SpinRite 6.0 On Modern Chipsets

parityboy

Limp Gawd
Last night I tried to use SpinRite to repair a drive passed to me by a friend. I installed into my system in the normal way (it's an internal). However SpinRite failed to detect any drives at all. As a test, I removed the faulty drive and tried booting with SpinRite again, and again the same result: SpinRite detected no drives at all.

My board is based on the H55 chipset. The last time I needed to use SpinRite, my computer was an Asus PC-DL Deluxe board (i875P chipset) and SpinRite worked fine.

Can anyone confirm if SpinRite will work on a modern chipset?

Many thanks. :)

@drescherjm

Actually no I didn't even think of that. They're in AHCI mode...ok I'll give that a try. Cheers! :D

drives can't be meaningfully repaired by software. spinrite is a relic of another time.

so unless you're stuck on a desert island and need this last drive to keep chugging along until it finally dies, RMA the drive, it's dead jim

You don't understand what SpinRite does. If you did, you would not want to use it. It's a relic for a reason.

So what does Spinrite do? I'll quote Wikipedia: "SpinRite attempts to recover data from hard disks with damaged portions that may not be readable via the operating system. When the program encounters a sector with errors that cannot be corrected by the disk drive's error-correcting code, it tries to read the sector up to 2000 times, in order to determine, by comparing the successive results, the most probable value of each bit. The data is then saved onto a new block on the same disk; it cannot be saved elsewhere."

Did you get that last part? It only saves the data it recovers to the same disk.

And that is why you should never use it.

Steve Gibson and his products have always given me a scam vibe. I stopped listening to Security Now when he started talking about woo like Vitamin D megadoses and Dianetics. The Spinrite testimonials he reads sound fake.

@drescherjm

Well IDE mode worked, so cheers for that. I also had to put the ports into Legacy IDE rather than Native.

@thread

SpinRite actually does what it says it does. I use it in those situations where the drive cannot be reliably read; usually SpinRite brings the drive up to a condition where I can actually get the data off of it. In this particular case, I was able to copy data off of the drive that I could not copy before. SpinRite is NOT a data rescue application in its own right, but can (and should, if necessary) be used in conjunction with one.

I was able to copy data off of the drive that I could not copy before

ddrescue can hammer a disk too, only instead of re-writing the found blocks to the same disk, you write to a new disk, avoiding the whole "hammering a broken disk without rescuing the data" thing

ddrescue can hammer a disk too, only instead of re-writing the found blocks to the same disk, you write to a new disk, avoiding the whole "hammering a broken disk without rescuing the data" thing

very different pieces of software. sorry but ddrescue does not compare to spinrite

I have used spinrite to be able to get data off of drives when nothing else worked.

It works as intended, and very well for what it was made to do.

Yes, it is slow, but if you really need the data, it will make it possible to get the data if at all possible.

Back