Spent months building a website then the client stole it...

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Ive never had this happen so Im not sure what I should do. Literally spent 100+ hours building this website and the wealthy company apparently paid someone else less to steal my site and host it onto a different server. Exact same graphics, code, etc.

Thoughts?

Ive never had this happen so Im not sure what I should do. Literally spent 100+ hours building this website and the wealthy company apparently paid someone else less to steal my site and host it onto a different server. Exact same graphics, code, etc.

Thoughts?

Did you secure half of your payment up front? Did you show them the site running privately then offer t put it live in exchange for the rest of payment?

If not, you should have.

Either way, you need to talk to a lawyer.

Also, did you have a contract? That will be helpful and also if you were invoicing them periodically though the process and received payment those will be good leverage. Along with all email communication and obviously the source files. Much easier to deal with this if you were working on private server versus theirs like stated above.

You will need a lawyer and probably file in a small claims court if you can't resolve.

Have your attorney send them a letter notifying them of their legal violations immediately.

This was hosted temporarily on our web hosting so they could view it since they were out of state. A face to face meeting wouldve been impossible.

The code still has plenty of references to our design studio. We invoiced them for a deposit that they did pay for and have plenty of emails and communication going back and forth acknowledging payment. Not only did they steal our design and original artwork but we purchased a decent amount stock photography for the site that they do not have licenses for but our company does.

If this was something about a few hundred dollars then it wouldnt be too bad and we would drop it but seeing as how weve never gone after anyone (especially someone thats very wealthy) and have at least a couple grand invested into various things... we pretty much have to go after them and need advice or else the last month or two is wasted with potentially a ton more money down the drain with lawyers and what not.

Its like going to work and your boss writes a hot check or the company closes down and puts you out on the street.

I dont have a genmay membership anymore I dont think. I bought one way back when but then at some point I wasnt able to access it anymore... =O

Get a lawyer and have him send them a bill for what you expect you would have gotten paid.
or if it is < 10k sue them in small claims court.
They don't show = payday for you

This was hosted temporarily on our web hosting so they could view it since they were out of state. A face to face meeting wouldve been impossible.

The code still has plenty of references to our design studio. We invoiced them for a deposit that they did pay for and have plenty of emails and communication going back and forth acknowledging payment. Not only did they steal our design and original artwork but we purchased a decent amount stock photography for the site that they do not have licenses for but our company does.

If this was something about a few hundred dollars then it wouldnt be too bad and we would drop it but seeing as how weve never gone after anyone (especially someone thats very wealthy) and have at least a couple grand invested into various things... we pretty much have to go after them and need advice or else the last month or two is wasted with potentially a ton more money down the drain with lawyers and what not.

Its like going to work and your boss writes a hot check or the company closes down and puts you out on the street.

From the bolded part it sounds like they're in violation of the DMCA, so you should have no problem getting their site closed until this is resolved.

What jiminator said.

Have a lawyer send them a well worded letter demanding payment. If that doesn't get you anywhere and if it's under the limit required (think it varies from state to state), you can take them to small claims.

Small claims is a little different, you can't have a lawyer with you at your court date; basically the judge will hear both parties out and make a ruling. This is good for you because the company can't send a lawyer in their place to intimidate you.

Did you actually give them access to the code? Or did they just have someone scrap the site for it's content?

Hosting on a private site won't protect your work.... as you can use a website saver program to save the entire site. I would contact your lawyer friend (everyone has one) and ask him to write a letter to them about paying you for your work or else face legal actions.

I would have done a web conference demo.

I wouldn't have done business with thieving assholes. Unfortunately, what's done is done & it's time to get the lawyers involved.

I wouldn't have done business with thieving assholes. Unfortunately, what's done is done & it's time to get the lawyers involved.

You don't always know a business will steal your work. However, one should almost always assume the worst and prepare for that. I normally don't show "development" work, and instead will only show mock-ups demonstrating functionality and design. If I'm dealing with a new client, I'll water-mark the designs.

the letter followed by small claims sounds like a sure way to get paid if the case is as cut and dry as it sounds, but you are going to have to prove all that content is your original work i imagine

When making a website for someone and you need to show them, always do print screens. Even the, you should put some kind of watermark on it.

Though they are still in the wrong, I would persue this with a lawyer as suggested.

When making a website for someone and you need to show them, always do print screens. Even the, you should put some kind of watermark on it.

Though they are still in the wrong, I would persue this with a lawyer as suggested.

this is what i used to do! water mark and screenshot / pdf.

This works both ways; I commissioned a buddy of mine to do some design work and he went and used the design for his own personal website - he put me in a really shitty position.

Also, I had an email this week to renew my dotfuscator subscription. Now that thing is the best insurance policy I have!

Back