Speed up Photoshop?

CAD OC'er

Limp Gawd
are faster hard drive required in order for faster speeds when opening large psd's?
I generally work with 100+ mb psd files, so would getting a couple of raptors make opening and saving files faster?

go into options and seletct that PS use 100% of memory i dotn know if you are doing that right now.

100% use of memory is crippling dont do that..

set some scratch disks on indepedant drives..that should speed things up . yes harddrives do make a difference

thanks, I tried that, but it didn't help at all in initial opening time. cpu usage was at <4% so I still think it's my hd's as I already have 2gb of ram.

CAD OC'er said:
Thanks for the tips, but I think that I'll still have get faster hard drives...

Unless you just want to spend the money anyway, measure the problem first.

hmmm...missed that

well photoshop itself is limited to 2GB as a process
as would be the OS likely, meaning a given process cant employ greater than 2GB, the OS "in total" can likely deal with 4GB
(a 64bit OS differs, but it would still be limited by the ap, Photoshop has no plans to up that)
If you where running more than 2GB you could devote a full 2GB to Photoshop and the rest would be for other aps, background processes and the OS, but you likely wouldnt see a great increase in performance and it also wouldnt impact the open\save issue

in thus case RAM isnt the factor slowing opening or saving
opening Photoshop itself is slowed by loading up the various elements which if Im not mistaken also includes checking installed fonts, if your able to keep the ap and fonts defragmented and near the outer diameter of any given HDD platter youll get both lower latency and higher sequential transfer
as opposed to the armeture flailing around all over the disk accessing bits here and there

same goes with reading the file your opening or writing the file your saving

most of the time Im saving a file, I have no problem since it being written to the RAID5 array and rarely exceeds the on card cache (128MB), the initial opening is another matter since often its being read from a flash drive. opening a PSD generally isnt so bad since its been saved to the RAID5 and reads are quite good across 6 HDDs (WD 40GBs)

while investing in faster drives would likely improve both your reads and writes
as Inquisition pointed out optimizing your disks first is a good idea

ideally 3 disks (or disks & arrays) on three channels

1. OS\ap\pagefile say IDE0\Master accesses > opening the ap, checking fonts, OS memory paging

2. Scratchdisk say IDE1\Master > Ap memory paging and history

3. Storage Disk or array PCIcard > read from load into memory and save to.

seperate channels avoids any concurrent access problems
seperating your Performance space from your storage space and keeping all of it optimally located and defragmented can pay big dividends
if you cant swing 3 channels & drives, seperating 1&2 effects ap performance the most
3 effects opening and saving, you can also employ partitioning to forstall fragmentation see my 1st link above

you might get as much bang for you buck from a $25 PCI controller card, a 20GB 7200rpm HDD and a good defrag ap as you would out of a 10k Raptor
(depends on your current level of optimization)

and as mikeblas pointed out learning to measure and log your performance is a good idea

Start > Run > (type) perfmon.msc > help

RandysWay said:
What's your complete specs, OP? What kind of processor do you have?
P4 2.8E @ 3.2 on an Abit IS7-G
2x TWINX1024-3200C2PT
1x 36 WD Raptor for XP Pro

BTW my average layout is on 11x17 600 dpi or 24x36 300 dpi. I create site plans, renderings, and those big and small maps you see in malls that say "You are here"

Your specs are close to mine.. Mine's a 3.0C @ 3.3 (damned thing is all it goes..) and same memory, but a 74G raptor. I work with 42x36 @ 300dpi on a regular basis and it loads very quick over here.

I have 40+ layers, mostly text non-vectorized, and sometimes it takes 5min or more to load a 128mb psd. Saving takes about 3 - 6 mins.

Mine are on average 25-30 layers. The timing sounds like way too much.. opening usually takes around a minute and a half and saving about a minute.

Back