Spy Ware From Hell!!!!

SquiDDy

Limp Gawd
Ive ran just about everything i have available to me to get rid of this sack of crap, and it wont go away

there is something messing with my internet explorer :(

when ever i open up IE or i type a address into the address bar, it takes me to C:\searchpage.html, i don't know why its looking at my hard drive for this page, but i want to get rid of it, i have ran spy bot search and destroy, ad aware, and webroot spy sweeper, but nothing will undo this spawn of Satan.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Ian-

try these programs

Ad-ware 6.0
Spybot
Spy guard
and
spyware blaster

they are all free.. just google for them

make sure you use them all.. some will catch things the others didn't.. abd make sure you check for updates before you run them... post how it goes.. hope it helps you out

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
try these programs

Ad-ware 6.0
Spybot
Spy guard
and
spyware blaster

they are all free.. just google for them
In addition, remove IE as your browser. IE is easy for marketers to hijack, and is a cesspool of sloppy code and security hazards. Mozilla Firefox is immune to all of the spyware hijacking that I've ever seen. But you still need to run a spyware control program such as Ad-Aware or Pest Patrol

^ this guy speaks the truth.. as a matter of a fact i'm downloading firefox as we speak.. i've heard much good about it so i'm gonna try it right now :D

Mozilla Firefox RC .9 was recently released. It has a few bugs, but overall I would recommend it over the official .8 release in order to support debugging and new development. I hope you enjoy Firefox as much as the rest of us do. :)

thx for all the help guys, but have already ran pretty complete spyware programs, all but pest patrol, and spy guard, ill give them a run today, to see if it helps out, if it doesn't, i was gonna re install windows anyways, so.. but mozilla does look pretty spiffy, anyway to transfer favorites?

Mozilla can easily transfer favorites, Opera does it on installation to it's own folder called 'Imported IE favorites', and is a much smaller d/l and better browser than Mozilla (IMO). I would also suggest after you get your pc back to a working condiditon, that you re-name iexplore.exe to a .old file or something so that it cannot run! (why the hell can we not uninstall IE?)

IIRC, System Mechanic has got some spyware protection/removal and is a great registry cleaner, system tweaker. You may wish to use the trial to see if you can get that to clean up your system. I used it on my neighbors and it cleaned out Coolweb and a few other crappers that install some .reg keys.

It will be nice when MS gets SP2 out so that hopefully most of this crap gets stopped with their increased security (I'll believe that when I see it), as too many people are internet noobs (I'm not calling anyone here that) and just don't know any better. It's these people's machines that become the cocoons for virus/spyware reproduction.

THC

surprised nobody mentioned the other two must haves...

cwshredder and hijackthis

in addition to running all of those, spybot (in the advanced mode) has a thing under the tools menu called BHOs (Browser Helper Objects)

After running all the programs listed, disable any BHOs left (except any that are actually legitimate, adobe is probably about the only one you might have any need for).

Also, check to see what is starting on start up and try disabling it there. A lot of them will come back automatically, but some don't. Also, sometimes seeing it in the startup thing in msconfig can allow you to find where the files are, and some can be manually deleted.

well, somewhere down the line i fixed it today, i don't know which program exactly, as i ran like 4, then checked, but its gone, for good i hope

thx for all the help guys, just proves even more that [H] is the best

Back