move characters by clicking around on the screen like an ARPG, which is a welcome addition.

Yes, the mouse support and touch support work identically. You can either tap or click on things to select or move. It's great, and if you never need/use touch support, you never need to know it's there.

The only thing I don't like is the menu in combat is kinda big

Other than that, it's pretty much the definitive version

edit: like fucking seriously it blocks the left most character, shit
it's actually pretty irritating

Last edited:
I assume it has controller support? Would be nice to re-play FF9 again given I never was able to complete it due to a bug right near the end of the game. (and moron here only having the one saved game...) Got disgusted and turned it off given I would have had to re-play the entire freaking game.

I'm having a good time with FFIX. IMO FF3(6) > FF7 > FFIX > FF8 (I hated the draw system)

Played for a few minutes and oh wow. The quality difference between characters and backgrounds, damn. Was running it at 4K and yikes. Those backgrounds do not scale well up to 4K.

Back